rafcpl6868

Fearlessness, Selflessness, and Discipline

31 posts in this topic

Discipline

ept: empire only 

0pts

If you would receive a stress token from any effect on an opponent's upgrades or pilot ability discard that stress token instead of you are at range 1-2 of another friendly ship.

I think the empire needs some more faction specifics since it has almost none compared to the other two factions. This is an imperial counterpart to selflessness and fearlessness as the title suggests.

Edited by rafcpl6868
ViscerothSWG likes this

Love the concept,

But I reckon you could quite happily streamline it... and also it might be a bit much for 0 points.

I would go with allowing you to discard any stress token you receive, as long as you have a friendly within range 1.

And I think it's 1 point at least, probably 2 points 

29 minutes ago, Hawkstrike said:

There's already an Imperial counterpart to Selflessness and Fearlessness: Ruthlessness.

Thats fine except it is 3 points meaning that it is only worth taking on decimators and tieD's. Fearlessness and Selflessness are always worth their points and serve a specific play style that reflects the factions' strengths. Ruthlessness is almost never worth its points and does not reflect its faction at all.

2 hours ago, rafcpl6868 said:

Thats fine except it is 3 points meaning that it is only worth taking on decimators and tieD's. Fearlessness and Selflessness are always worth their points and serve a specific play style that reflects the factions' strengths. Ruthlessness is almost never worth its points and does not reflect its faction at all.

Fearlessness is kinda not in the same league as Selflessness?

9 hours ago, rafcpl6868 said:

Ruthlessness is almost never worth its points and does not reflect its faction at all.

If you are going strict competitive 100/6 and compare to some over the top OP combos it is not as strong as those, cause it doesn't trigger a dozen times or throwes 6 dice. But a free damage at 3 pts is pretty good.

Then I wonder what kind if Star Wars you have read or seen? Firing with the Deathstar on Alderaan, Jedda, Scarif killed of in the 10000s of the own troops. Or Tarkin shooting down the coms tower in Rebels. Throwing in 1000s of expendable pilots in paperthin TIE l/ns. 

Or the constant biggering amongst imperials themselves, and actively encouraging ruthless competition at all cost among the imperial commanders. Grab every opportunity of advancement, even if it is detrimental to fellow imperials.

BVRCH likes this

On 11/5/2017 at 8:56 AM, rafcpl6868 said:

Ruthlessness is the most 'imperial' card the imperials have in this game when it comes to thematics.

I've already seen this card pop up in lists quite a few times in the last few weeks. Its going to be very much worth its cost on those shiny new gunboats.

Cerve likes this

Yah, Ruthlessness is the Imp version, but of the three, only Selflessness is properly top-tier.  Fearlessness is next best, but it's not that good except in niche circumstances, primarily on Bossk.

14 hours ago, Managarmr said:

If you are going strict competitive 100/6 and compare to some over the top OP combos it is not as strong as those, cause it doesn't trigger a dozen times or throwes 6 dice. But a free damage at 3 pts is pretty good.

Then I wonder what kind if Star Wars you have read or seen? Firing with the Deathstar on Alderaan, Jedda, Scarif killed of in the 10000s of the own troops. Or Tarkin shooting down the coms tower in Rebels. Throwing in 1000s of expendable pilots in paperthin TIE l/ns. 

Or the constant biggering amongst imperials themselves, and actively encouraging ruthless competition at all cost among the imperial commanders. Grab every opportunity of advancement, even if it is detrimental to fellow imperials.

All acts of ruthlessness are done on pretty large scales. The imperial navy is thematically based thematically in throwing generics at a wal until it breaks the wall or itself. The imperials infighting is almost always among the highest ranking officers which is for armada not x wing. Ruthlessness is a great armada card and a bad card for x wing.

31 minutes ago, rafcpl6868 said:

All acts of ruthlessness are done on pretty large scales. The imperial navy is thematically based thematically in throwing generics at a wal until it breaks the wall or itself. The imperials infighting is almost always among the highest ranking officers which is for armada not x wing. Ruthlessness is a great armada card and a bad card for x wing.

I feel like the idea isn’t that you’re specifically targeting your buddies, just that sometimes they kinda get in your way :P 

At any rate, it makes a helluva lot more sense than Fearlessness. Why would a faction of backstabbing, profit-driven mercenaries be fearless, while two armies in a fight for their very way of life wouldn’t be?

BVRCH and kris40k like this

On 11/4/2017 at 6:26 PM, rafcpl6868 said:

I'll give you the points, but doesn't reflect it's faction? Did you watch the same edition of Empire Strikes Back that I did?

Asteroids do not concern me, Captain ...

