Sign in to follow this  
Cubanboy

If Royal Guard Title was changed could this work?

Idea I have been kicking around the current card reads,

TIE INTERCEPTOR ONLY. TITLE - You may equip up to 2 different Modification upgrades (instead of 1). You cannot equip this card if your pilot skill value is "4" or lower

What if it was changed to

Imperial only Title- You may equip up to 2 different Modification upgrades and 1 additional EPT. You cannot equip this card if your pilot skill value is "5" or lower. Cost is 2

Edited by Cubanboy

Ummm...that would be really cool, and I would say ffg do this, except that it treads to much on the toes of the a wing, with its a wing test pilot giving it 2 EPTs.

P.s. I think that they should be fixed with something about guessing how many ships will be in your arc and then getting a bonus if you are right.

Edited by gryffindorhouse

I'm not all that interested.  I'd rather see an alternate title which "did something" rather than just added slots (but I'd have an alternate title add an Elite upgrade if you didn't already have one, even if that did make Fel's Wrath into the best pilot in the game).  For example, the Silencer title looks pretty cool.  It has a single offensive reroll under certain conditions, and it has a one-time use defensive effect.  I'd rather a "Saber Squadron Elite" title which did something more like that.  Maybe (maybe not) some small passive effect, but lets say you can discard it when an enemy places a bomb token to become immune to enemy bombs for a round.

Edited by theBitterFig

I like it but I don’t think it needs to cost anything, because that’s more points placed in a ship that may just die to a bomblet with Sabine in one turn. Maybe 1 point but I really think your not breaking anything keeping it free

also I know it’s thematic to keep it for higher ps, but with such low use of genetics, I’d take away the pilot skill requirement. 

That at being said I have my own spin on the card

TIE INTERCEPTOR ONLY. TITLE - You may equip up to 2 different Modification upgrades (instead of 1). When attacking For every other friendly ship with Royal Guard title in range 1-3, you may reroll one attack die.

Royal guard should be a 2 points title upgrade, adding a shield, and allowing speed 1 moves to be treated as green. 

You know, how royal guards had better maneuvering capabilities and improved shielding. 

There should be a different one called Bloodstripes which adds an extra ept slot. 

So now you can make tankier royal guards or double ept glass cannons

I think squints should get a title that helps out their mediocre pilot roster and gives them a unique niche in the game.  Something like:

"Skystrike Academy Graduate" (0 pts.)

TIE Interceptor Only Title

Your upgrade bar gains a <ept> icon if your pilot skill is '5' or higher and you do not already have one.  You cannot suffer damage outside of the combat phase.

I don't think this would break them.  It would make a few of the terribad Imperial Aces playable (Lt. lorrir with Intensity and AT would be a fun mini-ace, so would Kir Kanos with AT and PTL).  It would also make the Interceptor immune to the effects of most bombs.  This would not be game breaking I think since they are by far the most fragile action stacking glass cannons in the game.  They already really have to worry about being blocked and just bad dice rolls.  This would at least lessen the threat of auto damage.  Also it precludes the Royal Guard TIE title so you couldn't have a monster Soontir with two mods and bomb immunity.

I dont like it. 2 ept and 2 mods open so much room for broken combos, and on top turns this game more into a card game and acewing.

Example: Whisper really with vi and juke paired with stygium plus advanced cloaking.

RAC with vi adaptability, boost and countermeasures...

Vader with vi adaptability boost and guidance chips. Or autothrusters...

Inquisitor with ptl juke autothrusters hull would be a force.

Kylo with vi juke autos and hull...

Soontir with vi...

Summing up: thanks, but no thanks.

3 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

Hey look. The problem is power creep and scum ships. 

Just take some things down a peg. We'll be all fine. 

I'mma point you to my Imperial Play thread for a cool Soontir build that seemed extremely competitive. 

There is this. Besides the ships with titles that already grant it imp small bases across the board need something like "if you preform a focus action, you also recieve an evade token".

The problem is you have soontir and ol who'd become monsters to kill

Edited by Ralgon

I've been flying interceptors a lot lately  - they are some of the most fun you can have with your clothes on and in a non-competitive environment but compared to its nearest equivalent, the Protectorate Starfighter, it really is no contest.

While the Squint does have a more varied pilot roster and some fun pilot abilities, the extra hull point, the more reliable damage output of having a native TL action - not to mention Fenn's ability and Fearlessness, makes the PS is a more robust platform with more reliable damage output point-for-point.

The fragile nature of the Interceptor I can live with, but it really needs something to make dealing damage more reliable.

But hey - could be worse - could be an A-Wing

It sounds good on paper but the +2 point cost would kill it.

There big issue imo is they cost to much for how much damage they do. You are paying allot of points for a ship you pay  even more points for to keep alive, then use all your actions to keep alive so are tossing out generally 3 unmodified red dice. Its just to costly for that much damage output.

5 minutes ago, Icelom said:

There big issue imo is they cost to much for how much damage they do. You are paying allot of points for a ship you pay  even more points for to keep alive, then use all your actions to keep alive so are tossing out generally 3 unmodified red dice. Its just to costly for that much damage output.

Exactly this.

