Guidance Chips (0)

Esege Tuketu (28)
Extra Munitions (2)
Concussion Missiles (4)
Rey (2)
Long-Range Scanners (0)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

I'm toying around with Nera for a while now but never really found an opportunity to play her. 

Dutch and Esege seem to fit the alpha strike theme decently, so I though I give it a shot but had no time to test it out yet.

Any critique?

In terms of the build itself, I'd only advise using Protons on Esege.

That being said, I'm not convinced by the list after the Alpha Strike. A K and Y without a turret are not a threat, and Nera is easy to outfly. All your opponent would need to do is survive the initial joust, and then they'd be fine. You need some staying power. Turrets, an ace, something like that.

On 08/11/2017 at 4:23 PM, Stay On The Leader said:
  • Airen Cracken (10) - VI, Harpoon Missile, Guidance Chips (24)
  • Wedge Antilles (10) - Adaptability, Plasma Torpedo, BB-8, Guidance Chips (34)
  • Captain Nym (10) - VI, Harpoon Missile, Extra Munitions, Rey, Guidance Chips, Bomblet Generator (42)

Almost the list I used recently. Just add Autoblaster Turret instead if EM on Nym. An alternative build option is give Nym the title, LRS, Genius, and Collision Detector instead of Rey, and keeping EM whilst still getting the turret.

14 hours ago, Gilarius said:

Almost the list I used recently. Just add Autoblaster Turret instead if EM on Nym. An alternative build option is give Nym the title, LRS, Genius, and Collision Detector instead of Rey, and keeping EM whilst still getting the turret.

Was it good?

I might use it at the weekend.

I ran this a while age and won a dozen-person store kit tourney with it.  It's based of a "make Wedge work" thread on here a while back.  It works pretty good and would probably work better now with harpoons (knee jerk changes below in second list).  I think Wedge wants Proton Torps, because there are a lot of scenarios were the shields are already down and/or he's firing last, so he gets to put through two crits between chips and the torp ability.

Captain Nym (Rebel) (30)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Autoblaster Turret (2)
Cruise Missiles (3)
Bomblet Generator (3)
Accuracy Corrector (3)
"Genius" (0)
Long-Range Scanners (0)
Havoc (0)

Wedge Antilles (29)
Adaptability (0)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
R3-A2 (2)
Guidance Chips (0)

Airen Cracken (19)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Cruise Missiles (3)
Guidance Chips (0)

Captain Nym (Rebel) (30)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Autoblaster Turret (2)
Harpoon Missiles (4)
Bomblet Generator (3)
Fire-Control System (2)
"Genius" (0)
Guidance Chips (0)
Havoc (0)

Wedge Antilles (29)
Adaptability (0)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
R2 Astromech (1)
Guidance Chips (0)

Airen Cracken (19)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Harpoon Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)

1 hour ago, Stay On The Leader said:

1pt mech and Protons... I think getting the 1 guaranteee crit from Chips to trigger Harpoons is good enough, I'd rather have BB8 helping him track targets.

Very tempted to drop what I was going to run (Ghost/Miranda) and try this instead.

Can't really disagree.  There's merit to both.  BB-8 will help Wedge in the inevitable furball after the initial engagement (it will very likely happen).  I was thinking R2 for a K-turn after the initial engagement, then movement freedom afterwards to clear the stress.  

Generally I had Airen fire first, Nym second, Wedge last.  I one-rounded a fair amount of stuff like that, even x/7 defenders and jumpmasters.  Afterwards Wedge usually dies first, then Airen while Nym mops up.

3 hours ago, Stay On The Leader said:

Was it good?

I might use it at the weekend.

It was the first weekend that Nym was legal, so no Harpoons - I'd never flown Nym at all, nor Airen, and even Wedge had barely been tried by me before. I hadn't tried Cruise missiles, so Airen had Homing and Nym had Plasma Torps, with Rey crew. Came 2nd in a 20-odd person Store Champs. Deleted an Upsilon before it could shoot; almost blew Chiraneau out of the skies in one round when he boosted into range 1 to avoid the torpedoes; PS killed 2 other Nyms and Fenn Rau. 3 rounds in a row were 100-0 nil victories, including the semi-final. Lost to Mike in the final (after wiping his Miranda & Nym in the last round of Swiss) when he annoyingly knew my game-plan and didn't park his Nym where I could kill it. Miranda won the game for him that time.

Currently trying out the Genius/Collison detector/Title/EM/Harpoon/LRS/Autoblaster version.

The biggest problem with the list is it ruins a lot of the fun for me: if the alpha strike works, the win becomes almost inevitable and a bit of a let-down. I actually prefer it when I can't get the ordnance off early on and have to fly well to achieve anything. Hence my use of Porkins, Dutch, & Hobbie more frequently. They play in a very similar style but can't alpha anyone. But they're less fun when the opposition is too good for them to have even a sniff of a chance. Eg facing Telgar before the nerfing; whereas Wedge, Nym & Airen can PS-kill Dengar.

