GrandAdmiralCrunch

What will Wave 8 bring?

I'm a little skeptical about FFG taking that big of a risk for 400 point fleets. Imagine actually seeing an SSD in a standard game; it would feel pretty out of place. Eight CR90s vs Executor? Two ISDs and some flotillas? Even if it were balanced, it would just look laughable. Immersion just goes down the drain. A campaign or a larger "epic" or "team" mode of play could work though. And people have been asking for long enough...

Edited by The Jabbawookie

Wave 8: Stations! 

Empire: Scarif shield gate

Neutral: Xizors sky hook

Rebels: ?

...I kid of course. At this point I'm expecting disappointment. I'm still trying to adjust to what I feel is some intense power creep from 7. Simply put, my purchases are on hold right now. My experience with many FFG games tells me that it's on the verge of breaking, and despite the increase in player base, it may be time to pull the space brakes on this one and dig in to the next. Legion doesn't look good to me, but if it's more about strategy than cards, I'll jump. 

1 minute ago, ForceSensitive said:

...I kid of course. At this point I'm expecting disappointment. I'm still trying to adjust to what I feel is some intense power creep from 7. Simply put, my purchases are on hold right now. My experience with many FFG games tells me that it's on the verge of breaking, and despite the increase in player base, it may be time to pull the space brakes on this one and dig in to the next. Legion doesn't look good to me, but if it's more about strategy than cards, I'll jump. 

What cards do you think are OP? I don't see anything in wave 7 that makes anything crazy strong.

IF "fixes" a bit of red's unpredictability. 

the two characters are designed to mess with the first/last dynamic(which the system needs)

HIE are "effective" but too expensive imo to seriously consider, I think they'll fall by the wayside "soon"

Hardened bulkheads fixes the "Ram it to death" issue big ships could have with small ships

Most of the other other cards seem pretty meh. I think thrawn will be effective but people acting like 3 command dials is the end of the game might be being a bit over dramatic. I don't think Raddis is going to be anything but a 1 trick pony that will be hard to execute and will consistently under preform. 

I think the biggest problem with the game is still flotilla spam and even that's been semi nerfed so much that the game overall is in a great state. /shrug, the biggest concern i have  currently is that strategic adviser is going to be a near auto include for any large ship to at least try to compete in the activation war but I'm ok with that because it hinders MSU more than anything. 

2 hours ago, dominosfleet said:

I think it would be as cool as it would be pointless. I'm not going to lie and say I wouldn't buy one (I own a full set of Imperial X-wing models, the raider, a lot of rebels, the corvette, as well as a lot of Scum and I don't play X-wing anymore) but I don't think I'd ever end up using it beyond 1 game. 

If it comes out I'd really like it to come out alongside a new campaign that actually (optionally) makes use of it so it's more than just the 3ft long set piece I'd mentioned in the other thread. 

I do agree that it would be cool to have a campaign centered around the ssd.  I hope we get a new campaign before the end of this year regardless but this idea would be really good for a campaign.

3 hours ago, dominosfleet said:

I think it would be as cool as it would be pointless. I'm not going to lie and say I wouldn't buy one (I own a full set of Imperial X-wing models, the raider, a lot of rebels, the corvette, as well as a lot of Scum and I don't play X-wing anymore) but I don't think I'd ever end up using it beyond 1 game. 

If it comes out I'd really like it to come out alongside a new campaign that actually (optionally) makes use of it so it's more than just the 3ft long set piece I'd mentioned in the other thread. 

Next campaign, need rules for AOO to happen more frequently and at locations

Spend xx refit points to initiate an "experimental weapons project". Place the "1" round token on this card. Secretly indicate on your faction sheet one of your shipyards as the Experimental weapons base. Each round, one player may spend xx refit points to add one round token to this card. When the number of tokens hits 3?4?x?, discard this card and deploy a "huge ship" token at that shipyard. if the shipyard is taken over by the enemy discard this card immediately

for any AOO that occurs that the same location as a huge ship token, the grand admiral may choose a player to deploy that respective ship. that player must remove assets in his fleet such that he has remaining points at least equal to the cost of the huge ship and it's upgrades. his removed assets are not destroyed and may be put back in his fleet later.