On Saturday, November 04, 2017 at 5:49 PM, rafcpl6868 said:

Discipline

ept: empire only

0pts

If you would receive a stress token from any effect on an opponent's upgrades or pilot ability discard that stress token instead of you are at range 1-2 of another friendly ship.

I think the empire needs some more faction specifics since it has almost none compared to the other two factions. This is an imperial counterpart to selflessness and fearlessness as the title suggests.

0 point EPT that makes you completely immune to offensive stress...
Noice Anime GIF - Noice Anime Sarcastic GIFs

Nailed it.

Imperial Indoctrination:

Imperial Only

EPT 1 point Limited

When a Friendly ship at range 1 is damaged you become immune to stress till your next combat phase.

taking the above comment into consideration 

1 hour ago, Raltus said:

taking the above comment into consideration

SMH

Supremely poorly worded, but i assume you intend on a much more abusable version which works always when any given ship is shot damaged, as any ship is friendly and within range one of itself. What does immune to stress mean?

The only thing worse than FFG writing cards seems to be when the community (who complain endlessly) writes cards. Funny, that.

1 hour ago, E Chu Ta said:

SMH

Supremely poorly worded, but i assume you intend on a much more abusable version which works always when any given ship is shot damaged, as any ship is friendly and within range one of itself. What does immune to stress mean?

The only thing worse than FFG writing cards seems to be when the community (who complain endlessly) writes cards. Funny, that.

Who's EPT are you talking about?  I am going to assume you are targeting both.    The thought behind mine is that you can avoid stress similar to the Tech upgrade Pattern Analyzer but it is only for a turn then you are affected the same.  Thus allowing someone an Imp ship who was shot down or damaged to push a bit harder on the next turn.

1 minute ago, Raltus said:

Who's EPT are you talking about?  I am going to assume you are targeting both.    The thought behind mine is that you can avoid stress similar to the Tech upgrade Pattern Analyzer but it is only for a turn then you are affected the same.  Thus allowing someone an Imp ship who was shot down or damaged to push a bit harder on the next turn.

Yours. That's why I quoted you. Read Pattern Analyzer: notice how it's kind of chunky and awkward to read? Thats because it has to be, because this game has a vocabulary and grammar that functionally make the rules their own specific sub-language. There's a whole lot wrong with your proposed EPT because it is not written in the language of the game, so where as you may think it's obvious what it's meant to do, what you wrote means:

3 hours ago, Raltus said:

When a Friendly ship at range 1 is damaged you become immune to stress till your next combat phase.

Friendly ship at range 1: Did you want this to encourage swarm or formation flying? It doesnt. As any ship is friendly to itself, and at range 1 of itself, whenever the EPT holder OR any squadmate at range 1 takes a damage it becomes "immune to stress" until the next combat phase. Does "immune to stress" mean you take no stress tokens? Sounds pretty incredible to do whatever you want, reds followed by actions followed by Experimental Interface followed by whatever else you wanna do to stack stress-that-you-don't-actually-take, all for the cost of you (which in the language of the game is specifically the ship that the upgrade in question is on, FFG dungoofs this one a lot) taking 1 damage or watching a friend at range 1 take 1 damage. Until the next combat phase. So, y'know, the entire portion of a turn where you're moving and shaking. BUT WAIT: you're also stuffing it right into Stresshogs/Flechette Torpedoes/ Damage-then-stress effects. Even if it stacked the stress tokend like so much cordwood, you would never be punished for them if you keep taking damage, one at a time. Which you could figure out a way to do yourself.

For one point.

See where I'm coming from here?

Sadly the imperial niche of bringing more ships to play isn't really something that happened aside from the tie swarm, something that the design team admittedly doesn't care about. 

Rebels and scum can also field swarms, and ships of the same class are not cheap enough to field even 1 additional ship. 

Our ships have less slots and that's it. 

31 minutes ago, clanofwolves said:

Ruthlessness on a Gunner/Rebel Captive Yorr is quite fun 😉

Also quite illegal, since Yorr doesn't have an EPT.

Count me among those boggled by the idea that Ruthlessness isn't a thematic EPT for Imps. Unleashing a battery of firepower to obliterate the target and any unlucky saps even close to them? If they're not strong enough to get out of the way, they don't deserve to live.

2 hours ago, PhantomFO said:

Also quite illegal, since Yorr doesn't have an EPT.

Count me among those boggled by the idea that Ruthlessness isn't a thematic EPT for Imps. Unleashing a battery of firepower to obliterate the target and any unlucky saps even close to them? If they're not strong enough to get out of the way, they don't deserve to live.

Haha, you are correct sir, and ignorant of our House Epic rules which grant EPTs to all named Wave 1-3 ships. Anyway, it’s a great EPT for Epic!