Sign in to follow this  
Molinext

Clan Role Choice

First of all, congratulations to all those who made choices for Clan Roles for making top in clan. The Scorpion player stated in a post that you had reasons for Seeker of Void. Would you elaborate those reasons please. I had only a few reasons to be disappointed in not getting to use Backhanded Complement. The art, the name and the fluff text are so well tied together.

4 hours ago, Molinext said:

First of all, congratulations to all those who made choices for Clan Roles for making top in clan. The Scorpion player stated in a post that you had reasons for Seeker of Void. Would you elaborate those reasons please. I had only a few reasons to be disappointed in not getting to use Backhanded Complement. The art, the name and the fluff text are so well tied together.

Do we really need another one of these?

I don't know all the details, all I know is this was posted by a guy on reddit and seems to answer your question. This isn't my post, it was made by "evilgm" on the l5r subreddit:

There are a lot of posts going around about how Mark Armitage, the man who chose the Scorpion Role at both Gencon and Worlds, specifically chose Seeker of Void to screw over the Scorpion by denying them Backhanded Compliment. This is absolutely not the case- Mark has made several comments about it in various Facebook groups, and his mostly flavour one referring to that motive is the only one people have paid attention to.

Mark finished Top of Clan on the Friday of Gencon, earning the right to choose the Role we would play until Worlds. As he was playing a deck I built, he allowed me to make the choice. When choosing the Role at Gencon Seeker of Void was the Role we intended for Scorpion to get at Worlds. We thus chose Seeker of Air, so that Void would be available, but Air was still good enough that we were confident that we would be in a position to choose it at Worlds. Obviously Backhanded Compliment was a card that made Keeper worth considering, but overall Mark and I (and others) still felt that Seeker of Void was the right call.

Brad Emon really didn't want Scorpion to get Backhanded Compliment, as he felt it might damage the game. Thus he entered Worlds as Scorpion, giving up his position as Dragon Hatamoto to do so. Mark agreed that Brad's concerns were valid.

When it became clear that Mark would once again be the person making the call for Scorpion, he consulted several people, the majority of whom were happy to stick with Seeker of Void, which we legitimately believe is the correct choice for Scorpion going forward. There is no doubt that BHC is a strong card, but Seeker enables consistent options that no single Conflict card can do.

TLDR; Seeker of Void was not chosen to screw over the Scorpion or save the game. It was chosen because it was the best option.

EDIT: This might actually be more of what you are looking for, by the same author: http://dojooflies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=23959#p23959

Edited by shivore

Shivore: Thank You very much for the link. My Google Fu was severely lacking. 

"EDIT: This might actually be more of what you are looking for, by the same author: http://dojooflies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=23959#p23959"

Hinomura: Somewhere, not sure where, I got the gist that you had made you choice before you got there and everything else just added to it. Thank You for explaining the reasons, and not assuming I was being combative.