duder

Not enough notice.

I find it absolutely ridiculous that there has been no official news from FFG regarding regionals outside of the US. They can start in 2 and a half weeks. Pick it up FFG!!!

I totally understand your frustration, but Considering worlds are this weekend for all non Star Wars games at FFG headquarters I imagine organized play is concerned with other areas and simply don’t have the staff to dedicate to X-wing currently.(which sucks) If there aren’t any announcements from stores via other sources at this point I would imagine the regional in your area will not be happening in the next two weeks. I would still call around to be sure though. 

They leaked the regionals announcement on the (inexplicably public) draft version of their site weeks ago. What more do you want? An official announcement? Sheesh! Next thing you’re going to start demanding that they actually keep their product release info up to date and quit making blantant errors in all of their preview articles!

;):P

Edited by Herowannabe

3 minutes ago, Estarriol said:

Outside the US it’s the responsibility (I think) of the distributor to arrange organised play and the venues to advertise it. Esdevium in the UK, for example.

This is now FFG for Canada, though. Since it’s palmed to AsmodeeNA 

Edited by Drasnighta

I had a chat with my LGS which gets to host a regional in the uk.  There are no dates fixed yet, he said normally there is a bit of going back and for where they pick dates.  My guess would be at least a couple weeks before we get uk regional dates.

One of our LFGS organized the last 2 regionals (Feb 2017 and July 2016) and gave sign they wanted a 3rd one this cycle. However, they've very recently stopped selling X-Wing merchandize altogether because the distributor constantly comes short in the stock that's actually sent to them. Every time I tried to preorder multiples for ships, I NEVER got them, forcing me to preorder from multiple stores every wave, or wait 1-2 months until the missing pieces came in. It's a small store which opened up upon the ashes of a larger, almost-30 year old one which closed in 2016, so they don't have a ton of volume. I'd imagine the back and forth between them and the distributor to be...."interesting" to read.

Edited by Mu0n729

4 hours ago, Estarriol said:

Outside the US it’s the responsibility (I think) of the distributor to arrange organised play and the venues to advertise it. Esdevium in the UK, for example.

Esdevium is a asmodee company, so all the blame stays within the family ;-)
Though I think there is at least one regional announced for france on T3 already … 
https://www.tabletopturniere.de/eu/t3_tournament.php?tid=20333
https://www.tabletopturniere.de/eu/t3_tournament.php?tid=20441
https://www.tabletopturniere.de/eu/t3_tournament.php?tid=20402
https://www.tabletopturniere.de/eu/t3_tournament.php?tid=20492
https://www.tabletopturniere.de/eu/t3_tournament.php?tid=20489

https://www.tabletopturniere.de/eu/t3_tournament.php?tid=20285

So yeah, a little more than just one, 5 in france, one in belgium on T³ 

And yeah, stock and fighting to actually get stuff on time has been a problem since years with FFG products. The stores here basically hate them and would drop them within a second if they would not sell that well. 

Edited by SEApocalypse

In Canada, Lion Rampant was responsible for distribution. The stores didn't like them, but tolerated them, let's say it like that. However, this year, the switch to Asmodée Canada created so many problems with that store that they just suddenly dropped X-Wing. The Asmodée Takeover was supposed to make things smoother -exactly the reverse happened. 

Edited by Mu0n729

Regionals in The Netherlands:

6th of January: Regional Amersfoort, Dica and Legends, Amersfoort

14th of January: Regional Hoorn - Spellenhoorn, Hoorn

28th of January: Regional Utrecht - Subcultures Utrecht

11th of February: Regional Amsterdam - Friends and Foes, Amsterdam

17th of February: Regional Den Haag - Tabletop Kingdom, Den Haag

4th of March: Regional Groningen - Purperen Draak, Groningen

Edited by Sarcon

12 minutes ago, Sarcon said:

That is good to know, but some source or link to a site to register for those events would be cool as well. With a night training going directly to Amsterdam at least one of those is tempting for me. 
Which would be found here: https://www.facebook.com/events/140963776630352/:)

edit:
**** it, apparently they canceled that very convenient train a few years ago, doesn't go further then Düsseldorf anymore. 

Edited by SEApocalypse

2 hours ago, Sarcon said:

Netherlands gets 5 regionals!?!? I wish they were clustered like that in the US so I could go to more than one (possibly two)!

In Germany/Austria/Switzerland the shops who applied for Regionals don't even know if they will get the Regional or not. Consider that for a moment. And once they will know, they will have to start checking dates. Ugh :blink:

4 hours ago, tortugatron said:

Netherlands gets 5 regionals!?!? I wish they were clustered like that in the US so I could go to more than one (possibly two)!

Yeah, but you guys get Gencon and Worlds. Seems fair.

7 hours ago, Mu0n729 said:

In Canada, Lion Rampant was responsible for distribution. The stores didn't like them, but tolerated them, let's say it like that. However, this year, the switch to Asmodée Canada created so many problems with that store that they just suddenly dropped X-Wing. The Asmodée Takeover was supposed to make things smoother -exactly the reverse happened. 

The stories I've been told by my FLGS about dealing with Asmodée Canada are really bad. Hopefully they shape up quickly.

Then again, stores across the river (in Ottawa) haven't even received quarterly kits since this summer, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much about the switch since I have 2 more Q4 kits to organize tournaments for. It could be even worse!

5 hours ago, tortugatron said:

The Netherlands have a population of 17 million. So if the united states have less than 88  regionals, than the netherlands are just so much more awesome and nerdy compared to the US to justify extra regionals. 
So I guess, the dutch guys are just the bigger nerds and better tournament organisers. Second only to the belgian guys who made their nationals basically a small continental championship. ;-)

On a serious note, higher population density and lots of visitors for regionals from neighboring countries. On top are the expectations for regionals lower, we (euros) have a healthy amount of nationals as prime events anyway. :)