Boba Rick

One Card to Help Almost All the Weaker Rebel Ships

So obviously the T-65 and B-Wing need help, and I think that in a post-Biggs meta the ARC-170 and Y-Wing could use something to make it tougher as well. 

I was wondering if there was a way to add the something like the reinforce ability to these ships WITHOUT buffing the K-Wing, T-70, or Nym?

Something like this:

Reinforced Shields

2 Points

Modification: Rebel Small Ship Only.  You may not equip this if your pilot card contains the Boost or Reinforce action or a Missile Slot prior to equipping modifications.

Your upgrade bar gains an additional modification slot.   

Action: At the beginning of the combat phase, if you have at least one shield token on your pilot card, you may place 2 additional shield tokens by your ship.  When suffering damage, discard these tokens before discarding the token(s) on your pilot card.  You may only attack once per round this game.  At the end of the combat phase discard any shield tokens by your ship and receive one stress token.

Soooo.....  there are some requirements here that some might consider this a little odd and lengthy, but have you seen the condition cards?  I am trying to start a discussion here about an upgrade that will help (notice I didn't say fix) a bunch of ships at once while not helping ones that don't need help.

My logic:

Small ship only:

I think the only large base ship that is blatantly terrible is the U-Wing.  That is something that can be addressed on its own and it's been popping up in Rebels so it could happen.  Sure the VCX is hurting, but I think it still has some game left.

Boost, Reinforce and Missile exclusion:

This excludes the following ships from this:

A-Wing

Auzituck Gunship

K-Wing

Scurrg

T-70

Z-95 Headhunter

The only ship here that I think could use help is the A-Wing.  If there's a special A-Wing in the newest movie then consider it helped through a future expansion.

The following ships are eligible to receive this upgrade:

ARC-170

Attack Shuttle

B-Wing

E-Wing  -  Corran loses his double-tap if he equips this though.

HWK-170

TIE Fighter

T-65 X-Wing

Y-Wing

Yes, it makes Rex a little tougher...  but he's going to have to have to add a shield upgrade.  That means your Rex is going from 14 points to 20 points and if your opponent wants Rex dead he's still going to die.

Point cost:

2 points so that quad TLT didn't just get stronger. 

At the same time, I still think the other ships need to be able to effectively equip another mod to really help them get over the hump. 

Action requirement:

So this makes you REALLY tough, but you just spent your action which means you're going to hit like a wet noodle UNLESS you have PTL, EI or some other way of getting another action.  This limits your maneuverability, you can't do a K-Turn and count on this. 

Action text:

"Beginning of combat phase" - meaning Snap Shot and Bombs can still bypass this.

"if you have at least one shield token..." - important so that this isn't available the entire game, but it is there for the alpha strike where it's really needed.

"Suffering damage" - things that give you a damage card bypass this.

"You may only attack once per round this game." - no double tap for Corran for the entire game.

"end of the combat phase discard any shield tokens by your ship" - Of course.

"and receive one stress token." - This is only natural thematically, plus it's another cost but not over the top.

Okay, so this is my idea and if you think it's terrible please say why and offer an alternative.  I honestly think I'm on to something here, but of course it would need work. 

Ideas?

I think it's an okay idea. But, I disagree with you on the ARC-170 and the Y-Wing needing any help. As you mentioned, you don't want to boost TLT carriers, but the Y-Wing boasts great shield and hull for it's cost. The ARC-170 is a hands-down better base chassis than the T-65 and it is plenty durable. If you simply allow this to only be assigned to T-65's and B-Wings, I think you'd find the card much simpler to draw up. As for trying to help the E-Wing, I think you'd want to try and add something to further embrace the Interceptor-y style of ship that it was meant to be rather than make it more of an assault fighter.

I think if I were to create a similar card, I'd do something like this:

Reroute Power: Shields

Rebel Only. T-65 X-Wing and B-Wing only. Dual card. Modification.

At the beginning of the Combat Phase, place one [two] shield token on this card. When you are defending, you may remove shields from this card instead of from your ship. At the end of the Combat phase, if there are any shield tokens on this card, discard them.

During the End phase, you may flip this card to discard any Weapons Disabled tokens from your ship.

Reroute Power: Weapons

Rebel Only. T-65 X-Wing and B-Wing only. Dual card. Modification.

When attacking with your primary weapon, you may change one blank result to a Focus result.

Action: Assign your ship a Weapons Disabled token to flip this card.

I think this way is a very thematic representation of getting reinforced shields for these assault fighters. I think this could work for the E-Wing and the ARC, but I don't think it makes a lot of sense on the Y-Wing, since it really is a very different class of ship.

The X-Wing, the B-Wing, and the E-Wing all have 3 attack dice primaries and the ARC has a sort-of 3 attack dice primary with the Alliance Overhaul. So, they could all go together, I suppose. Still, I don't think the ARC needs any help as it is well-balanced and the E-Wing needs help with it's dial or action economy to really make it shine.

This would allow B-Wing and X-Wing pilots to choose offense or defense for this round. This is a reactive card that only requires a little planning on high PS ships. I don't really know if there is an offensive boost needed on the weapon side or what. You could trade Weapons Disabled for stress. 

