Sign in to follow this  
Kjeld

Assault on Dol Guldur Decks for Fellowship Event?

My advice: whatever deck you bring, make sure it does something to contribute towards putting progress on the quest. That doesn't mean that you have to bring a questing-focused deck, necessarily, but if there's only one deck at the table capable of holding its own during the quest phase you're not going to be able to keep up.

If you're playing a combat deck, bring Legolas, Blades of Gondolin, Arod, Eowyn, or Hands Upon the Bow. If you like to play a support deck, bring Location control, Gildor's Counsel, Secret Paths, or Radagast's Cunning. Basically, think of the quest phase as being everybody's responsibility. 

I wrote a blog post about this quest shortly after GenCon, so if you're looking for quest spoilers and some initial impressions of the quest, you might find it interesting:

https://darklingdoor.wordpress.com/2017/08/24/spoiler-alert-attack-on-dol-guldur/

I know the biggest issue we had was threat management.  Out of the three teams we were team 1 and had a perfect game from the start.  We were taking all of the enemies that came our way without any problems, no heroes got hurt, questing just fine, and everything was great.  That all changed in the last round when we drew multiple surges all at once and we just got hammered with threat.  I remember distinctly going from 37 to well over 50 all in that one turn and it happened to 2 of the other 3 people on our team too.  It was bad.  We had a pretty good blend of decks that meshed really well with each other too.  Considering there was zero planning ahead of time in terms of who was bringing what.  I had my all-purpose Rohan deck, my buddy had a ranger trap deck (proved to be absolutely clutch with some of the enemies that were coming out), one of the guys brought a dwarf deck that was great for tanking, and the 4th guy brought a great healing/lore deck.  It was a fun scenario for sure but man was it heartbreaking.   

31 minutes ago, Authraw said:

Nope, just within a single table. 

I think so, but we are having a discussion about it.

Did you played at Gen Con? Is there any place where it is directly specified? Because in the rules it talks about "stage" and it gets confusing as if it refers to stage 1, 2 and 3 of the quest

6 hours ago, Yepesnopes said:

Is there any place where it is directly specified? Because in the rules it talks about "stage" and it gets confusing as if it refers to stage 1, 2 and 3 of the quest

Assault on Dol Guldur

Even though all three stages are interconnected, each one counts as its own game. So a card ability at one stage cannot affect the game state at another stage, unless it specifically says it does. Because each stage is its own game, two players at different stages can use the same unique card. That means players only need to coordinate their heroes with the other players on their team, not the entire group.

It would have been a lot of complication, especially on a fellowship context (people meet a few minutes before playing). You still can build the deck with a unique rule for the group if you want to.

We have played the adventure i epic multiplayer (12 players) twice in two consequtives nights. We have had great fun, but we have been annihilated  by the encounter deck after 3 rounds in stage(s) 3.

Has anybody beaten the scenario in epic multiplayer?

We beat it with two of the three groups using Outlands.  The game took 8 rounds.  Two players were eliminated by threat and two heroes were defeated.

Edited by PachiLOTR