GrandAdmiralCrunch

What will Wave 8 bring?

So what ships could they realistically bring into the game for Wave 8, assuming just the OT/GCW era, without scraping the barrel of the EU? Is there anything from Rebels and the movies left? The Dornean Gunship seems to be the most 'significant' movie ship. Could we see an Imperial version of the Nebulon frigate?

2 minutes ago, redxavier said:

So what ships could they realistically bring into the game for Wave 8, assuming just the OT/GCW era, without scraping the barrel of the EU? Is there anything from Rebels and the movies left? The Dornean Gunship seems to be the most 'significant' movie ship. Could we see an Imperial version of the Nebulon frigate?

The Tector was the ISD i was begging for(an ISD with min or no squadron so it was just a battleship) but I'm concerned that the new chimaera is the closest we'll get to that. 

Just now, dominosfleet said:

The Tector was the ISD i was begging for(an ISD with min or no squadron so it was just a battleship) but I'm concerned that the new chimaera is the closest we'll get to that. 

Oh yes, that actually is a good choice. I play Star Wars Interregnum, a mod for the Sins of a Solar Empire PC game and they feature in that quite prominently. I'd guess the ship that I like the most from the old EU is probably the Dreadnaught. I feel the Empire needs a medium ship.

dread.jpg

Just now, redxavier said:

Oh yes, that actually is a good choice. I play Star Wars Interregnum, a mod for the Sins of a Solar Empire PC game and they feature in that quite prominently. I'd guess the ship that I like the most from the old EU is probably the Dreadnaught. I feel the Empire needs a medium ship.

dread.jpg

The Reb's desperately need a medium ship, they only have one(Though i think both need more fighty less "jack of all trades"y in the medium range(and please gawd make them faster than speed two or give them SLIGHTLY better movement than the Vic's -, 1. )

9 minutes ago, redxavier said:

dread.jpg

Rebels need another medium more, but I would be happy with the Imperials getting a Dreadnought Class if the Rebels get a Mk I Assault Frigate. 

27 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

What if FFG doesn't do wave 8? Just drop Armada flat out. It's a serious possibility.

I don't think there's anything that hints at that in the slightest. as Dras always reminds us, it's the second best selling game they have, by far. it might feel a bit low priority but that's just because FFG is stretching itself thin. I do expect IA to get bumped but that's mostly because Legion, effectively, replaces it as well as Rune. I also think the other non-destiny star wars game is at risk because FFG is pushing destiny so hard. 

*edit*
This cycle of Armada feels pretty standard. I've only been playing a year but this game clearly has a history of being the red-headed step child of FFG. Stories of people like nelson remind me of the same type of panic the community typically experiences. My advice is: Take a breath, step away from your computer, find something else you enjoy doing and check back once a week or so to save your mental state. 

Edited by dominosfleet

I often wonder if FFG’s Light-handed approach to Armada is intentional. It’s often been said that Armada is the chess to X-Wing’s checkers. Maybe the slow deliberate release cycle is their way of maintaining a well honed and balanced game.

Or they despise Armada and are trying to run off it’s player base to one of their games that doesn’t require them to prepaint the models.

How optimistic are we feeling?

Interesting news.... Disney is looking to do yet another trilogy (non-skywalker related).

Depending on the timeline, it could give us a lot more material to pull from.

1 hour ago, Undeadguy said:

What if FFG doesn't do wave 8? Just drop Armada flat out. It's a serious possibility.

I doubt it.  Armada is in the top 5.  FFG is positioning themselves to push for dominating the miniature sales across the board with Legion.  If Armada is selling well, why not continue supporting it.  It's not like it takes them a lot of effort.  Throw us two ships every 7 or 8 months and otherwise ignore us.  We stick around..../sigh

3 minutes ago, kmanweiss said:

Interesting news.... Disney is looking to do yet another trilogy (non-skywalker related).

Depending on the timeline, it could give us a lot more material to pull from.

I doubt it.  Armada is in the top 5.  FFG is positioning themselves to push for dominating the miniature sales across the board with Legion.  If Armada is selling well, why not continue supporting it.  It's not like it takes them a lot of effort.  Throw us two ships every 7 or 8 months and otherwise ignore us.  We stick around..../sigh

Stockholm's is a **** of a drug. 

