Sign in to follow this  
Celestial Lizards

No Gauntlet Fighter Confirmed!

49 minutes ago, Celestial Lizards said:

There is NO WAY that FFG would release Maul without his own ship. I think this is conclusive enough to determine that there will be no Gauntlet fighter for a long, long time.

It is used a lot more by the Mandalorians, especially this season of Rebels, so there is still hope.*

I think the biggest barrier is it straddles a line between a large ship and a huge ship.

*OTOH, that means we'll probably see Sabine in one.

Well, we're all pulling from the same universal pool here. The issue is more the scale of the Kom'rk and it's applicability. As shown in the source and in Armada, Imperial Mandos are using the Gauntlet. Scum like Maul and freelance mandos are using the Gauntlet. But then Ezra has taken control of the Nightbrother, and also Kom'rks flew against Thrawn's fleet (including Chimera) to back up Phoenix Squadron. 

So assuming you wiggle the gauntlet to be about ghost sized, who gets what? Is it like the H-6, mostly scum or imperial but with one Rebel pilot, Ezra? Probably not as impressive as Nym. Is it like a most wanted level box, full cards and upgrades for all three factions? 

But, we don't even know if they'll make the Gauntlet for XWM because of it's incredibly awkward size in scale. 

After the ghost, which they pretty much had to make, I don't think we will see many ships that are not clearly large base nor clearly a huge ship. The gauntlet fighters move more like a large base but they'd also be very awkward to physically move around, like the ghost is.

It's always been the size that has kept the Gauntlet/Kom'rk out. I For those who've not checked, Wookieepedia has it roughly 8m longer and 18m wider than the VCX-100 - that's roughly 30mm longer and 67mm (!) wider than the already unwieldy Ghost.

Granted, it's not completely inconceivable that they could put the Gauntlet in game - it's thinner than the Ghost, so the weight of plastic is probably similar, but I suspect it would need another custom peg because it would be relatively easy to tip over/potentially break the peg given how much overhang there would be.

That, and the fact that it would be by far the biggest ship in the 100/6 game, and probably one of the costliest to design, might not matter if it was a popular enough ship (see: The Ghost). But while this showed up a few times on Rebels and TCW, it's a long way from the most important ship in the show. The sales to the casual crowd probably wouldn't justify making it.

Edited by MacchuWA

I think they will make it. 

It is all over Rebels, FFG already has it for Armada & the Ghost showed that they were willing to think outside the box for large ships. 

I do think it would have to be a large & not huge ship to keep the flavor...

8 minutes ago, BadMotivator said:

Darth Vader's crew card didn't come with his TIE Advanced. Luke Skywalker's crew card isn't in the original core set. 

IG-88, Boba Fett, Latts Razzi, Kyle Katarn, Jan Ors, Nien Nunb, Lando, Han, Chewbacca... Seems putting a pilot and crew card in the same pack is the exception rather than the rule.

8 hours ago, MacchuWA said:

Granted, it's not completely inconceivable that they could put the Gauntlet in game - it's thinner than the Ghost, so the weight of plastic is probably similar, but I suspect it would need another custom peg because it would be relatively easy to tip over/potentially break the peg given how much overhang there would be.

Thats not even the biggest problem. It'd need one peg under each wing. The connection between the wings and the fuselage would be 8mm in diametre and the wings are pretty long. If you put miniscule forse on the wingtip the torque would lead to the connector shearing off pretty easily.

Next problem: I scaled a top view of the Gauntlet on a A4 sheet and compared it to the Falcon modell.
That thing is twice as wide and long as the YT-1300.
This leads to even more issues:
- Tipping over is definitely a big problem
- The overhang is half a Falcon each side; you'd pretty much never place the model on the table. Just the base.

Scaling is not a factor for this ship being put in the game. The hounds tooth got scaled down, the scurrg got scaled down, the hwk got scaled down.. (I could keep going but I think my point is clear). If they want to put it in the game they will scale it down. The hounds tooth is actually comparable in length, I get the gauntlet is wider but FFG historically manipulate scale and base size to suit their in-game design for the ship. I mean we're about to get 24m long interceptor class ship on a small base, why? Because it makes sense it terms of mechanics. 

30 minutes ago, BVRCH said:

Scaling is not a factor for this ship being put in the game. The hounds tooth got scaled down, the scurrg got scaled down, the hwk got scaled down..

Nope, not really.
The Hounds Tooth has different length givin in Legends and Disney Canon. Disney is going with 47m which is around 6 inches in 1/270.
The HWK is ca. 15m in every scene it appears in. The 25m figure is most probably a typo in one source book, as the ship is allways portrayed smaller.
The Scurrg is indeed a bit smaller than it should be.

17 hours ago, MacchuWA said:

Its wing also 'spins', so there is no reason they have to model it flat.  The B-Wing we got is up-and-down, after all, to make it better fit in the game, rather than it's more famous pose...

BWingsKillISD2-ST.jpg

No reason the Gauntlet couldn't be as easily oriented up-and-down on the wing, which solves most of the problem with the base balancing.

Edited by xanderf

Nien Nunb was a crew before he was a pilot. He's no former Sith Lord, but it eatablishes precedent that we can still get Maul in a Gauntlet. Further precedent from the Scurrg being in Armada first and then coming to xwing suggests that the new gauntlets armada is getting might come over to xwing eventually too. 

Edited by tortugatron

22 hours ago, UnitOmega said:

Well, we're all pulling from the same universal pool here. The issue is more the scale of the Kom'rk and it's applicability. As shown in the source and in Armada, Imperial Mandos are using the Gauntlet. Scum like Maul and freelance mandos are using the Gauntlet. But then Ezra has taken control of the Nightbrother, and also Kom'rks flew against Thrawn's fleet (including Chimera) to back up Phoenix Squadron. 

So assuming you wiggle the gauntlet to be about ghost sized, who gets what? Is it like the H-6, mostly scum or imperial but with one Rebel pilot, Ezra? Probably not as impressive as Nym. Is it like a most wanted level box, full cards and upgrades for all three factions? 

But, we don't even know if they'll make the Gauntlet for XWM because of it's incredibly awkward size in scale. 

I wouldn't mind if they kept it pure scum with Maul, Pre Vizsla, and Bo Katan. I also wouldn't mind if they instead wanted it to be a pure unqiue ship like the ARC-170 with Gar Saxon as an Imperial pilot, Ezra as a rebel pilot, and Maul and mostly likely Bo Katan as pilots for Scum.