BB8 is really helpful to get (limited) repositioning on Wedge; EM is now essential if taking Genius to keep Bomblet once; I didn't have the points to have Protons on Wedge, but some of the time he gets to shoot a fresh target once Nym and then Airen fire at the first one. Airen's ability means that Wedge can choose his target after the other two have fired.

1 hour ago, gennataos said:

Can't really disagree.  There's merit to both.  BB-8 will help Wedge in the inevitable furball after the initial engagement (it will very likely happen).  I was thinking R2 for a K-turn after the initial engagement, then movement freedom afterwards to clear the stress.  

Generally I had Airen fire first, Nym second, Wedge last.  I one-rounded a fair amount of stuff like that, even x/7 defenders and jumpmasters.  Afterwards Wedge usually dies first, then Airen while Nym mops up.

I fire Nym first, so Wedge can choose a new target once Airen's fired and possibly killed the original one. BB8 allows Wedge to do some arc-dodging, but he really wants more greens to clear stress. Very frustrating. And I too made my list after reading the 'Make Wedge Good' thread. I was about to use the Horton Salm version when Nym appeared and was far too good to leave out...

On 10/11/2017 at 5:09 PM, Gilarius said:

It was the first weekend that Nym was legal, so no Harpoons - I'd never flown Nym at all, nor Airen, and even Wedge had barely been tried by me before. I hadn't tried Cruise missiles, so Airen had Homing and Nym had Plasma Torps, with Rey crew. Came 2nd in a 20-odd person Store Champs. Deleted an Upsilon before it could shoot; almost blew Chiraneau out of the skies in one round when he boosted into range 1 to avoid the torpedoes; PS killed 2 other Nyms and Fenn Rau. 3 rounds in a row were 100-0 nil victories, including the semi-final. Lost to Mike in the final (after wiping his Miranda & Nym in the last round of Swiss) when he annoyingly knew my game-plan and didn't park his Nym where I could kill it. Miranda won the game for him that time.

Currently trying out the Genius/Collison detector/Title/EM/Harpoon/LRS/Autoblaster version.

The biggest problem with the list is it ruins a lot of the fun for me: if the alpha strike works, the win becomes almost inevitable and a bit of a let-down. I actually prefer it when I can't get the ordnance off early on and have to fly well to achieve anything. Hence my use of Porkins, Dutch, & Hobbie more frequently. They play in a very similar style but can't alpha anyone. But they're less fun when the opposition is too good for them to have even a sniff of a chance. Eg facing Telgar before the nerfing; whereas Wedge, Nym & Airen can PS-kill Dengar.

BB8 is really helpful to get (limited) repositioning on Wedge; EM is now essential if taking Genius to keep Bomblet once; I didn't have the points to have Protons on Wedge, but some of the time he gets to shoot a fresh target once Nym and then Airen fire at the first one. Airen's ability means that Wedge can choose his target after the other two have fired.

It is good.  Just smashed 5-0 through a strong Swiss tournament, about to start the top 8.

• Wedge Antilles (29)
    • Adaptability (0)
    • Flight-Assist Astromech (1)
    • Proton Torpedoes (4)
    • Guidance Chips (0)
  • Wes Janson (28)
    • VI (1)
    • Plasma Torpedoes (3)
    • Guidance Chips (0)
  • Luke Skywalker (28)
    • VI (1)
    • Plasma Torpedoes (3)
    • Guidance Chips (0)

Don't know if it's better than Cracken-Wedge-Nym, but it's an excuse to run triple T-65s. And the FAAs should help make sure they actually have things to shoot in and beyond the initial engagement.

4 hours ago, Stay On The Leader said:

7-0, not particularly close to losing a game.  This is legit very good I think!

Which version of the list were you using? I've been trying to figure out how to make an ordinance viable list for Rebels for the last week and haven't been able to come up with much (partially because the Rebels have no Tie Bomber equivilant, assuming the K is more like the Punisher)

Any good starting points or ships to base out of? Dutch seems pretty solid for stuff like this. 

Best,

Cow

7 hours ago, Stay On The Leader said:

7-0, not particularly close to losing a game.  This is legit very good I think!

I shelved mine version kind of for the same reasons.  It felt...too good?  I did lose one game with it against a scum Nym and PS11 Dengar, which I later beat.  Since that tourney win, I moved on to Wookies and a failed Mynock Bounty run.  With Harpoon missiles now, I will probably bring it back out, particularly when the new droids come out.  It has some weakness, but almost assuredly nuking a ship on the opening encounter before it fires is pretty powerful.

Get rid of the Y-wing. They are better as TLT houses and if you are not packing TLT Y-wings are not worth the points. If you need the lock then Lt Blount with tracer missiles. You could put more torps Esege. Drop Rey for Weapons Engineer if you are going to use LRS. In a matter of fact there is no need to use LRS unless you have Homing Missiles. Always go GC.

