Darth Sanguis

Acrylic Ship tokens (gauging interest)*

Also use "clever" alternate names for anything you are selling for any amount of profit that pertains to anything specific to the IP.   "Victorious Star Destructor" or "Imperialist Space Destroyer"  ect..  This is also why range rulers and Tokens are easier to get by with compared to something that would represent specific ships

So a quick update here. I was unfortunately unable to reach a quality fabricators in the local area, there is however a service available to me that may allow me to consolidate costs as well as produce these... 

I'm going to draft up the necessary CAD/CAM drawings and see what pricing looks like to have these made....

I'll keep you posted in this thread, you may wanna follow it so you don't miss any news.

@BrobaFett @Ardaedhel @Karneck @GhostofNobodyInParticular @ovinomanc3r @Church14 @Undeadguy @Hastatior @Arttemis

I am certainly interested.

It strikes me (though I have no legal training, so take it for what it's worth) that as long as you're not putting Star Wars content on the pieces, you will not anger The Mouse. That is how Space Rocks got in trouble, IIRC. I think that FFG might view your product as something that enhances the experience of their game, making it something that will make more people want to buy it, rather than something that competes with the purchase of their game. It might even reduce the amount of people asking them for replacements. Still, I'm sure their lawyers would tell them not to explicitly give up any rights, which means if you ask them, they will probably say: "don't do it."

You might want to not explicitly write the names of the ships or use recognizable silhouettes. So, you'll have to think of some way to make the different ones identifiable.

I'm looking forward to seeing your ideas develop!

Quick update:

I've designed the test file to get an idea on pricing, unfortunately I may be stuck waiting on their support service waiting to figure out a layer error. However here's what I know so far

A medium size ship can fit on their largest sheet 46 times. Their largest sheet is $21. So far the cost per piece is $0.46!

Obviously, there are going to be other costs, I don't know how they charge for the actual service, but so far I'm optimistic that we will not break anywhere near $5 per token.  

5 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

Quick update:

I've designed the test file to get an idea on pricing, unfortunately I may be stuck waiting on their support service waiting to figure out a layer error. However here's what I know so far

A medium size ship can fit on their largest sheet 46 times. Their largest sheet is $21. So far the cost per piece is $0.46!

Obviously, there are going to be other costs, I don't know how they charge for the actual service, but so far I'm optimistic that we will not break anywhere near $5 per token.  

That seems like a very reasonable price to me. Hope this happens I'll grab a few for sure.

35 minutes ago, Darth Lupine said:

Regardless of my reservations because of tourney legality, this is starting to sound interesting.

Outside of World's and Nationals I doubt that it would ever be an issue. Nobody's ever complained about me using an Action Transport as a GR-75 or running TIE Hunters for Fel.

Just now, Megatronrex said:

Outside of World's and Nationals I doubt that it would ever be an issue. Nobody's ever complained about me using an Action Transport as a GR-75 or running TIE Hunters for Fel.

I've seen it.

In this instance though, it was someone demanding that an AFMK-I model be replacing with the FFG standard AFMK-II model... And the opponent did it because it was the final game and they wanted to start a leg up on their opponent, because they knew that opponent had travelled, and did nothave the standard model to replace with.

It was a very **** move.

But people are bastards when they feel its make-or-break. 

7 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

I've seen it.

In this instance though, it was someone demanding that an AFMK-I model be replacing with the FFG standard AFMK-II model... And the opponent did it because it was the final game and they wanted to start a leg up on their opponent, because they knew that opponent had travelled, and did nothave the standard model to replace with.

It was a very **** move.

But people are bastards when they feel its make-or-break. 

Wouldn't have phased me. I always carry an official model with me just in case.

Just now, Megatronrex said:

Wouldn't have phased me. I always carry an official model with me just in case.

Of course.

But the complaint may still be made.

Which is in counter to your anecdotal statement that no-one has complained.

Merely stating that, in my anecdotal records, I have seen complaints.

2 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

Of course.

But the complaint may still be made.

Which is in counter to your anecdotal statement that no-one has complained.

Merely stating that, in my anecdotal records, I have seen complaints.

Most definitely. Otherwise there would be no logic behind me bringing the official model to swap out for potential d***ish complaints.

Edited by Megatronrex