Sign in to follow this  
Nheko

Pre-made adventures

Most modules I know don’t care about the timeline. The few that do can probably be adjusted with minimal effort. The stats need to be reworked anyway, and compared to that amount of work changing or removing timeline-specific parts is negligible. 

Most, maybe all, of the official 1st edition modules can be found as .pdf on drivethrurpg.

edit: there were several 1st ed Winter Court sourcebooks. The Crane one was the second, if memory serves.

Edited by nameless ronin

With the mess going around Toshi Ranbo, great time to play Legacy of the forge. Also midnight's blood, code of Bushido, lesser of two evils and why not Twilight Honor. 

Edited by Nitenman

17 hours ago, Nitenman said:

With the mess going around Toshi Ranbo, great time to play Legacy of the forge. Also midnight's blood, code of Bushido, lesser of two evils and why not Twilight Honor. 

I like this, never had the chance to play those. I’ll see if can find those.

Another option was to play Topaz and then play Naishou Province, my Kitsu Shugenja will have a blast there trying to find his “ancestors”.

Since most likely will play an all Lion group maybe we can create a safe haven for the disbanded Akodo or even Toturi’s Army, IF FFG goes in that direction...

Edited by Nheko

Hey thanks for the tip! There is plenty of  things to do an explore over the Province that can consume enough time, maybe it will be our descendants who participate in the events of the Coup. :)

Edited by Nheko

If you haven't taken a look yet it looks like FFG has up all, or at least most, of the older edition books on Drive Thru. Here's 1st ed but the others are likely worth looking at as well. Not sure how much time line really effected canned adventures.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/6/Fantasy-Flight-Games/subcategory/36_5976/Legend-of-the-Five-Rings-1st-Edition

Naishou Province is freaking amazing. Nothing like a small sandbox isolated from the rest of Rokugan, more or less. Got to GM it for my group and they loved it (works great for a new Minor Clan setup) and can play a whole camping from there IMO. Would definitely run again, hands down. 

Max Lemaire and Robert Hobart did a good job writing it. Lots of good flavor in that book. 

"It's a secret" 

On 11/7/2017 at 8:21 AM, Nheko said:

I like this, never had the chance to play those. I’ll see if can find those.

Another option was to play Topaz and then play Naishou Province, my Kitsu Shugenja will have a blast there trying to find his “ancestors”.

Since most likely will play an all Lion group maybe we can create a safe haven for the disbanded Akodo or even Toturi’s Army, IF FFG goes in that direction...

As suggested, Legacy of the Forge is actually a great module for an All-Lion group simply because the PCs spend most of the module in and around a Lion army and can easily be worked in as Lion Wardens or other magistrates not directly subservient to the military commanders.  However, the ending will almost inevitably result in a TPK for an All-Lion party without some alteration. The upside of this means there can be lots of high drama in the final battle, but it will take some massaging by the GM to create a situation where any honorable Lion PCs don't either go out in a blaze of glory, or seppuku. When I plotted out an All-Lion campaign, I used it as the basis for the final story in the arc.

Though it is important to note (if you care about timelines) that the battle at Toshi Ranbo from Legacy of the Forge is not the same one that the current FFG timeline depicted in the Lion into-story. Arasou's death at Toshi Ranbo occurs three years before the events of Legacy of the Forge in the original timeline.  There were six battles (with the castle changing hands 4 times) at Toshi Ranbo in an 8-year stretch before and after the Scorpion Coup.  The one in LotF happens just before the Coup.

Legacy sounds interesting but knowing my friends, they wouldn’t be thrilled if a TPK is pre planned, if it happens by bad rolls or bad calls is ok but not if their deaths are pre arranged. So some modifications will be needed.

It's not pre-planned, it's just that the module wasn't originally written with an All-Lion party in mind, but the nature of the ending puts Lion characters in a pretty tight bind. Without trying to spoil it, a party of all-Lion characters, if people are playing their Lion characters super-faithful to Bushido, they're all going to be in that bind.  The module itself is written for a group of multi-clan Magistrates.  Honestly though, it's an even more difficult module to play with any Crane PCs, lol.  A lot of those early L5R modules told cool stories, but didn't work for all groups or all clans since the plot could inevitably bring the PCs into conflict with their own clan. Which sometimes can work, but like in LotF, would literally mean fighting other Crane in open battle, or standing by and doing nothing while your buddies fought the Crane, then everybody shrugging and moving on to the next scene like there weren't a few dozen of your dead clanmates on ground over there.  Then there were just flat-out silly ones like Silence Within Sound where the Scorpion were cartoon bad guys with a ridiculous Scooby Doo subplot where Scorpion Actors replaced a Lion Daimyo, his entire honor guard, and seemingly half the other NPCs in the module at some point or another and nobody noticed Matsu Bob and Akodo Joe were acting a little funny. 

I rewrote the ending of LotF so it wouldn't be an automatic TPK, though it was also intended to be the end of the arc for that campaign and those characters, so it didn't matter as much who lived or died.  The players were also less concerned about character death so long as they had a chance to die properly.