Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Slugrage

SW: Rebels - Phoenix Squadron X-Wings

Recommended Posts

Man, I remember in the LucasArts PC games, it was a big, multi-'episode' (mission) arc to get the B-Wings into service, before they saw active combat.

Same with the TIE Defender, actually.  And, at least for the TIE Defender, 'Rebels' seems to have shown some respect for that - we got our first teaser of it considerably before we saw the first prototype, and it's been a very gradual development.

But the X-Wings are just...what, appearing out of thin air, this week?  Hera needs to liberate Lothal, and, oh, here's a whole bunch of super-advanced fighters nobody has seen or heard of before - go ahead and win the battle with them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, xanderf said:

Man, I remember in the LucasArts PC games, it was a big, multi-'episode' (mission) arc to get the B-Wings into service, before they saw active combat.

Same with the TIE Defender, actually.  And, at least for the TIE Defender, 'Rebels' seems to have shown some respect for that - we got our first teaser of it considerably before we saw the first prototype, and it's been a very gradual development.

But the X-Wings are just...what, appearing out of thin air, this week?  Hera needs to liberate Lothal, and, oh, here's a whole bunch of super-advanced fighters nobody has seen or heard of before - go ahead and win the battle with them!

Well I hope I'm right, but considering we've been getting double Episodes so disney can cash in Rebels and start working on a new series related to "From his nap" (Episode 9, or really the sequel trilogy in general), Next week will be another two parter, first part explains how the Rebellion got X-wings in the first place, 2nd is the beginning of the attack on the factory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They gave Wedge the correct helmet color scheme!

Wedge_Antilles.jpg

though it isn't exactly the same.

 

at least this should stop the "maybe the X-wing was designed to fight the Defender" speculation.. the Rebellion already has X-wings, even before they got the Defender data. which should have been obvious, since the Rebellion was already using U-wings (including groups that had left the main rebellion some time before, like Saw Gerrera), and the U-wing was designed well after the T-65 X-wing according to the current continuity)

and i don't think we're going to get a story of how they got them.. next episode is the attack itself, which will take up the episode time. there isn't enough room for an X-wing origin story as well. my guess is that they are leaving the X-wing origin story offscreen for now, with at most a comment or two about Incom and difficulty. an offscreen story allows them to devoite a whole novel or comic run to the story, and use characters other than the ghost crew.. who already have been involved in so many major events of the rebellion forming. leaving it offscreen avoids the claim that the Ghost crew does everything.. and allows it to be told in a grander form than a 20 some minute episode.

 

Edited by mithril2098

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FlyingAnchors said:

Well I hope I'm right, but considering we've been getting double Episodes so disney can cash in Rebels and start working on a new series related to "From his nap" (Episode 9, or really the sequel trilogy in general), Next week will be another two parter, first part explains how the Rebellion got X-wings in the first place, 2nd is the beginning of the attack on the factory.

I wish, but sadly no.

This week's upcoming episode is a 1-off, rather than the 2-per-night we've been getting, and then we are into the winter break until 2018.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, xanderf said:

Really?

That's.....

The one 'big thing' that the rebellion is missing between the start of season 3 and a new hope (Y-wings, Namecheck Gold Squadron, Namecheck Wedge) is getting X-wings, one of the most iconic bits of the setting, and they just magically appear with no explanation?

Especially since one of the big themes of the last season and a bit is "the imperials are building a super-advanced new fighter, what are we going to do about it?" - the response 'go get some new fighters of our own' - seeming a pretty sensible answer.

28 minutes ago, mithril2098 said:

and i don't think we're going to get a story of how they got them.. next episode is the attack itself, which will take up the episode time. there isn't enough room for an X-wing origin story as well. my guess is that they are leaving the X-wing origin story offscreen for now, with at most a comment or two about Incom and difficulty. an offscreen story allows them to devoite a whole novel or comic run to the story, and use characters other than the ghost crew.. who already have been involved in so many major events of the rebellion forming. leaving it offscreen avoids the claim that the Ghost crew does everything.. and allows it to be told in a grander form than a 20 some minute episode.