Edited by Muelmuel

24 minutes ago, Battlefleet 01 Studios said:

Perhaps with the new SSD we will see a 6 ft by 6 ft mode of play? 

well, my arm's aren't 4+ feet long so that might be a rough way to play. 

Edit: Though typical 40k games are 4x6 so....

Edited by dominosfleet

8 hours ago, Battlefleet 01 Studios said:

Perhaps with the new SSD we will see a 6 ft by 6 ft mode of play? 

Not likely unless they also change the number of rounds for a match. the AOO for campaign is likely a good gauge for epic format and it is a 3x9 with players deployin on the long edge. I think it's to ensure that there is not excessive room to play "run away" and that more pewpew happens

7 minutes ago, Muelmuel said:

Not likely unless they also change the number of rounds for a match. the AOO for campaign is likely a good gauge for epic format and it is a 3x9 with players deployin on the long edge. I think it's to ensure that there is not excessive room to play "run away" and that more pewpew happens

My concern with playing the long way is it won't give either fleet, particularly the one with the SSD, much room to move. I've played the long way before and it just feels too narrow.

I personally think the campaign box has been one of the highlights in the games history, Star Wars after all is a story more than it is a setting and while fans have elaborated on it a great deal, by all rights the theme and the story are unavoidably link.  As such I think anything that brings more story to the game, in essence more theme, is what shines.  The campaign box did that, while simultaneously offering new objectives and situations on which battles can be based, not to mention new approaches to list building that opened up doors to certain upgrades and ships that in standard format are typically not used.  In a way the campaign box brought far more to the game than any "wave" had before.  

So I would love to see more campaign stuff, in particular new battle situations.  One thing I really liked about the campaign mode is that their was a natural unbalance to battles, so sometimes you would find yourself in a huge advantage or alternatively an underdog and it changed the motivation of the battles greatly.  Sometimes it would be very "global strategy" motivated, other times it might just be "do as much damage as you can", or objective based.  I really loved the diversity of situations it created.

I think a new standard format like Epic would be fine, but that really isn't a wave thing, its more of a rule thing.  I mean a simple 3 page PDF would be enough to add epic mode into the game, you wouldn't really need alternative ships for it.  Quite frankly I hope they don't go any bigger with the ships, I think the current Large ships are already big enough.

I think Wave 8 will be centered around the Solo movie.

We'll likely have some new characters to draw from, and I'm guessing we'll see some new ships (or old ships that haven't been used for armada yet).  It won't be all Solo content, but it will contain elements from the movie. The timing is just about perfect.

Movie is releasing 5/18, so we could see a Wave 8 announcement around March, with a release in July/August.

I'm going to guess a Rebel medium ship packaged with a new YT1300 with Lando as a pilot.  Beckett, the droid and that little cgi critter on the guns will make an appearance also.  Not sure on the Imps, depends on if anything interesting is in the movie.  The Imp ship may get packaged with some of the new TIEs also.

10 minutes ago, kmanweiss said:

I think Wave 8 will be centered around the Solo movie.

We'll likely have some new characters to draw from, and I'm guessing we'll see some new ships (or old ships that haven't been used for armada yet).  It won't be all Solo content, but it will contain elements from the movie. The timing is just about perfect.

Movie is releasing 5/18, so we could see a Wave 8 announcement around March, with a release in July/August.

It took over a year from their air dates before the Quasar / Profundity released. 

I am wondering what Disney is doing with the Solo movie, support-wise.

I bought two novels about Rogue One (a pre-novel and the movie novelization).

I see no such books related to Solo on the horizon.

Not as big a PR push across the board?

More relevant to this game, I suppose, are the new Lego sets related to Solo. 

Perhaps X-wing will get a third Falcon and a new TIE?

We shall see, I guess.

I know this might prove to be unpopular, but what if an SSD was released as part of an "SSD campaign pack" and only available for use in that campaign? Some people may cry "foul", but this way the ship gets on the market and doesn't affect standard game play. It's not a solution some in Team SSD might be fond of, but I could see this as a possibility. 

