dietz057

Twin Troopers: Only You Can Help Revive the Smuggler Box

I actually have put together a very similar list, but have yet to put it on the table. Ahsoka rubbed me the wrong way when I've used her, and has never been an issue when I've played against her. Aka, I'm not a fan haha. 

I value CC draw, so Rebel High Command is really hard to pass on. I like Gideon because Jynn (especially) and Han can really use their surges, and the added range for Jynn is essential. I really like Ko-Tun if nothing else for the free damage she gives to figure (or blocks...looking at you Jynn) but especially for Deadly Precise. Removing X-men is HUGE haha. I don't have her in my list, but over the past couple days, have been trying to fit her and have come up short so far haha. 

[2] C-3P0
[9] Drokkatta
[3] Gideon Argus
[12] Han Solo
[4] Hera Syndulla
[0] Heroic Effort
[5] Jyn Odan
[3] R2-D2
[2] Rebel High Command
[-2] Rogue Smuggler
[1] Targeting Computer
[1] Trusted Ally

Targeting Computer and Trusted Ally I'm really just meh on, and would consider Balance of the Force as well. Losing R2 wouldn't bother me either, but it only offers me 5pts (including the upgrades) and I don't like dropping both RHC and R2 (love me some card draw haha). Maybe, like you mentioned, dropping Gideon and R2 is worth it, but that also brings me down to 6 activations. 

Love the insight you've provided though. Lots of food for thought!

I won a kit tourney with the following.

[12] elite Alliance Rangers
[12] Han Solo
[-2] Rogue Smuggler
[5] Jyn Odan
[3] Gideon
[2] C-3P0
[4] Hera Syndulla
[2] Alliance Smuggler
[2] Rebel High Command

With the smuggler box, and the necessity of evades/dodges for Han/Jyn, I prefer Stealth Tactics to Brace for Impact. On the Lam is also great to run Han/Jyn up where they can get some shots off and be able to run back to 3PO safety.

2 hours ago, wannabepudge said:

Targeting Computer and Trusted Ally I'm really just meh on, and would consider Balance of the Force as well. Losing R2 wouldn't bother me either, but it only offers me 5pts (including the upgrades) and I don't like dropping both RHC and R2 (love me some card draw haha). Maybe, like you mentioned, dropping Gideon and R2 is worth it, but that also brings me down to 6 activations. 

I'm working on a smuggler list with chewie, and I just entered in a love case with Balance of the force, mainly because is a 0-cost debts repaid, and still have 15 points to use. But even without Chewie, I think balance of the force is a stronger card, due to the new CC power in the last expansions.

1 minute ago, Mantis731 said:

I'm working on a smuggler list with chewie, and I just entered in a love case with Balance of the force, mainly because is a 0-cost debts repaid, and still have 15 points to use. But even without Chewie, I think balance of the force is a stronger card, due to the new CC power in the last expansions.

I think at the time i just got bored trying to decide and just went with Trusted Ally. Although I do really like it for Jynn.

@dietz057 have you considered Lando? He'd add to the Stun possibilities with his SURGE for Hide, Stun. With 8 health and a built-in defense reroll, you could also use him as an objective runner. You'll likely want him Focused for his first attack so he can get his Hide & Stun chain started, so you'd likely have to bring in Gideon. The most logical list from that would be:

• Han Rogue-lo (10)
  • Ahsoka "I Went To Jedi Academy And All I Got Was This Lousy T-Shirt" Tano (8)
  • Lando Calrissian, Sexy Scoundrel  (6)
  • Jyn "Not Erso, Damnit, I Was First!" Odan (5)
  • Hera Syndulla, Space Mom (4)
  • Gideon (3)
  • Threepio (2)
  • Rebel High Command (2)
  • Heroic Effort (0)

So with Lando & Gideon as being the figures added, you'll definitely want to add Prepare For Battle (2). I don't know if you've played with it much, but I love it for higher-cost Leaders like Lando, Han and Ahsoka. I think New Orders (3) might be worth including, but you also couldn't go wrong with On The Lam (3). 

1 hour ago, cnemmick said:

have you considered Lando? He'd add to the Stun possibilities with his SURGE for Hide, Stun. With 8 health and a built-in defense reroll, you could also use him as an objective runner. You'll likely want him Focused for his first attack so he can get his Hide & Stun chain started, so you'd likely have to bring in Gideon

I think that he wants the extra attack from Jyn, and if Lando is making a run for objectives it kinda breaks the idea of the "Smuggler's box". So I think Jyn is better thinking about how the list works.

Firstky, I’d like to echo all the other sentiments here, that this is another great article.

When describing the role of each non-negotiable deployment card, I couldn’t understand Ahsoka. If the role is to kill off figures with one or two Health left, then isn’t Ahsoka’s 3 dice attack overkill? If the role is to be able to rush out of the box, kill something and then rush back, is her speed really high enough?

For the role you describe, I wonder if Jedi Luke would be more effective. Positioned within the Smuggler box, he would also make the decisions for your opponent even harder. Now, when they attack Han they face Return Fire and Luke Deflecting damage onto another unit. When they attack Jyn they risk giving her critical movement points that set her up for a devastating attack in the subsequent activation, and the possibility of removing heavily wounded figures from the board.

Unfortunately, I think that Gideon is also critical for this list. As you’ve mentioned on the podcast a few times, focus is strongest on figures with enough powerful surges that they can reliably gain 2 damage. Running the numbers with Han shows that when Focussed he has >60% chance of killing a eWeequay before rerolls, and with rerolls he will have a strong chance of one shooting a eRanger.

Edited by Georgedpalpatine

In addition to the Command Cards in the article and the responses, I think that there are some others that need Tom be considered (at least).

Stealth Tactics - the white dice is more powerful than the black when paired with cunning.  I see this as more of an “and” Brace For Impact rather than “instead of”.

Tough Luck - in a world with rerolling eWeequays, eRangers, Vader and Officer’s Training, this CC can either completely negate an attack, or remove three damage.

Run for Cover - for all the same reasons as Tough Luck!

Slippery Target - it’s less effective, but you’re likely to see lots of Vader and Jedi Luke, making this invaluable at removing a huge attack.

Force Illusion - it’s pricey, but again, it can be the difference between an attack missing, or putting huge damage on one of your figures

Camouflage - much less versatile than Force Illusion,  but may fulfill the same function.

There is still a big weakness in the list though, in how it deals with white dice figures. Should you come up against a Force User list with Jedi Luke, Ashoka, Davith and maybe Leia then you have no way to mitigate the dodge. Element of Susprise is a must (in my opinion), and there’s also a case for Jyn’s One in a Million.

Perhaps though, the best counter is just that white dice figures generally can’t survive the Hunters, and so few people willl play them.

Edited by Georgedpalpatine

Has anyone tried Leia with Han and/or Chewie. I've been using Ahsoka for a while and I'm starting to find her a bit lackluster.

Something like:  
Han + upgrade
Leia
Elite Rangers
Jyn
C3PO
Gideon

Otherwise, you can swap out the Rangers for Chewie and still have 1 point left over.