GrandAdmiralCrunch

What will Wave 8 bring?

7 minutes ago, ninclouse2000 said:

Hi.  It’s kind of the visual.  It made my eyes bug out in x-wing.  I’m all for the ships in the new trilogy, I would just prefer them in their own game with their own scale.  Plus I don’t see how they can introduce the squadrons from the new trilogy without them looking the same as the x wings and ties we already have. Also tech from the new trilogy should be far superior to the tech in the ot.  An ISD should not be able to have a shot against the Raddus. In xwing,  the new trilogy stuff didn’t feel superior to the ot. That stuff for whatever reason bugs me.  

I want the new trilogy ships, just in their own armada 2.0 game or something.  I’m sure most people don’t share my opinion and that’s cool.  It triggers my ocd or something lol.

I mean, its okay.  Its just that with me, I've already had to get over it, basically...   I don't see it visually jarring as much, because I'm already very detail oriented.

Simply having Raymus Antilles and Luke Skywalker in the same fleet "breaks" it for me in the  most technical sense - so I have a lower bar of tolerance, so to speak, but I've also got a much weaker reaction - it doesn't bug me too much, other than to admit that it bugs me :)

5 hours ago, ImperialCaptain2017 said:

Can I have the Vindicator and the Dreadnaught now, FRY? Imperialism have been waiting for general-purpose heavy cruisers for too long...

AS long as the Rebels get the MC40a and Mark I Assault Frigate. 

They really need some Medium love. 

17 hours ago, ninclouse2000 said:

Hi.  It’s kind of the visual.  It made my eyes bug out in x-wing.  I’m all for the ships in the new trilogy, I would just prefer them in their own game with their own scale.  Plus I don’t see how they can introduce the squadrons from the new trilogy without them looking the same as the x wings and ties we already have. Also tech from the new trilogy should be far superior to the tech in the ot.  An ISD should not be able to have a shot against the Raddus. In xwing,  the new trilogy stuff didn’t feel superior to the ot. That stuff for whatever reason bugs me.  

I want the new trilogy ships, just in their own armada 2.0 game or something.  I’m sure most people don’t share my opinion and that’s cool.  It triggers my ocd or something lol.

Technological advances are a common discussion here. About a year ago there was an entire thread based on the subject. The conclusion that was reached was that there have not been a lot of technological advances in the sixtyish years that the saga has been spread across. In all probability, an Arc 170 from the Clone wars era and a T-70 X wing would be able to duel without a land slide for the one. Technology hasn't changed much, but design paradigms have. The Republic allowed for individualism in its army. The CIS focused on mass production. The Empire wanted to have uniformity and a lack of individualism. The Rebels wanted Hit and run type capital ships, but understood the value of their snub fighter pilots, and for this reason gave them better fighters. And I hated TFA, so I never researched their stuff.

Agreed. Tech in the Star Wars universe has been in stagnation for thousands (if not tens of thousands) of years.

There are the occasional times when someone builds an awesome weapon/spaceship/etc. but these seem to be clever exceptions that fade away once the moment is gone.

Edited by Democratus

20 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

I mean, its okay.  Its just that with me, I've already had to get over it, basically...   I don't see it visually jarring as much, because I'm already very detail oriented.

Simply having Raymus Antilles and Luke Skywalker in the same fleet "breaks" it for me in the  most technical sense - so I have a lower bar of tolerance, so to speak, but I've also got a much weaker reaction - it doesn't bug me too much, other than to admit that it bugs me :)

it always boggles my mind when people say it's jarring to see ships from different eras interacting. If you're open to legends then the hammerhead is nearly a 4k year old design, I'm pretty ok with ships 20/30 years apart fighting. Star Wars has, effectively, reached it's tech cap similar to 40k, it's not changing much. 

4 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

Based on a 4k year old design.

That's why its a Corvette, not a Cruiser.  And derided as "some old transports."

imagine going back 4k years in our history to retrieve some tech, i somehow don't think it would be nearly as effective as the hammer head was / is. 

"basing" it off an old design and implementing those previous ships is effectively the same as we don't have stats for either, the point is the tech is still effective regardless multi millennia passing which, effectively, means that a 30 year gap is inconsequential if 4k year old designs are still considered effective. 

5 minutes ago, dominosfleet said:

imagine going back 4k years in our history to retrieve some tech, i somehow don't think it would be nearly as effective as the hammer head was / is. 

