Jump to content
Darth Az

Is IA going to die?

Recommended Posts

On 2/11/2018 at 10:10 AM, cleardave said:

Apologies, I thought when you said "Hasbro" it was in reference to some other product line, not the WotC Star Wars Miniatures game of old.  I'm completely aware of them and had some in the past.

 

Yeah the terms became interchangeable by the end. Hasbro bought them out. Or I always thought they did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Gallanteer said:

Dice Tower have posted a Legion review. Interesting. Abd towards the end they seem to think as we here agree, there is room for both IA and Legion. Interestingly, they're not sure of Legion's long term staying power. Regardless of that, lets hope they're right about IA.

Yup. These guys nailed it. I think the ship has sailed for these kinds of games to explode into the market. I also agree with them that it won't encroach on IA. Such a different game of which guys like me have little to no interest in playing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2018 at 5:44 PM, Gallanteer said:

Dice Tower have posted a Legion review. Interesting. Abd towards the end they seem to think as we here agree, there is room for both IA and Legion. Interestingly, they're not sure of Legion's long term staying power. Regardless of that, lets hope they're right about IA.

True but it is worth remembering, all these games die. The only one I can think of that hasn't is Warhammer 40k, though it is virtually unrecognizable from the old days. Every other game I ever played, has died off. Some, such as Dungeons & Dragons, have re-emerged from the ashes, but still. Unless you are into Scrabble or Monopoly, it's a good bet that your favorite game is gonna die off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TauntaunScout said:

True but it is worth remembering, all these games die. The only one I can think of that hasn't is Warhammer 40k, though it is virtually unrecognizable from the old days. Every other game I ever played, has died off. Some, such as Dungeons & Dragons, have re-emerged from the ashes, but still. Unless you are into Scrabble or Monopoly, it's a good bet that your favorite game is gonna die off. 

I've barely touched upon campaign, so if skirmish dies, I'll be doing that. By that time, there will be more ap missions too! That means I can even play this by myself, which is another great feature of the best star wars game on the market that people forget about. You can play it alone! I dare Armada, X-wing, or Legion players to play their games by themselves! Can you imagine? :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest, to keep IA campaign alive, FFG could just sell digital campaign books to download utilising tiles, minis and cards already produced and throw in an odd rule or two. That's fairly cheap, keeps the original campaign mode alive and on occasion could sell a new blister pack for extra minis and cards when required. They would also still be 'official' campaigns rather than homebrew.

Or FFG digital could produce an app for map design and campaign documentation (unless I get round to writing one myself). As long as they keep producing the products already on the market, the game could last a very long time.

.....I still think an annual boxed expansion is quite likely though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gallanteer said:

To be honest, to keep IA campaign alive, FFG could just sell digital campaign books to download utilising tiles, minis and cards already produced and throw in an odd rule or two. That's fairly cheap, keeps the original campaign mode alive and on occasion could sell a new blister pack for extra minis and cards when required. They would also still be 'official' campaigns rather than homebrew.

Or FFG digital could produce an app for map design and campaign documentation (unless I get round to writing one myself). As long as they keep producing the products already on the market, the game could last a very long time.

.....I still think an annual boxed expansion is quite likely though.

Really, with all the expansions, minis and tiles that are now avaiable I don't see why FFG can't just release Campaign Book packs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because, while these are cheaper to produce, they do not bring in much revenue. A campaign book will sell only to a limited number of customers who has already invested in the big box(es); no potentially new customers will pick up a campaign book and no potentially new costumers will buy a big box on the backs of a campaign book. Essentially, campaign books are fan service that serve little other purpose than making us happy, but they still require writers, developers, play-testers, editors, arts, continuity people, IP specialists, etc. etc to produce. So, there might be... idunno, 70% less resources invested in producing a campaign book, but there will also be, like, 95% less gain from it (or whatever the numbers are).

FFG could be nice enough to do this, but I wouldn't hold my breath as they are a first and foremost a business, not a fan-boys productions company (which is why they produce quality stuff rather than "Bantha poodoo" stuff that most fan-boy operations do; and I happen to have been part of one of those fan-boy outfits and should know what I'm talking about there, heh heh ;) ).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mulletcheese said:

FFG did campaign books for descent 1st and 2nd editions. I see no reason why they couldn't do one for descent 3rd edition (AKA imperial assault).

The main reason is likely because it only caters to a part of the IA player base.  While Descent is solely a campaign based game, IA also has a skirmish crowd which would get zero benefit from a product such as that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FSD said:

The main reason is likely because it only caters to a part of the IA player base.  While Descent is solely a campaign based game, IA also has a skirmish crowd which would get zero benefit from a product such as that.

Perhaps each campaign book could include a couple of appropriately-themed skirmish maps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, angelman2 said:

Because, while these are cheaper to produce, they do not bring in much revenue. A campaign book will sell only to a limited number of customers who has already invested in the big box(es); no potentially new customers will pick up a campaign book and no potentially new costumers will buy a big box on the backs of a campaign book. Essentially, campaign books are fan service that serve little other purpose than making us happy, but they still require writers, developers, play-testers, editors, arts, continuity people, IP specialists, etc. etc to produce. So, there might be... idunno, 70% less resources invested in producing a campaign book, but there will also be, like, 95% less gain from it (or whatever the numbers are).

