Sign in to follow this  
theaficionado

The Scorpion Tanker and Backhanded Compliment

1 minute ago, SolidusPrime said:

Or we can, you know, just keep playing without the rule like we have been. It's much easier to adjust for Worlds once a year than it is to play with a rule that most of our players down voted.

Honestly if you have enough players who agree to that the sounds like a great plan! You get to be happy and I'm sure as **** not going to barge into your LGS or home and demand you play with the official roles.

Man the amount of condescension coming from people over criticism of the seeker/keeper system is amazing. I think it's a horrifically bad decision and it is making me rethink the game. I don't care much about the story decisions, but down the line you may really like a particular keeper or seeker deck that you play with your clan, and then that can be taken away from you because of the decision of someone else. Because the roles absolutely change how you can play your decks. Players should be allowed to choose whether they are keeper/seeker and they should give the worlds decision some other choice.

3 minutes ago, SideshowLucifer said:

I disagree. Those changing rolls are great for variation in the game.

Although, I wouldn't be opposed to the roles being a vote with other decisions made by winners such as personality positions, character deaths, etc.

Doesn't it kind of only offer the illusion of variety though? We'll always have the same pool of cards available, but only access to a certain portion of it at any given time. Meta will become meta whether you have pool A available, or Pool B. It will just be "seasonal" meta now. I feel like any time you have access to less cards, there will always be less variation.

You can guess certain things now, based on the clan you are pairing up against. I'm fighting a Scorpion? He'll probably have Shameful Display, and Massing at Twilight (or w/e the new one is :P ), and he can splash X amount. Not that that's INCREDIBLY revealing, but still. It's less variation than if you sat down and had no idea what flavor he'd be.

I like your vote idea. And I do like the "living" aspect of the game. I think the current form would be a little easier to stomach overall if it wasn't for an entire year.

5 minutes ago, SideshowLucifer said:

I'm starting to when the new cards come out, but until then, I never used the rules on them anyways.

So because you don't play the game correctly everyone else should follow your example and ignore that there's an inherent problem with this stupid seeker/keeper rule. If you thinks its so arbitrary why bother defending it? 

Once again can someone please give reason for keeping it besides "Shut up and take it" or "shut up and quit" 

1 minute ago, Reins Vengard said:

So because you don't play the game correctly everyone else should follow your example and ignore that there's an inherent problem with this stupid seeker/keeper rule. If you thinks its so arbitrary why bother defending it? 

Once again can someone please give reason for keeping it besides "Shut up and take it" or "shut up and quit" 

It provides a significant incentive for players to compete at the highest levels. All of this complaining just means that FFG successfully made their quite lucrative World Championship a big deal for people.

1 minute ago, Reins Vengard said:

You can complain all you like. So it's pretty much accept it, or don't are the choices. Many reasons have been given, so why repeat them when it's obvious your mind is set and reasoning with you about it is a waste of time?

3 minutes ago, Martino said:

It provides a significant incentive for players to compete at the highest levels. All of this complaining just means that FFG successfully made their quite lucrative World Championship a big deal for people.

No it doesn't. Expect the exact people who went to this worlds to be the same who go to the next. My argument is an entire playerbase shouldn't be beholden to 7 out of the 300 people who go to this thing. This does;t incentive people to play better it disincentives people to not play the game at all.

Just now, Reins Vengard said:

No it doesn't. Expect the exact people who went to this worlds to be the same who go to the next. My argument is an entire playerbase shouldn't be beholden to 7 out of the 300 people who go to this thing. This does;t incentive people to play better it disincentives people to not play the game at all.

Sure it should, that is part of the game that sets it apart from every other game. Winning actually matters and the choices you make have consequences.

3 minutes ago, Reins Vengard said:

Ya, I mean, at the end of the day, it's a card game. It might piss someone off that he can't use his deck in a tourney, but I don't think it's going to motivate the next Ash Ketchem to summer job his way to Worlds. The same crowds that always show up will continue to show up.

Edited by SolidusPrime

Then quit playing. FFG has a built in customer base who they know will play under these conditions until the day the game ends. I'm sure they expect a ton of the people who came from their other games to move on to the next thing too. No one is forcing you to play the only game that uses this system.

Just now, TheItsyBitsySpider said:

Sure it should, that is part of the game that sets it apart from every other game. Winning actually matters and the choices you make have consequences.

Mechanics should be what sets a game apart not the paltry trinkets a person gets for winning it.  By your logic the reason hockey and football are so great is one wins a cup another wins a trophy.

Just now, Reins Vengard said:

Mechanics should be what sets a game apart not the paltry trinkets a person gets for winning it.  By your logic the reason hockey and football are so great is one wins a cup another wins a trophy.

What your missing is that these decisions are what made L5R the game it was. It was the only game that had the choices and consequences for competing.

This is the draw for a huge portion of the ccg player base. Without that, you basicly have GoT with samurai. 

2 minutes ago, Reins Vengard said:

Mechanics should be what sets a game apart

Yes... and this is a mechanic in the game.

"Oh no, I cant use these 12-15 cards out of roughly 300 for one year because someone made a choice, such sorrow, such loss..."

People say this forgetting that the game already limits more then half the card pool just by choosing a clan. Its a variation and changing deck restriction, suck it up lol.

3 minutes ago, Martino said:

Then quit playing. FFG has a built in customer base who they know will play under these conditions until the day the game ends. I'm sure they expect a ton of the people who came from their other games to move on to the next thing too. No one is forcing you to play the only game that uses this system.

Nah, we'll just keep playing without the rule lol

2 minutes ago, SideshowLucifer said:

I'm still utterly confused how these role decisions impact someone who has no intention of playing in the competitive scene anyways.

We do have an interest in competitive though. I plan to play it myself, as well as some of the other players around here. That doesn't mean we have to use it in the games we host.  It doesn't mean we have to agree with the rule or like it. I'm a bit surprised by the hostility of a few of the members here that act as though we have insulted their personal honor by not liking this rule and voicing our opinions about it.