Sign in to follow this  
goncardoso

looking for someone cool :(

If you wear Zoomies, you will be promoted to Captain of Coolness. As a Captain, you will hold a high-ranking position in the military hierarchy of the future, commanding troops less cool than you. Doesn’t that sound radical? Whether your target is moving at high speeds or hiding in large crowds, you will own the visual spectrum.

On 11/8/2017 at 10:40 AM, goncardoso said:

hi, i'm trying to get a group to play some SW but it seems no one let's me join it :\ if someone runs a game pls let me in.. i dont have mic but i'm fully operational to play it :x

Www.LegendsoftheGalaxy.com

we host games all over the world

48 minutes ago, The Grand Falloon said:

Man, it's like 75 degrees here in California, but somehow we're still so cool...

FastTimes_103Pyxurz.jpg

If he's so cool, where are his Zoomies? He won't be promoted to Captain of Coolness. He won't hold a high-ranking position in the military hierarchy of the future, and will instead be commanded by Captains more cool than him. Doesn’t that sound radical? Whether his target is moving at high speeds or hiding in large crowds, he will lose the visual spectrum.

1 hour ago, Endersai said:

What's that in real world measurements? :P 

Anywhere on earth but America, someone would have said 3 degrees Celsius.  Personally I blame the English for giving us their system of measurement and not issuing a recall when they switched to SI.

Defective English piece of junk is what it is. I mean come on, having the pound as both a unit of mass and force, when gravitational acceleration is about 32.2 feet per second squared instead of 1 and a 1 pound mass weighs 1 pound.  Newton wound turn over in his grave because F=/=MA (and yes i know newton said derivative of momentum instead of MA, but the point is still valid). I think the English were just getting back at us for dumping their tea into Boston harbor.  Seriously, that's really petty.?

As a (now 41 year old) American engineer I was taught in metric/SI units 20ish years ago, but I'm still forced to use English units in everyday (not engineering) life.

Edited by EliasWindrider

The French could have done a better job on SI/metric too.  I mean why define 1 meter based on the arbitrary length of a piece of metal?  If they had made it just a hair shorter, specificall 0.980665 of what we now call a meter then g would be 10 instead of 9.80665.  Yes g varies based on location but not by much and that's the constant we all use, so it really is a missed opportunity.

I personally don’t get all this obsession over measurements. 99% of the time, it doesn’t matter what you use, because conversion isn’t required. It’s really only a minor annoyance that there are two measuring systems, but undoing everything isn’t worth the effort at this point.

1 hour ago, EliasWindrider said:

English units are error prone, makes a difference in high consequences applications (e.g. design and control systems, simulationso are a lot easier in metric too), but in applications not related to science and engineering it doesn't really matter.

In applications related to science and engineering, everybody uses metric anyway.

8 minutes ago, Yaccarus said:

In applications related to science and engineering, everybody uses metric anyway.

Not everyone, about a decade ago we lost a probe to I think Mars because a mismatch in units english vs. metric in a functionsmall arguments in the flight control logic.  And imagine the controls for us manufactured cars are in English units, I'd also guess a large number of cars designed in the U.S. use design/Sim software that uses English units because the parts (nuts bolts, washers, etc. Etc. Etc.) are in English units

On ‎27‎.‎11‎.‎2017 at 6:07 AM, EliasWindrider said:

Still doesn't absolve the brits for making a nonsensical system of units.  One thing i've learned is that you have to be very careful about the standards you set because they tend to be in use for a long time

http://www.astrodigital.org/space/stshorse.html

Blame is on you alone; when you dumped them into the ocean for good, why, for Force's sake, would the one thing you kept be their nonsensical measurements. You even changed your currency to decimal.

16 hours ago, Grimmerling said:

Blame is on you alone; when you dumped them into the ocean for good, why, for Force's sake, would the one thing you kept be their nonsensical measurements. You even changed your currency to decimal.

I disagree with sole placement of blame.  We continued to import tech from England until our own industrial base was built up, and by then the standards had been established.  And currently both English and Metric are in side by side use in terms of parts/tools to build stuff. Standards in common usage stick around for a long time, but technical people like engineers and scientists are more open to changing standards.  For at least the last 20 years, English units haven't been more than a footnote in engineering education.  But phasing out tools is harder because of 1 it also requires changing process at the same time and 2 replacing tools/equipment is costly.  I think the advent of computing is what has provided incentive to change, also much of the rest of the world iso now very competitive in terms of tech so tech isupport being imported again.  About 30 years ago we were the undisputed leaders in most technical endeavors.  Since we're importing tech again now it gives us another opportunity to change standards (an opportunity that was previously a net disadvantage despite have some good aspects).

Edited by EliasWindrider