FFG could be nice enough to do this, but I wouldn't hold my breath as they are a first and foremost a business, not a fan-boys productions company (which is why they produce quality stuff rather than "Bantha poodoo" stuff that most fan-boy operations do; and I happen to have been part of one of those fan-boy outfits and should know what I'm talking about there, heh heh ;) ).

I did mention it could be a digital download. No printing, no physical distribution. Apart from design and development, there is very little further cost. They could even sell in on the Kindle store to help with DRM. Very little cost and if they do it right, it could boost sales of existing boxes where tiles are needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mulletcheese said:

FFG did campaign books for descent 1st and 2nd editions. I see no reason why they couldn't do one for descent 3rd edition (AKA imperial assault).

My guess is, because they learned one lesson or other from selling the Descent ones, and decided it would be a bad idea based on their experience. Or they just don't have the time to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Is IA going to die?

Lemme introduce you....
STAR WARS: Episode 9 - Return of the Wookies

STARRING:
*JJ ABRAMS* - @Hacendator
A villain from Batman series - @ryanjamal
Palpatine (??) - wasn't he dead!?
Overgrown furries with Tantrum Adrenaline, known as Wookies!!
A Rebel hero who'll definitely survive season 4 (SPOILERS?)
A Chewbacca who's finally back in his glory of the original trilogy! :wub:

Immagine.png
https://ibb.co/eRWRO7

And you say IA is going to die!? HOW DARE YOU! XD

Edited by erlucius90

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, a1bert said:

Hogwash! BSG never dies! (Even when it's no longer produced.)

 

Seconded.  I've had it since it came out and I still manage to get it out on the table a couple of times a year.  It's too good to get rid of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, NeverBetTheFett said:

I've barely touched upon campaign, so if skirmish dies, I'll be doing that. By that time, there will be more ap missions too! That means I can even play this by myself, which is another great feature of the best star wars game on the market that people forget about. You can play it alone! I dare Armada, X-wing, or Legion players to play their games by themselves! Can you imagine? :D

The interesting thing about the app is, you can replay it and not know what's going to happen.  Like in one of the early missions you have to find key, the get to a goal behind door A, B, or C while dodging enemies. Nether the enemies, the location of the key, nor which door the goal is behind, is set in stone. The app randomizes it each time you play. You might get bored playing it over and over but it does have re-playability. 

But yes IA is going to die. I give it a max lifespan of 15 years. How many years are we into now? It's probably got a few good years left unless it gets randomly sued out of production. Historically, Star Wars games eventually lose robustness like all not-new games, then suffer from licensing BS that kills them off. A more bangin' game might fight off the licensing issues, but, game companies won't justify the cost of the fight for a game that is a couple years past its peak. Whereas homegrown games can run indefinitely. But Star Wars always has to deal with outside interference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, NeverBetTheFett said:

That's something a Cylon would say. Hmmmm. (flips loyalty card).

Rookie mistake. You need an action to reveal (to use the action on the loyalty card)!

Never gets old, every game is different with 240 plays since the beginning of 2013 when I started logging plays. (Once or twice a week.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, a1bert said:

Rookie mistake. You need an action to reveal (to use the action on the loyalty card)!

Never gets old, every game is different with 240 plays since the beginning of 2013 when I started logging plays. (Once or twice a week.)

Agreed. Great game with a great value. 

And this is how I see IA going for me. True maps get rotated out of competition, but you can still always go back  and play them casually any time. So you're not just stuck only playing campaign after the game dies (in 30 years :P). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We haven't played it since one of our group got the right hump when everyone accused him of being a Cylon, and he wasn't.  Time to dust it off again!

Going back to IA - in terms of purchasing new stuff, I for one would be more interested in purchasing new campaign books than additional expansions.  IA is taking up a preposterous amount of space in my house, and being able to buy new campaign content without having more *stuff* would have real appeal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, udat said:

We haven't played it since one of our group got the right hump when everyone accused him of being a Cylon, and he wasn't.  Time to dust it off again!

Going back to IA - in terms of purchasing new stuff, I for one would be more interested in purchasing new campaign books than additional expansions.  IA is taking up a preposterous amount of space in my house, and being able to buy new campaign content without having more *stuff* would have real appeal.

Yes, but include fix cards for old figures. This will appease skirmish players with what would seem like a low cost option. There are so many figures that should, but don't see the light of day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NeverBetTheFett said:

Yes, but include fix cards for old figures. This will appease skirmish players with what would seem like a low cost option. There are so many figures that should, but don't see the light of day. 

Yep.  I'd also be happy with the ability to buy new deployment cards that modify or re-use existing figure packs, which would be another way to solve that problem that doesn't take up much/any space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...