28 minutes ago, axe238 said:

I know this might prove to be unpopular, but what if an SSD was released as part of an "SSD campaign pack" and only available for use in that campaign? Some people may cry "foul", but this way the ship gets on the market and doesn't affect standard game play. It's not a solution some in Team SSD might be fond of, but I could see this as a possibility. 

I wouldn't find this absolutely heartbreaking.

I may be wrong, but I don’t think anyone has mentioned more flotillas. Right now, flotillas are auto-include in almost all fleets. That isn’t likely to change, but what we could really use is more flotilla variety. I’d love to see better anti-squadron flotilla options, or perhaps flotillas with some more objectives included in the expansion that synergize well with them. 

1 hour ago, CommanderDave said:

I may be wrong, but I don’t think anyone has mentioned more flotillas. Right now, flotillas are auto-include in almost all fleets. That isn’t likely to change, but what we could really use is more flotilla variety. I’d love to see better anti-squadron flotilla options, or perhaps flotillas with some more objectives included in the expansion that synergize well with them. 

I'm guessing they are scared of flotillas, especially flots that might be good at something.  Flotillas being auto-include is part of the problem.  Giving people more cheap activation and deployment padding monsters would be problematic, especially if they served a purpose beside padding.

3 hours ago, svelok said:

It took over a year from their air dates before the Quasar / Profundity released. 

True.  But X-wing launched Ep8 based stuff a week before the movie came out.  So it's not beyond reason to think that Wave 8 could be centered around an upcoming movie.

3 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

Right now, flotillas are auto-include in almost all fleets.

I'd like to see some more combat flotillas. Take away the scatter, make them a bit more manoeuvrable than the current ones, give them some more dice, and maybe some anti-scatter/defense token flotilla-only upgrades? Very glass cannon-y, designed for hunting down the existing flotillas, or dealing with squadrons.

Or maybe troop-transport type flotillas; not useful for much other than putting Boarding Teams on them (give them a title that lets them re-use non-unique Boarding Teams?).

Although mainly I'm still hoping for an Imperial Venator and a Rebel CC-7700 (or pretty much anything else from Rebellion).

1 hour ago, kmanweiss said:

I'm guessing they are scared of flotillas, especially flots that might be good at something.  Flotillas being auto-include is part of the problem.  Giving people more cheap activation and deployment padding monsters would be problematic, especially if they served a purpose beside padding.

True.  But X-wing launched Ep8 based stuff a week before the movie came out.  So it's not beyond reason to think that Wave 8 could be centered around an upcoming movie.

I doubt we get movie tie ins. 

For flotillas, I’m thinking less combat/squad pushing and more objective based play. I really like the idea of blockade run, but something that requires flotillas to land on the station, delivering troops or supplies etc while the other side tries to stop them might be interesting. 

1 hour ago, Grumbleduke said:

I'd like to see some more combat flotillas. Take away the scatter, make them a bit more manoeuvrable than the current ones, give them some more dice, and maybe some anti-scatter/defense token flotilla-only upgrades? Very glass cannon-y, designed for hunting down the existing flotillas, or dealing with squadrons.

So a ship with weapons teams for sensor net, or turbolasers for H9s? I can agree on glass cannons, something that can hit like a ton of bricks but still can die really easily if it has to. I'm not so sure about dealing with squadrons, but if it has a weapons team, you could put Ordnance Experts there and maybe even Flechette if you wanted?

1 hour ago, Grumbleduke said:

Or maybe troop-transport type flotillas; not useful for much other than putting Boarding Teams on them (give them a title that lets them re-use non-unique Boarding Teams?).

A way of delivering boarding teams would be nice. Boarding troopers sounds a little too good on this ship, maybe give it Squadrons 1 or so, that's a way to make sure they don't get spammed.

Light shielding on it too, maybe not much better than a flotilla. We don't want it spammed TOO much.

So slightly better than flotilla shielding, a weapons team and offensive retrofit for boarders, the ability to fire ON other flotillas, maybe a turbolaser slot on one version and a spot for Flechette Torpedoes on the other? I like the idea of this ship!