Otherwise, I'd suggest that when you are trying to create a fix for help ships that need it, it is better to address each one individually, rather than make a sweeping fix. That way, you can tailor the card to the needs of each ship without adding a ton of words to restrict it. Also, try to make sure that your concepts use phrases that are already implemented to reduce confusion (e.g. "assign shields to this card" rather than "beside the ship" or "when defending, if you take damage" rather than "when suffering damage"), it'll make bringing them into casual X-Wing games much much easier.

Edited by Praetorate of the Empire
I'm not sure why it's strikethrough and can't seem to fix it...

9 minutes ago, Icelom said:

So unbelievably overpowered.

Luke with +2 HP everyturn and R2D2 invincible ship. Basically 3 sheids Regen every turn.

I am so glad done of you are not game designers.

Forget luke, he just made 3 tlt golds + a z95 insane to kill

10 minutes ago, Icelom said:

So unbelievably overpowered.

Luke with +2 HP everyturn and R2D2 invincible ship. Basically 3 sheids Regen every turn.

I am so glad done of you are not game designers.

Well, if you actually read everything, Luke wouldn't REGEN those two shields, he'd get them temporarily. To be fair, I didn't make it clear to get rid of them at the end of the Combat phase, but that is the concept. Mine also has the trade-off of deciding whether to not attack or to attack and not get the bonus.

And the OP said to offer an alternative, not to simply throw an "Overpowered", poorly written flag on the play. 

10 minutes ago, Praetorate of the Empire said:

Well, if you actually read everything, Luke wouldn't REGEN those two shields, he'd get them temporarily. To be fair, I didn't make it clear to get rid of them at the end of the Combat phase, but that is the concept. Mine also has the trade-off of deciding whether to not attack or to attack and not get the bonus.

And the OP said to offer an alternative, not to simply throw an "Overpowered", poorly written flag on the play. 

Thank you.

It's very frustrating when you take the time and effort to present an idea and people just call it horrible and then leave.  It's rude and small-minded.

If it's horrible, then why?  If you can tell me why then perhaps we can find an alternative or a tweak.  What could be changed about it?

Edited by Boba Rick

14 minutes ago, Praetorate of the Empire said:

You literally have to do more the 3 damage to him in a turn to have any damage stick.

It's insanely overpowered that's my opinion on it.

I still see what they meant about it though. If you can regen a shield a turn (as R2 needs a green, so you'll clear your stress), it means you can ALWAYS use this ability, meaning for the entire game you could have 2 more health no matter what.

I feel a similar but slightly less powerful card for x's and y's would be a dual card, one side increases your primary weapon value but reduces your agility, and the other side does the opposite.

Also, if they did go with a bonus shield thing, I feel having it be an action would be 2 steps forward 1 step back for the T-65. It just needs a straight up boost to itself.

1 minute ago, InterceptorMad said:

I still see what they meant about it though. If you can regen a shield a turn (as R2 needs a green, so you'll clear your stress), it means you can ALWAYS use this ability, meaning for the entire game you could have 2 more health no matter what.

I feel a similar but slightly less powerful card for x's and y's would be a dual card, one side increases your primary weapon value but reduces your agility, and the other side does the opposite.

Also, if they did go with a bonus shield thing, I feel having it be an action would be 2 steps forward 1 step back for the T-65. It just needs a straight up boost to itself.

I do feel that this kind of fix for x's and b's (see above mention of y's not really needing help) is an S-foils card. They both have them, so they could have very similar effects.

1 minute ago, Praetorate of the Empire said:

I do feel that this kind of fix for x's and b's (see above mention of y's not really needing help) is an S-foils card. They both have them, so they could have very similar effects.

Xs and Bx need a boost for sure, I was just hoping to find a way to boost all the needy ships at once.

Just now, Praetorate of the Empire said:

Yeah a designed an S-Foils card myself the other day. One side you get to reroll a focus or blank when attacking, the other side you get all green banks and a weapons disabled token. 1 point mod, you get to equip another mod if it is 2 points or less. And you can't equip it if you have a tech upgrade slot (so it only helps the T-65 not 70)

Leaves space for the T-65 and B to get titles too.

Make it 1 point or free and a discard if your intention is to help with the alpha strike. The wording with "Action: At the beginning of the combat phase"  is a little weird. I wouldn't worry about the snap shot interaction, as it would still take away the shields if hit. Either go action or at the beginning of the combat phase. (you can have it remove all focus and evade tokens from your ship). 

As is, with Luke or Corran (or any ship with regen) it will be near impossible to kill 1 on 1.

7 hours ago, Boba Rick said:

Nevermind.

Chopper.

Pretty much.

Oh and put TLT ptl ezra kanan on the board with that title and just try to kill him.  minimum 3 dmg mitigated with auto focus?

unless you've got bumping game or stress control good luck!

My thinking along these lines was an Astromech rerouting power to shields (and possibly weapons), worded along the lines of.

"Action: if you do not have a stress token, gain a stress token to add one shield token to your ship, discard any tokens over your maximum shields at the end phase."

So, it takes an action, gains a stress, can't be used with stress,adds a single shield token, and can't increase your shields beyond their max level except while it is being used. Kind of like R2, but more restricted than just Green Maneuver. I was inspired by X-wing, moving power from engines to shields to weapons, and using stress to indicate power drain. It could just as easily be a Modification instead of droid, but I just like having droids on my X and Y wings.