Actually, I kind of wanted it to be Saw Gerrera's lot who acquired them pre-splitting off from the Rebellion Proper (or even splitting off as a result of the aftermath) - that explains how Saw's boys also have X-wings despite there being no connection between the two by the time of Rogue One.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RIP Phoenix squadron. 

Can we have our T-65 upgrades please? °_^

 

13 hours ago, xanderf said:

But the X-Wings are just...what, appearing out of thin air, this week?  Hera needs to liberate Lothal, and, oh, here's a whole bunch of super-advanced fighters nobody has seen or heard of before - go ahead and win the battle with them!

Super Advanced my ***, they are flying next to 25 year old clone wars Y-Wings and don't make the Y-Wings obsolete. That's how advanced they are :P

 

8 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

I uh.

Where did these X-Wings come from? I sure hope they touch on that. I'm sure they will but...  I mean...

From the Yavin cell who had X-Wings all along. And btw, considering how many people blame rebels for doing too much, it is highly ironic that people actually want the rebels crew to get the X-Wings for the rebellion. :P
They already got the Y-Wings for the dodona cell, should this not be enough? Let the Dodona cell actually do something successful themselves :P

Edited by SEApocalypse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

5 hours ago, xanderf said:

Man, I remember in the LucasArts PC games, it was a big, multi-'episode' (mission) arc to get the B-Wings into service, before they saw active combat.

Same with the TIE Defender, actually.  And, at least for the TIE Defender, 'Rebels' seems to have shown some respect for that - we got our first teaser of it considerably before we saw the first prototype, and it's been a very gradual development.

But the X-Wings are just...what, appearing out of thin air, this week?  Hera needs to liberate Lothal, and, oh, here's a whole bunch of super-advanced fighters nobody has seen or heard of before - go ahead and win the battle with them!

In the old lore, there were X-wings already in production and the Rebellion stole them and used them not long after. In their first battle they won easily, partly due to shock value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GreenLantern1138 said:

 

In the old lore, there were X-wings already in production and the Rebellion stole them and used them not long after.

While a first run had been made, they were more "prototypes" than "production models"

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_Fresia

though the Rebels did conduct another theft mission afterwards:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Empire_12:_Darklighter,_Part_3

 

in addition to beginning production of their own.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SEApocalypse said:

RIP Phoenix squadron. 

Can we have our T-65 upgrades please? °_^

 

Super Advanced my ***, they are flying next to 25 year old clone wars Y-Wings and don't make the Y-Wings obsolete. That's how advanced they are :P

 

From the Yavin cell who had X-Wings all along. And btw, considering how many people blame rebels for doing too much, it is highly ironic that people actually want the rebels crew to get the X-Wings for the rebellion. :P
They already got the Y-Wings for the dodona cell, should this not be enough? Let the Dodona cell actually do something successful themselves :P

They definitely didn't have X-Wings all along, we'd have seen them by now. They're likely a recent addition, but from who or what?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SEApocalypse said:

They already got the Y-Wings for the dodona cell, should this not be enough? Let the Dodona cell actually do something successful themselves :P

To that end, it would have been sweet if at the end of Season 3 when different cells were mustering up, there had been some X-Wings among the ships General Dodona had brought with him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

To that end, it would have been sweet if at the end of Season 3 when different cells were mustering up, there had been some X-Wings among the ships General Dodona had brought with him.

BTW what fighters were on the home one in that episode? ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SEApocalypse said:

Super Advanced my ***, they are flying next to 25 year old clone wars Y-Wings and don't make the Y-Wings obsolete. That's how advanced they are :P

No  -they're flying comparatively modern BTL-A4 and BTL-S3 Y-Wings

The clone wars model was the BTL-B

Edited by Funkleton
sprliing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Mrk1984 said:

So when are we getting a PS9 Hera? Thrawn always mentions how great of a pilot she is. 

Eh...just that she's noticeably better than any of the other pilots on Lothal, and the rest of the Ghost crew, and the generic TIEs chasing her.  Which...I mean, yeah, she already is.  PS7 ain't exactly a slouch.

Not saying I wouldn't love to see her in a Y-Wing, of course - her ability, particularly when paired with an R2 Astromech, would make that thing quite responsive.  Especially if she gets an EPT in the Y-Wing to give her PS9 via VI.  In an X-Wing, her ability is...much less impressive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...