Jump to content
GrandAdmiralCrunch

What will Wave 8 bring?

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Battlefleet 01 Studios said:

That makes sense, as we just had a large ship wave. However, does it make sense for them to release the SSD with a campaign along with special rules with a smaller wave like this?

Well, if the SSD ever *did* get released - a 'smaller' wave would be the right fit for it.  So, sure, a couple new flotillas, otherwise?  Yeah, nice, solid fit!  :D  

But, really, the best chance for the Executor to show up in 'Armada' would be if it manages to get some kind of cameo in the 'Solo' movie.  Odds of that seem...sort of unlikely, but it would provide the right marketing environment for the thing to appear, anyway.  Otherwise, I kinda worry it's going to be on the back burner for a bit. 

Given my wave 8 guess above, I'd suggest wave 9 as pretty obviously...

"Imperial" (*cough*) Resurgent-class

FinalizerSD-Fathead.png

"Rebel" (*cough*) Raddus-class

Raddus_Ship_at_DQar.png

...IE., "not the Executor".  :(

Edited by xanderf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, ISD Avenger said:

i think the surveillance Gozanti & gunship would have to be part of a bigger release. Not sure they would have enough gravitas for the casual gamer?

They have both been "seen on-screen", which ain't nothing.

But, yeah, does sorta feel like they could use something more.  Maybe - as suggested - an 'Epic'-scale expansion of the Executor-class SSD?  Or possibly just a couple more squadron packs (U-Wings, K-Wings, TIE Strikers, TIE Reapers, etc - lots of options)

OTOH, I mean...Armada 'wave III', right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, xanderf said:

But, really, the best chance for the Executor to show up in 'Armada' would be if it manages to get some kind of cameo in the 'Solo' movie.  Odds of that seem...sort of unlikely, but it would provide the right marketing environment for the thing to appear, anyway. 

The Executor is still under construction after the battle of Yavin, in the newcanon comics.

 

However - the Super Star Destroyer Annihilator is in service before that.

 

If that Super Star Destroyer gets confirmed as Executor-shaped - maybe it could appear late in Solo - reusing TESB's Executor prop, maybe with a little CGI overlay to freshen it up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like I’m missing something on the SSD hype. A lot of people dont want the Resurgence/Raddus class because it is so big as to be difficult to implement in the game given existing mechanics. Then, I read players want new mechanics invented to play the SSD, something even bigger. 

 

Why not the Resurgence and Raddus as epic ships? Seems about the most reasonable way to do it. 

 

This is admittedly coming from a guy who - even as a kid - thought the SSD was a craptastically stupid ship whose existence was never adequately justified in any Legends or Canon source. They never once did anything that a pair of ISDs couldn’t have done for a fractional price. 

Edited by Church14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Church14 said:

I feel like I’m missing something on the SSD hype. A lot of people dont want the Resurgence/Raddus class because it is so big as to be difficult to implement in the game given existing mechanics. Then, I read players want new mechanics invented to play the SSD, something even bigger. 

 

Why not the Resurgence and Raddus as epic ships? Seems about the most reasonable way to do it. 

 

This is admittedly coming from a guy who - even as a kid - thought the SSD was a craptastically stupid ship whose existence was never adequately justified in any Legends or Canon source. They never once did anything that a pair of ISDs couldn’t have done for a fractional price. 

Because 50% of the fanbase have an irrational hate for TFA and TLJ.

Personally, I hope they go that route. I'm all about the First Order. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

Because 50% of the fanbase have an irrational hate for TFA and TLJ.

Personally, I hope they go that route. I'm all about the First Order. 

I just personally think the Resurgant looks ugly. But I am one of those guys who likes the Assault Frigate mk2, but also think the mk1 variant looks ugly as sin. Well the type 6 version is okay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok Wave 8 Sqn pack... be mixed like R &Vs...

 

U-Wings v Gauntlets - have raid - large (single model) sqn

ARC-10 V TIE Reapers - have Jam - large sqn

K-Wings V TIE Punishers - Heavy bombers (have a ordinance upgrade slot**) - large sqn *

Auzituck Gunship V Gunboats - heavy bombers (have an ion upgrade slot**) - large sqn*

 

*large sqns because they have a weapon slot

** sqn upgrade slots, if used then all sqns most use the same one or not use it.  cost is against the sqn cap of 1/3rd points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2018 at 5:38 PM, xanderf said:

So...my guess for wave 8...two new flotillas, ?along with new rules for flotillas that they don't count for tabling?

Imperial IGV-88 surveillance vessel

From Rebels TV series: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/IGV-55_surveillance_vessel

 

Rebel Braha'tok-class gunship

From Return of the Jedi, Rebels TV series, and Rogue One: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Braha'tok-class_gunship/Canon

I think that a release of an Executor for the Empire, and the Dornian Gunship for the Rebels would start to make the game 'correct' again.