7 hours ago, Cow-of-Doom said:

Which version of the list were you using? I've been trying to figure out how to make an ordinance viable list for Rebels for the last week and haven't been able to come up with much (partially because the Rebels have no Tie Bomber equivilant, assuming the K is more like the Punisher)

Any good starting points or ships to base out of? Dutch seems pretty solid for stuff like this. 

Best,

Cow

F51vQMG.jpg

@Stay On The Leader - So you did swap out Extra Munitions for Autoblaster Turret from you original...that the only tweak?  Do you feel there's any chance FCS would have been better than Rey?  How was BB-8 for keeping Wedge on-target?  Lastly, did you face any RAClo?  I was thinking that might be a bit of an issue, getting blinded before someone fires.

Edited by gennataos

34 minutes ago, gennataos said:

@Stay On The Leader - So you did swap out Extra Munitions for Autoblaster Turret from you original...that the only tweak?  Do you feel there's any chance FCS would have been better than Rey?  How was BB-8 for keeping Wedge on-target?  Lastly, did you face any RAClo?  I was thinking that might be a bit of an issue, getting blinded before someone fires.

So, yes that was the only tweak and it was spot-on.  Great advice from @Gilarius!

Rey and BB8 would be 2 of my 3 MVPs from the day, along with Bomblet Generator.  Alright, there are 6 MVPs because all three pilot abilities were extremely good as well.  FCS in no way replaces Rey, you want to have Focus and TL when you enter missile range, whereas FCS only gives you the TL after you already fired.

I did not face RAClo.  No idea how that matchup would play out, I think he has the problem of needing to Engine to control range because he certainly cant afford to be at R3 against me, but he can't Engine and Kylo the same turn.  

I'm writing it up properly for my blog, which will be up in the next day or so I hope!

11 minutes ago, Stay On The Leader said:

So, yes that was the only tweak and it was spot-on.  Great advice from @Gilarius!

Rey and BB8 would be 2 of my 3 MVPs from the day, along with Bomblet Generator.  Alright, there are 6 MVPs because all three pilot abilities were extremely good as well.  FCS in no way replaces Rey, you want to have Focus and TL when you enter missile range, whereas FCS only gives you the TL after you already fired.

I did not face RAClo.  No idea how that matchup would play out, I think he has the problem of needing to Engine to control range because he certainly cant afford to be at R3 against me, but he can't Engine and Kylo the same turn.  

I'm writing it up properly for my blog, which will be up in the next day or so I hope!

Excellent!  Yeah, the Rey choice to have both TL + focus was a no brainer...my brain wasn't turned on yet.  You think there's any chance that the new FAA droid could be a viable replacement for BB-8 at one point cheaper?  I just keep thinking about RAClo...I'm always considering RAClo...and I don't know if those lists ever have a bid.  If you could guarantee you fire before he gets off his Blinded, that might make all the difference.  An early Blinded Pilot or Damaged Cockpit on Airen could really put a hurting on the efficiency of the list.

Also, good call earlier on Plasma over Proton.  It'd been a while since I'd played my version, and I was thinking Proton was like Concussion Missile and turned a blank into a hit, not a focus into a crit.  Duh...yeah, not a whole lot of improvement for that shot when Wedge will probably already have Focus.

Looking forward to the write-up!

Edited by gennataos

FAA is the one thing that I would consider swapping BB8 for - a (situational) choice between either barrel roll or boost is possibly better than the pre-movement barrel roll, simply because it would help Wedge to turn around quicker without stress. And, like almost all X-Wings, Wedge has a lot of problems turning around. I'd have to try it and see.

I did manage to take out Soontir Fel with him last week, but only by PS-killing him in the end and he'd put 2 damage on Wedge without taking any back, due to my shots bouncing earlier in the game.

RAClo might be tricky, but also might not: only 2 ships in that list, and RAC will burn down quickly if he takes 2 missiles/torps early. I had no problems facing RAC (albeit without Kylo) in the very first game I used this list, even when he gave me initiative. 100-0 :) .

19 minutes ago, Gilarius said:

FAA is the one thing that I would consider swapping BB8 for - a (situational) choice between either barrel roll or boost is possibly better than the pre-movement barrel roll, simply because it would help Wedge to turn around quicker without stress. And, like almost all X-Wings, Wedge has a lot of problems turning around. I'd have to try it and see.

Word for word.  

I would think Imperial alpha would be one thing it would have trouble against since the PS11 Vader and Quickdraw with harpoons should be able to wipe either Airen or Wedge out before they get to go. Whoever survives can probably take one of the imperials out though. Would be interesting to try them out against each other.

11 minutes ago, Pleugim said:

I would think Imperial alpha would be one thing it would have trouble against since the PS11 Vader and Quickdraw with harpoons should be able to wipe either Airen or Wedge out before they get to go. Whoever survives can probably take one of the imperials out though. Would be interesting to try them out against each other.

That's something I'd considered.  We can run those against each other next time!