"basing" it off an old design and implementing those previous ships is effectively the same as we don't have stats for either, the point is the tech is still effective regardless multi millennia passing which, effectively, means that a 30 year gap is inconsequential if 4k year old designs are still considered effective. 

In this instance, its more like...  "Man, back then they had these bigass Cruisers with these awesome shaped heads...  You know what would be cool?  If we made them today."

"Sure.  But we don't have much money."

"Dang it.  Well, okay.  Make 'em a Third of the Size and with a tenth of the guns then...  They'll still look cool."

is there an official(or estimated) size range for small/medium/large ships? With the isd at 1800ish meters / mc80's at 1200ish and Vic's at 900 is it something like 

Large > 1k

Medium 500 - 1k

Small < 500

Side note, after looking over the old knights ships i kind of want a harrower. 

Edited by dominosfleet

2 minutes ago, dominosfleet said:

is there an official(or estimated) size range for small/medium/large ships? With the isd at 1800ish meters and the  mc80's are 1200ish and Vic's at 900 is it something like 

Large > 1k

Medium 500 - 1k

Small < 500

Side note, after looking over the old knights ships i kind of want a harrower. 

Some people did estimations in previous threads.  Im sure a copious search involving "size" and even "graph" would probably turn them up eventually..

.  But it basically doesn't just relate to length, but also Width and other functions.

1 minute ago, Drasnighta said:

Some people did estimations in previous threads.  Im sure a copious search involving "size" and even "graph" would probably turn them up eventually..

.  But it basically doesn't just relate to length, but also Width and other functions.

just used the wiki to look them up, didn't realize they were different classes of ships. cruiser/corvette. Now I'm wondering if the cruiser would be small or medium.  

In the loosest possible terms for Armada...  Really, Cruiser is going to be Medium or Large.

Corvettes are traditionally the smaller of vessels.

But its not hard and fast.

I just recall taht the KOTOR Hammerheads were Big and Scary.  Or at least, Bigger and Scarier than the little Hammerhead Corvettes that were, intentionally, loosely based on their design only.

I know the SSD has been mentioned previously, but I feel like if they did an "Final Assault" (Epic) game style with it, it could work. I'd like to see Admiral Piet as the commander and then have an Emperor Palpatine dual officer/weapons team upgrade limited to a ship over base cost of 70 points would be pretty cool.

1 hour ago, Drasnighta said:

I seem to recall that the cutoff between Small and Medium was somewhere around 650-700, and that it was pretty precisely bracketed between the AF2 and one of the smalls (probably the MC30).

Edit:  It was the Interdictor (600m) and the MC30 ("~580").  So, just on the basis of length, that's the cutoff.

Edited by Ardaedhel

34 minutes ago, Ardaedhel said:

I seem to recall that the cutoff between Small and Medium was somewhere around 650-700, and that it was pretty precisely bracketed between the AF2 and one of the smalls (probably the MC30).

Edit:  It was the Interdictor (600m) and the MC30 ("~580").  So, just on the basis of length, that's the cutoff.

I also vaguely recall the Quasar raising concerns, but I don't recall it if was a legitimate concern in the end or not.

18 hours ago, Ardaedhel said:

Except the 600m Interdictor is the Immobilizer 418. The Interdictor we’ve gotten in Armada is the Rebels version which estimates put closer to 1000m.

The Quasar Fire is based off a legends design that was about 340m, but the Version in Armada is again from Rebels and could again be larger. 

18 minutes ago, GrandAdmiralCrunch said:

Except the 600m Interdictor is the Immobilizer 418. The Interdictor we’ve gotten in Armada is the Rebels version which estimates put closer to 1000m.

What estimates? I don't really track that kind of minutiae myself, but Wookieepedia says the specific Interdictor from Rebels was 600m, which is my source for that number.

6 minutes ago, Ardaedhel said:

What estimates? I don't really track that kind of minutiae myself, but Wookieepedia says the specific Interdictor from Rebels was 600m, which is my source for that number.

That number someone got from the EU sources, visually you can see the new interdictor is larger, closer to ISD length.

44 minutes ago, ktflory said:

That number someone got from the EU sources, visually you can see the new interdictor is larger, closer to ISD length.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Interdictor-class_Star_Destroyer/Canon

even the last paragraph in the canon article mentions the size discrepancy. Either the Rebels Interdictor is different from the 418,or it was scaled wrong on the show.