GrandAdmiralCrunch

What will Wave 8 bring?

On 1/21/2018 at 9:06 AM, Rune Taq said:

Anyway. What's this SSD rumor some of you are chatting about. Did they say something somewhere or is this complete and pure speculation.

Like @Drasnighta said, I've heard (from a playtester) about playtesting quite a while ago. I've also heard from someone else, whom I consider to be 'in the know', or, at least - not prone to spreading 'Lies!" and "Deception!"  - that the SSD is imminent.

So, this is totally hearsay, but not speculation. 

My speculation is this: Given that they have a development time of about 18 months, the fact that it was playtested "years" ago, should not mean that it was shelved. Also, given that the SSD would not just be any expansion, they'd want to time it right. I'd speculate that 'now' is just about the right time to release it. The game is somewhat entrenched right now, with people having bought in, and there'd be a decent market for an SSD.

8 hours ago, Flavorabledeez said:

Wave 8 will have General Calrissian with the ability to add more dice when your capital ships engage the enemy at close range.

I actually like this idea.  Maybe spend defense tokens to add dice or something to balance it, exhaust to reroll

Edited by Salted Diamond

13 hours ago, Mikael Hasselstein said:

Like @Drasnighta said, I've heard (from a playtester) about playtesting quite a while ago. I've also heard from someone else, whom I consider to be 'in the know', or, at least - not prone to spreading 'Lies!" and "Deception!"  - that the SSD is imminent.

My speculation is this: Given that they have a development time of about 18 months, the fact that it was playtested "years" ago, should not mean that it was shelved. Also, given that the SSD would not just be any expansion, they'd want to time it right. I'd speculate that 'now' is just about the right time to release it. The game is somewhat entrenched right now, with people having bought in, and there'd be a decent market for an SSD.

Very interesting. I hope you are right.  I would love an SSD.  I guess we will see... Or not and we will just speculate and imagine what it would be like for ever.  If/when they do release it, I hope it's not crazy expensive. Not sure I could handle a ship that is over $100. I think 120 might be the limit for me..... Ahhhhh... who am I kidding, if I can get my wife to say ok I'd buy it no matter what. 

for the Empire I would like:

Tector class ISD, Vindicator Class Cruiser, Acclamator Class Assault Ship, Venator Class Attack Cruiser,

For the Rebels I would like:

DP-20 Gunship, Marauder Class Corvette, Dreadnought Class Heavy Cruiser, Wingless Liberty MC80L

that's just off the top of my head.

2 hours ago, Indy_com said:

https://imgur.com/gallery/5AEw7

Now that wave 7 is released, wave 8 must be coming soon™

Rebellion:

Pheonix Nest

(its a rebel quasar...)

Empire:

Venator-Class Star Destroyer

Carrion Spike

(The rebels had 3 ships in wave 1 where the empire had 2. Now the empire can catch up.)

I think that the munificent frigate would be a better choice for the rebels. It would give them another medium base

As far as I know FFG was not allowed to use Episode 1-3 stuff due to the rights not currently being available. So unless it shows up in a newer source outside of the Clone Wars era it won't make the cut. AT least that is what I recall.

2 hours ago, GiledPallaeon said:

And they will still be bad because they are literally the Armada benchmark for that.

It's just one of those things. I hear Rebels complaining about how they don't get this-and-that like Imperials but the immediate counter is "all of your commanders are non-garbage; some of them might be janky or require specific builds to work (that you may or may not want to play), but none of them are garbage. Two of ours are."

Konstantine actually shows promise in Monster Trucks, for what it's worth.

27 minutes ago, Snipafist said:

Konstantine actually shows promise in Monster Trucks, for what it's worth.

Can confirm. 

tumblr_inline_mo5i4yTncj1qz4rgp.gif

Local 600-800 point matches with Konstantine are one sided as ****, but we cap our squads out at 100 points, dunno if that matters. 

Edited by Darth Sanguis
added an image for fun

On 1/23/2018 at 9:25 AM, Mikael Hasselstein said:

Person that really wants the SSD suggests it's imminent :P If only there was a 3yr + old thread that's been suggesting the same for that 3yr + period . Soon™ 

I think everyone suggesting the next wave won't be out for a while is right on. I don't know what ships will be involved but I doubt we'll even hear about it until april / may and it won't hit shelves until november at earliest. 

Edited by dominosfleet

Just now, Mikael Hasselstein said:

Soon. Very Soon. 

I think it would be as cool as it would be pointless. I'm not going to lie and say I wouldn't buy one (I own a full set of Imperial X-wing models, the raider, a lot of rebels, the corvette, as well as a lot of Scum and I don't play X-wing anymore) but I don't think I'd ever end up using it beyond 1 game. 

If it comes out I'd really like it to come out alongside a new campaign that actually (optionally) makes use of it so it's more than just the 3ft long set piece I'd mentioned in the other thread. 

12 minutes ago, dominosfleet said:

I think it would be as cool as it would be pointless. I'm not going to lie and say I wouldn't buy one (I own a full set of Imperial X-wing models, the raider, a lot of rebels, the corvette, as well as a lot of Scum and I don't play X-wing anymore) but I don't think I'd ever end up using it beyond 1 game. 

If it comes out I'd really like it to come out alongside a new campaign that actually (optionally) makes use of it so it's more than just the 3ft long set piece I'd mentioned in the other thread. 

I hear that it's going to have at least two versions - just like other ships. One version is the full version, for which you will need special rules to play. The other will be a downgraded/prototype version that will allow it to be used in the standard 400-point game.

Just now, Mikael Hasselstein said:

I hear that it's going to have at least two versions - just like other ships. One version is the full version, for which you will need special rules to play. The other will be a downgraded/prototype version that will allow it to be used in the standard 400-point game.

I hear it'll come with unicorn tears and will shoot lazar beams. 

Until something's announced anecdotal accounts of what stats/abilities it'll have seem like wishlisting. 

...Thing better include a pony.  

1 minute ago, dominosfleet said:

I hear it'll come with unicorn tears and will shoot lazar beams. 

Until something's announced anecdotal accounts of what stats/abilities it'll have seem like wishlisting. 

...Thing better include a pony.  

Hey, it might all be smoke blowing up my rear end, but the guy who told me is a fairly respectable guy who I don't think would give me a line of crap. He's not some wild-eyed dweeb who makes things up.
I have no stake in your believing me, or - by my proxy - him. I'm just saying what I heard, from a source I trust, which sounds fairly plausible to me - considering that I did hear that it was playtested a while back.

35 minutes ago, Mikael Hasselstein said:

If its as big and powerful as everyone wants it to be, prepare for it to cost around 150-175 points before any upgrades are added.

It's 2 versions should both be usable in 400 point games, just with it taking up most of your fleet to do so.

5 minutes ago, Indy_com said:

If its as big and powerful as everyone wants it to be, prepare for it to cost around 150-175 points before any upgrades are added.

It's 2 versions should both be usable in 400 point games, just with it taking up most of your fleet to do so.

I imagine that even the downgraded version will be worth a hefty amount of points.

But I hear that the beefier version will not be appropriate for standard (read: tournament) games. Any thoughts on what it 'should be' but 'won't be' are a bit beside the point, I think.