Celestial Lizards

Crack Shot: Uses?

I think this card is really great.

People forget Crack Shot is not only useful when you get to use it, but is also a good token stripper when you don't.

Because you get to use it AFTER the opponent modified his defense dice.

Often a crack shot ship (even a single one) firing first will get the opponent to use a defensive token to avoid getting hit if you discard the Crack shot card.

In this case you dont "use" the card directly, but it still benefit you when attacking with your other ships on the same target (or defending against, if it discarded a Focus).

Edited by Giledhil

29 minutes ago, Giledhil said:

I think this card is really great.

People forget Crack Shot is not only useful when you get to use it, but is also a good token stripper when you don't.

Because you get to use it AFTER the opponent modified his defense dice.

Often a crack shot ship (even a single one) firing first will get the opponent to use a defensive token to avoid getting hit if you discard the Crack shot card.

In this case you dont "use" the card directly, but it still benefit you when attacking with your other ships on the same target (or defending against, if it discarded a Focus).

People have literally already pointed this out in this very thread...

13 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

People have literally already pointed this out in this very thread...

And then people keep telling "Crack Shot doest a single damage" in this very thread, reducing the effect of the card to it, when there is more to it that that :)

I always think of it as a cheap missile that sits in an elite slot. As noted, it's more-or-less an extra damage. Yes it has some potential for mind games "if you spend the token I'll crack shot the evade so there's no point spending it" or vice-versa, but by and large the effect isn't devastating unless you have it en masse.

It really stands out where you've got 'if you're hit' effects like the stealth device - not only does crack shot help you land a hit, but that crucial  first hit means you can still hurt them after expending the upgrade, when you'd have struggled before.

At the same time, it's a poor substitute for extra dice - Crack Shot Vaksai Black Sun Aces are nice, but Cruise Missile Vaksai Black Sun Aces come in the same numbers. The difference will be how much mileage you can get out of their pulse ray shields. 

20 hours ago, Celestial Lizards said:

When I first saw Crack Shot, I thought to myself: "No way that's worth it on anything except Tomax Bren." I mean, you can only use it once! But it seems people are quite into this card. Why is that and why should you use it?

It's 1 guaranteed point of damage extra for 1 point.  Overdramatically spoken 3 crackshots = one dead Soontir Fel ;-)

And even now with lower agility targets it is still pretty amazing, because it makes your initial damage so much higher and thus helps you to achieve a early lead to roll with into the mid and endgame. A TIE-Swarm without crackshot has nearly no chance to remove Nym in a single turn for example, meanwhile a crack swarm usually does remove him during approach. Even against agility 1 targets, it just increases your damage by a plain one point. And each time it would not increase your damage because your target rolled enough evades, maybe spend that focus token to get that one evade over to prevent your crackshot? Still worth it, you just use it in the next shot, because you never WASTE a crackshot, it always applies it's one extra damage. (expect when you get killed before you could use it, so hostile alpha is not your friend ;-))