Virablatira

Focus, evade and target. How many times in a game?

11 posts in this topic

Hi

I'm a little unsure about how many times you can use the actions focus, evade and target during a whole game. When I read rules and watch guides on the Internet I sometimes get the impression that you can only use one focus, evade or target action during a whole game. Which means you have to save it for a good time. On the other hand this sound little strange (unrealistic) that a pilot can only focus or evade one single time. But I have also read that you can use them multiple times during a game but to me that also sound like you would use them on every round on all the ships you can as they are sort of "unlimited".

Thanks a lot in advance for any help clearing this up for me.

Cheers

A given pilot can only take a given action (like Focus, Evade, or Acquire a Target Lock) once per game round. There is no restriction on taking these actions more than once in a game.

Generally things that are meant to be done only once in a game will involve discarding something, so you know it's gone. (The newly errata'd Biggs is an exception.)

Edited by digitalbusker
formatting
ObiWonka likes this

5 hours ago, Virablatira said:

Hi

I'm a little unsure about how many times you can use the actions focus, evade and target during a whole game. When I read rules and watch guides on the Internet I sometimes get the impression that you can only use one focus, evade or target action during a whole game. Which means you have to save it for a good time. On the other hand this sound little strange (unrealistic) that a pilot can only focus or evade one single time. But I have also read that you can use them multiple times during a game but to me that also sound like you would use them on every round on all the ships you can as they are sort of "unlimited".

Thanks a lot in advance for any help clearing this up for me.

Cheers

Every turn, after performing a maneuver, each pilot gets the opportunity to take one action (unless some effect like having a stress token or overlapping another ship causes him to lose his action).  Taking the Focus action, for example, gives the pilot one Focus token.  That token, then, may be used later in the round to modify defense or attack dice, at which point the token is discarded.  (The token is also discarded at the end of the round if unused.) 

So to be clear, there is a difference between taking a <whichever> action, and using a <whichever> token.

I hope this helps and doesn't just muddy the issue even more.

It's also worth noting that unless something is specifically noted to be an action, you can do it as many times as you have opportunities to.

So, if something says to 'acquire a target lock' (such as Fire Control System) you can do that as many times as you can get it to trigger, whereas if it said 'perform a Target Lock action' you could only do it once in any given round, even if you could get it to trigger multiple times.

JJ48 likes this

Hi

Thank you all for you help and clearing this up. If I have understood things correct I can take and use these actions more than once in a full game and can do this in every new game round.

But I have a follow up question to this. Doesn't this make everyone taking one action for every ship all the time in every round? For example I would put an Focus or Evade token on my ships in every game round just in case some ship has the ability to shot at me.

Thanks again.

Yep! You basically pick the action you feel will work best for you each round. Target Locks stick around, unlike the others.

So for example, if you end up facing away from the enemy, probably bets to take a focus or evade to help you defend. If you have no one shooting at you but have a ship in your arc, focus or lock.

And then boosts and barrel rolls help you move a little after moving in order to get better range or arc.

Yes, every ship will usually take an action every round. You can skip in the early rounds if you know shooting isn't going to start yet, but most of us go ahead and do it anyway just to keep in the habit.

Also, keep in mind the distinction between the action that grants the token and the token itself. There are lots of situations where you can't take an action (stress is the most common) but if you already have a token you can usually spend it, even if you can't take actions.

7 hours ago, InterceptorMad said:

And then boosts and barrel rolls help you move a little after moving in order to get better range or arc.

Or dodge out of someone else's range or arc. :)