 

On 2/15/2018 at 5:57 AM, Church14 said:

This is admittedly coming from a guy who - even as a kid - thought the SSD was a craptastically stupid ship whose existence was never adequately justified in any Legends or Canon source. They never once did anything that a pair of ISDs couldn’t have done for a fractional price. 

You sound like someone who's trying to convince us that the Executor never really existed in the first place, because you can't magine why it would exist in that first place. Well, sorry man, it was in ESB and RotJ. 

 

As to why it was, well, the Emperor seems to like big things, and he's the boss. What more reason do you need? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mikael Hasselstein said:

As to why it was, well, the Emperor seems to like big things, and he's the boss. What more reason do you need? 

So, the Emperor got all shriveled when he shot lightning in episode III. Like, shrunken and EVERYTHING shriveled up. And his response as boss is to just keep buying BIGGER and BIGGER things, almost like he's compensating for something tiny. Like he needs to prove his manhood by showing how large a ship he can drive.

It's a good sized....ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, geek19 said:

So, the Emperor got all shriveled when he shot lightning in episode III. Like, shrunken and EVERYTHING shriveled up. And his response as boss is to just keep buying BIGGER and BIGGER things, almost like he's compensating for something tiny. Like he needs to prove his manhood by showing how large a ship he can drive.

It's a good sized....ship.

And like, hear me out here.....

.... of the 3 things he built that we see on screen....

..... well ones quite long and comes to a point........

...... and the other 2 are kinda round......

.... like balls, round......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, DrakonLord said:

And like, hear me out here.....

.... of the 3 things he built that we see on screen....

..... well ones quite long and comes to a point........

...... and the other 2 are kinda round......

.... like balls, round......

im just saying, no one in the Rebellion needs to own something that massively large.  There's nothing that we feel..... small about, i guess you could say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15.2.2018 at 5:20 PM, Darth Sanguis said:

Because 50% of the fanbase have an irrational hate for TFA and TLJ.

Personally, I hope they go that route. I'm all about the First Order. 

whats this "irrational" dismissings, only to defend what someone likes and wants every other to like as well?

you like it, or you dont. Really, there is reason for both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, geek19 said:

So, the Emperor got all shriveled when he shot lightning in episode III. Like, shrunken and EVERYTHING shriveled up. And his response as boss is to just keep buying BIGGER and BIGGER things, almost like he's compensating for something tiny. Like he needs to prove his manhood by showing how large a ship he can drive.

It's a good sized....ship.

hm. I think with the Tarkin doctrine everything is explained. Size will awe them, feear will keep them in line. Not exactly somehing an Arq will accomplish.

Worked to some part, as seen in R1, but flawed in the end. Not sure if the Emperor is the compensating type ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mikael Hasselstein said:

You sound like someone who's trying to convince us that the Executor never really existed in the first place, because you can't magine why it would exist in that first place. Well, sorry man, it was in ESB and RotJ. 

 

As to why it was, well, the Emperor seems to like big things, and he's the boss. What more reason do you need? 

Not quite. I'm not trying to deny they exist. I'm trying to point out that there isn't a good reason for them to exist. In the old EU, the Empire admitted that ISDs were superior military platforms. SSDs were less effective in essentially every way except as symbols. 

 

So so what is the less effective, more expensive ship supposed to bring to Armada.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Church14 said:

Not quite. I'm not trying to deny they exist. I'm trying to point out that there isn't a good reason for them to exist. In the old EU, the Empire admitted that ISDs were superior military platforms. SSDs were less effective in essentially every way except as symbols. 

 

So so what is the less effective, more expensive ship supposed to bring to Armada.

Make FFG money?

 

Expense to build has little to do with points value, which is suposed to represent combat value. If it is, as you say, less combat effective than two ISDs, that makes it more likely to be included in the game, because it should then take up less of a share of 400 points.

 

To a hegemonic Empire, keeping a galaxy in line, symbols are more likely to be effective than weapons platforms anyhow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Church14 said:

Not quite. I'm not trying to deny they exist. I'm trying to point out that there isn't a good reason for them to exist. In the old EU, the Empire admitted that ISDs were superior military platforms. SSDs were less effective in essentially every way except as symbols. 

 

So so what is the less effective, more expensive ship supposed to bring to Armada.

I think you hit the nail on the head, it is a symbol of star wars. Imps want to use it, rebs want, mostly the bragging rights of, beating it. SSD is iconic and a symbol of the pinacle of imp power, that wouldnt have op one shot kill you dead rules, and could feaseably be on the table.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Church14 said:

Not quite. I'm not trying to deny they exist. I'm trying to point out that there isn't a good reason for them to exist. In the old EU, the Empire admitted that ISDs were superior military platforms. SSDs were less effective in essentially every way except as symbols. 

 

So so what is the less effective, more expensive ship supposed to bring to Armada.

Admiral Piett!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...