Marinealver

Discard vs Flip

So with the new Chopper Card there has been many questions about the wording of discard and what it means.

swx72-chopper.png

Given the new mechanics for dual cards and upgrade recovery with cards like adaptability there is some confusion on what chopper does when say used on a dual card like adaptability. The rules are not so clear (something that should be priority over the meta) but I don't know if there is any specific rules. So I guess discard means it goes away, however the word "flip" is not necessarily flip but a shorter word for recover, unless on a dual card in which it means flip this card. Also dual cards can only be flipped by themselves. Let me know if you have a better interpretation.

Huh, i was sure this hole had been closed already due to boba (crew) but i can't find it.

Edit: ahah! Tournament rules  III 4a . 

"A dual card should be placed under the ship card it is attached to. A dual card under a ship card is considered facedown"

Edited by Ralgon

27 minutes ago, Ralgon said:

Huh, i was sure this hole had been closed already due to boba (crew) but i can't find it.

Edit: ahah! Tournament rules  III 4a . 

"A dual card should be placed under the ship card it is attached to. A dual card under a ship card is considered facedown"

19 minutes ago, kris40k said:

They already cleared that up. For dual-sided cards, you place it underneath the pilot card when is has been "discarded".

Given how many rules in the tournament section of previous FAQs have been discarded (pun not exactly intended) that is not a stable place for such ruling to exist. I can count many tournament regs that have been left out in later versions.

35 minutes ago, Arkanta974 said:

We truly need a X-wing 2.0, to much things, so confusing !!! Bring back wave 1 ! Simple and Easy ! :P

I don't think simple and easy would be the thing but refinement is absolutely needed. 

I still stand behind X-wing is a miniatures game and not a card game but maybe the answer is to put more of the card game into it. So 2.0 with a new wave comes a new update pack that replaces the pilot and upgrade cards of ships from the past wave(s). So an idea is every wave that is released the last two waves to be released is updated. Keep all the pilots but give them new pilot cards with new abilities point costs upgrade slots. By the time the update packs reach the currently released waves start back at wave 1 and a new series.

On 11/11/2017 at 3:22 PM, Marinealver said:

Given how many rules in the tournament section of previous FAQs have been discarded (pun not exactly intended) that is not a stable place for such ruling to exist. I can count many tournament regs that have been left out in later versions.

This is why I wish for the sake of all X Wing customers they reprint the changes... In a year or two it's going to be crazy stupid remembering how each card had been changed, especially if the change it a few times.

7 minutes ago, Archangelspiv said:

This is why I wish for the sake of all X Wing customers they reprint the changes... In a year or two it's going to be crazy stupid remembering how each card had been changed, especially if the change it a few times.

I was referring more to the changes in tournament regulations that are no longer in the latest iteration of the FAQ.

For example the last worlds where there was that so called "dial gate" where one player who was playing jumpmaster w/mindlink was caught on stream apparently changing their dial in the activation phase. Before the FAQ was split into tournament, epic, and standard it was stated in tournament play that changing dials in activation phase will not be tolerated. On the next FAQ was where they split it up into the huge ship, tournament, epic tournament, and standard FAQ and said ruling was no where to be found. Now granted this was before Stay on Target so there might have been good reason to omit such strict rulings and it wasn't left out due to some oversight.

Another example involving dials was in the mirror match where in the tournament section it stated that players may place their dials on their pilot cards instead of the play mat to avoid players accidentally picking up their opponent's dial. Again in our latest FAQ it was no where to be found meaning in one of the many changes said ruling was omitted.

So that is what I mean about the tournament rulings is not a good place to put rules because rules have a tendency to "disappear" from that section.

Just now, Herowannabe said:

They don’t disappear, they just get flipped face down. :P

(sorry I just had to do it)

That is until disappear is put in the regular rules. Would be a hard mechanic to simulate on the table top, might just be putting 2 cloak tokens down on one ship.;)

Edited by Marinealver

On 11/13/2017 at 0:17 AM, Rhaivaen said:

"to many", not to much.. simple and easy ;)

There are too many things to remember, perhaps they should print 2.0 card packs and give them to many players. 

;) just because this is a page about words and meanings and such, I know what you both meant....

On 11/10/2017 at 9:41 PM, Marinealver said:

image.png

And flip means recover.

Unless it is on a dual card

Swx66-intensity.jpg

But yeah I think we can both agree that discard does not equal flip.

Yeah, this is where XWM has gotten very sloppy about game mechanics.

When you discard a card, where does it go?  There is not discard pile for this game, so apparently a discarded card does not actually leave play, which is what I would have always have thought.

Scavenger crane seems to indicate it is not actually discarded at all, just flipped over, ready to be flipped back.

Reload has the same verbage:

latest?cb=20170821152205

So, discard = flipped over, unless it's a dual card, in which case flipping over is not the same as discarding.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiggggghhhhhttt.

16 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

So, discard = flipped over, unless it's a dual card, in which case flipping over is not the same as discarding.

Do we know this for a fact?  Maybe Chopper can just be used infinitely on dual-sided upgrades, as you continuously discard (flip face-down) whichever side is currently face-up.

2 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

Do we know this for a fact?  Maybe Chopper can just be used infinitely on dual-sided upgrades, as you continuously discard (flip face-down) whichever side is currently face-up.

See post #4 in this thread.

3 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

That's odd.  Because when we casuals don't like the state of the game, we are told to shut up because we can do whatever we want anyways.

I am casual. If you are looking for how FFG would officially handle the interaction, its written right there.

But as always, if you aren't playing official events, do whatever you want anyways. Heck, fly Gundams. Apparently that's a thing now.

Edited by kris40k

7 minutes ago, kris40k said:

I am casual. If you are looking for how FFG would officially handle the interaction, its written right there.

But as always, if you aren't playing official events, do whatever you want anyways. Heck, fly Gundams. Apparently that's a thing now.

Flying Gungans?!  "The Jedi of Oz" is much, much scarier than this galaxy's version!