13 hours ago, kmanweiss said:

That depends on a few things.  First, does Armada significantly eat into their manufacturing of other products?  Second, what exactly does it mean to be in the top 5 of best selling miniatures games? What's their profit margin?  How much design/development resources is this requiring?

After seeing Disney's monopoly-like practices with Episode 8 screenings, I wouldn't be surprised to see FFG say, "Thanks, but we'll keep the highly profitable stuff and dump anything not making a certain threshold of money for us because you're difficult to work with."

17 hours ago, Noosh said:

Seriously though my bets on wingless liberty and it having the special weapons slot.  Imps getting some kind tector

Would a wingless Liberty look sufficiently distinct from the existing Liberty and Home One?

Same question for the Tector, except double because the Kaut/Cymoon exist now also. Is the Kaut really not battleship-y enough as it is?

43 minutes ago, ricefrisbeetreats said:

That depends on a few things.  First, does Armada significantly eat into their manufacturing of other products?  Second, what exactly does it mean to be in the top 5 of best selling miniatures games? What's their profit margin?  How much design/development resources is this requiring?

After seeing Disney's monopoly-like practices with Episode 8 screenings, I wouldn't be surprised to see FFG say, "Thanks, but we'll keep the highly profitable stuff and dump anything not making a certain threshold of money for us because you're difficult to work with."

My suspicion is that their margins are middling at best. Payout to disney, pay their manufacturer, pay their shipper. So on so forth. Yes their prices per model are high, but maybe 60-70% MSRP is going to them directly per sale. Now I would bet the whole shebang model cards cardboard and box cost them around 30% MSRP. Leaving them around 40% MSRP to do with as they please (not knowing Disney's cut I will assume it's paid out of this) it's not a bad chunk of change.  I would say that most of that is going back into rnd and payroll. There in a business that it real easy to see Capitol investment s (new games/models) they seem to do alot.

6 minutes ago, svelok said:

Would a wingless Liberty look sufficiently distinct from the existing Liberty and Home One?

Same question for the Tector, except double because the Kaut/Cymoon exist now also. Is the Kaut really not battleship-y enough as it is?

Dunno im just wheelin n dealin here. 

45 minutes ago, svelok said:

I have a sort of wish that they do the Wingless Liberty like the Chimaera. Make it two new variants of the home one. The MCxx series were all unique visually and capability-wise even within the same class. A new model and new variants for the Home One would fit that very well. 

47 minutes ago, svelok said:

If you paint it in the steel-grey color we see in RoTJ, it will really stand out compared to the cream Home One and beige Liberty.

It's also worth noting that many Wingless Liberties are "mirrored" - photos reversed so the asymmetrical bulges, are on the opposite side. Using  A mirrored version would be another way to make it look different from the Liberty.

The Tector could be made to stand out, by a sufficiently imaginative sculptor. Engines, armour plating, guns - all these could be modelled slightly differently without compromising the basic "murderwedge" shape.

Edited by Ironlord

On 11/8/2017 at 11:10 AM, Megatronrex said:

The salty tears of Rebels as their hopes and dreams are crushed by Imperial might.

WOW! I want it! Where can I put in a pre-order for that?

On 11/8/2017 at 0:28 PM, Green Knight said:

Something big. Ffg said so :D

I also would like a new campaign.

Does FFG think that the Chimaera is "something big"?

17 hours ago, dominosfleet said:

I don't think there's anything that hints at that in the slightest. as Dras always reminds us, it's the second best selling game they have, by far.

Yes, it might be a big hit, but it would be worth it to them to shut it down just to disappoint us. It's all about us, I tell you!  (That, at least, seems to be the spirit of the forum right about now.)

On 11/8/2017 at 1:34 PM, ninclouse2000 said:

Wave 8 will be a repainted gozanti and a repainted rebel transport just to really rub salt on the wound.

I'd be absolutely fine with that, as it would bring new versions with different costs/capabilities and likely new upgrades - that I could use with my existing models as well as the new one in the packaga (as with new ISD Chimera ship tokens).