So many games with interceptors come down to scenarios where their positional brilliance is let down by offensive mediocrity

I played a 3 interceptor list earlier this week, and the game came down to a last gasp face to face range 1 shot against a Starviper - as the dice fell I wasn't able to deal the 2 damage I needed to finish it off - and the evade I took (along with focus) wasn't enough to save me, as the SV had held on to a TL from a few turns previously when it had no shot - so it was able to stack focus and TL on me.

However if I had been able to stack a TL on my focus as well  -  instead of evade - I would have done it (we ran a "what if" afterwards)

A simple errata to the RGT title to add the TL action to your bar might be enough - But considering the power creep in the game I say go nuts - make RGT increase the attack value to 4

Just now, Funkleton said:

Exactly this.

So many games with interceptors come down to scenarios where their positional brilliance is let down by offensive mediocrity

I played a 3 interceptor list earlier this week, and the game came down to a last gasp face to face range 1 shot against a Starviper - as the dice fell I wasn't able to deal the 2 damage I needed to finish it off - and the evade I took (along with focus) wasn't enough to save me, as the SV had held on to a TL from a few turns previously when it had no shot - so it was able to stack focus and TL on me.

However if I had been able to stack a TL on my focus as well  -  instead of evade - I would have done it (we ran a "what if" afterwards)

A simple errata to the RGT title to add the TL action to your bar might be enough - But considering the power creep in the game I say go nuts - make RGT increase the attack value to 4

Adding a TL would do it for me right now its to costly to use a mod slot to add the tl, plus it removes stealth to do so.

19 minutes ago, Icelom said:

Adding a TL would do it for me right now its to costly to use a mod slot to add the tl, plus it removes stealth to do so.

Indeed - Interceptors with stealth and AT are hardly defensive titans - they can still get one shotted or take crits that render them impotent in a single attack when your green dice go cold ... or in my case - are about average :-)

My concern with just giving them a native TL, is what happens with future waves (aka power creep) - the TIE advanced fix was a fix for about 3 months until the whatever the new hotness was that came along and made them irrelevant again ........ made them irrelevant again.

So let's not screw around - give em 4 reds

Edited by Funkleton
extemporising

18 hours ago, Cubanboy said:

Idea I have been kicking around the current card reads,

TIE INTERCEPTOR ONLY. TITLE - You may equip up to 2 different Modification upgrades (instead of 1). You cannot equip this card if your pilot skill value is "4" or lower

What if it was changed to

Imperial only Title- You may equip up to 2 different Modification upgrades and 1 additional EPT. You cannot equip this card if your pilot skill value is "5" or lower. Cost is 2

Why the **** would anyone want to make the Royal Guard title so much worse by adding a point cost to it?  Now as something new I'm still not sure you can really justify it although I'm betting there are plenty of EPT upgrades, as well as a number of modifications, that could easily justify those two points.  Your PS "restriction" may be a bit punishing but if you're going for low PS anyway then you're probably going for cheap and the 2 point cost is already a non-starter  

1 hour ago, Funkleton said:

Interestingly enough doesn't the exact same source you fight the Royal Guard title in also include a modification to give a ship the TL option?  It seems to me that was often in the discussion when ImpAces came out as someone like Fel would often pick a Stealth Device and the Targeting Computer enabling him to take those double modified attacks.

14 minutes ago, StevenO said:

Interestingly enough doesn't the exact same source you fight the Royal Guard title in also include a modification to give a ship the TL option?  It seems to me that was often in the discussion when ImpAces came out as someone like Fel would often pick a Stealth Device and the Targeting Computer enabling him to take those double modified attacks.

right - but the point I'm trying to make is that the ability to add the TL action comes at both a point cost (2 points), and an opportunity cost (i.e.  it takes up a slot that is more valuably taken up by something else (likeStealth and Auto thrusters) -in comparison the Protectorate Starfighter gets TL for free on both counts - and an equivalently equipped Protectorate Starfighter still costs less overall

1 hour ago, Funkleton said:

right - but the point I'm trying to make is that the ability to add the TL action comes at both a point cost (2 points), and an opportunity cost (i.e.  it takes up a slot that is more valuably taken up by something else (likeStealth and Auto thrusters) -in comparison the Protectorate Starfighter gets TL for free on both counts - and an equivalently equipped Protectorate Starfighter still costs less overall

The "opportunity cost" was covered with the title granting two modification slots to start out with.  If you value offense that much then is it really less valuable that Stealth or Auto Thrusters depending on the environment?  The Protectorate may have TL on the action bar but it seems to missing that Evade action so saying the TL is free is a bit misleading.

I'll give you that in a direct comparison the Power Creep Protectorate gets the +1 hull, TL instead of Evade, and some different upgrade options than the Interceptor but it also costs a touch more unless you're trying to make the Interceptor into a Protectorate.

6 hours ago, Icelom said:

Remember that I am saying all Imp Ships not just the interceptor. I think the 2 cost for basically 1 EPT and 1 Mod more is a steal. This can assist things like the punisher, tie advance, tie bomber and yes fighters it's not just about the interceptor. 

I think the 2 points to give Vader auto along with engi is balancing without breaking along with juke and vi.