Jump to content

Recommended Posts

The old fear mechanic was great. Hope they add one.

A kernel of an idea: a "fear ability" could add a condition like "Afraid", which makes a character compromised (like when strife exceeds composure) until they remove the Afraid condition with a check (... Meditation?). The check should probably scale.

Or something nasty dice penalty and strife dumping. 

But strife alone seems insufficient. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd likely do it by adding things adversary abilities and shuji that allow for the direct infliction of Strife without need for spending opportunities.

Terrifying Howl - As a Scheme and Movement action, adversary unleashes a howls  from your nightmares. Each character at range 0-4 must resist with a TN 4 Meditation (Earth 2, Air 5) check or suffer the Dazed condition and 5 strife.

Intimidating Glare - As a Scheme action make a Command(Earth) check against the targets Vigilance. If Successful the target suffers 3+ bonus successes Strife.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ultimatecalibur said:

Terrifying Howl - As a Scheme and Movement action, adversary unleashes a howls  from your nightmares. Each character at range 0-4 must resist with a TN 4 Meditation (Earth 2, Air 5) check or suffer the Dazed condition and 5 strife.

That's basically Lord Akodo's Roar plus some fire opportunities - sounds good as an adversary effect (although range 4 may be a bit much)

1 hour ago, Ultimatecalibur said:

Intimidating Glare - As a Scheme action make a Command(Earth) check against the targets Vigilance. If Successful the target suffers 3+ bonus successes Strife.

Intrigues really need something like intimidate/provoke/whatever - given that the Discredit objective requires you to force [named opponent] to unmask, there really needs to be an equivalent of centre's ability to dump strife on someone with action successes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the strife system all on its own would reflect fear pretty well mechanically. Maybe something like, the outburst caused by strife gained through fear should reflect that fear, but otherwise being compromised is a pretty good penalty. Maybe fear gives automatic strife at the start of each round equal to the fear rating, and let the system handle the rest. No need to make things overly complicated with more effects and whatnot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

That's basically Lord Akodo's Roar plus some fire opportunities - sounds good as an adversary effect (although range 4 may be a bit much)

The range 0-4 comes from the Hideous Oni's Dread Bellow which Disorients, pushes targets away one band and heals the Oni 2 fatigue for each character that fails the TN 4 Meditation (Earth 2 Air 5) check to resist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...