Sign in to follow this  
Pervertious

Sounds good, doesn't work

I was looking through the Forum and noticed a fair amount of dose this work or dose that work and I thought what has been the worst list plan we thought would work but just didn't. So I want to know what has all your amazingly planned lists that just failed or just did not work or just a part of your list you thought was BRILLIANT and a spark of genius that turned out to be terrible.

My example of this was thinking Phantoms would be Amazing with Sloane with the chance to get locks, Crit rerolls or the double damage being a nice and cool idea and then when I played it, it failed. It failed hard. 

so what has your recent great list plan that Just did not work? 

Edited by Pervertious

21 minutes ago, Pervertious said:

when I played it, it failed. It failed hard. 

I've seen it smash hard, too...  Admonition went from there to gone in a Quasar activation...

90% of my lists have gone that way, though...  That's my win record, anyway.

Nose Punch is an absolutely glorious exception.

Edited by Drasnighta

If we can count lists we're not convinced are failures in principle and have just failed in practice, I still hold great faith in Scharnhorst and Gneisenau, a dual Liberty list that I've never gotten the correct support for when I list build. Also doesn't help as an Imp Madine is foreign to me, so last time I flew it I'd estimate at least half of the trouble was a skill level and comfort with Crix I just didn't have.

15 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

I've seen it smash hard, too...  Admonition went from there to gone in a Quasar activation...

90% of my lists have gone that way, though...  That's my win record, anyway.

Nose Punch is an absolutely glorious exception.

I think I just played it badly to be fair, I am still getting used to her as a Admiral as im more used to Screed and spamming black dice with Gladiators as my go to play style and now im trying to fan out into other play styles and Admirals.

4 hours ago, Coldhands said:

You might want to change the topics title to 'Sounds good, doesnt work'.

Our latest failure was an Isd2-isd1-demo build against dodonnas aces and cracken. Might work against others though.

Have done, Thanks for that Improved Topic Title.

I cannot seam to make the any ISD work at all in my list plans, it looks great on paper and in my head im like this is gonna work and its gonna be sweet, on the table on the other hand its plods around and dose nothing. Mind you im not sure if this is my bad gaming or just not my play style, only time will tell lol  

Ketsu Onyo. I can make every other Rebel ace useful except for her. I have not (in 5-6 Games or so) found a use for her. Which sucks, because her text seems awesome. 

Sloane. As much as people like her, I always feel like a different Admiral would have been better or more useful after each game I use her. The one time I got her text to trigger hard, all I did was strip both defense tokens off of a fresh Gozanti. 

1 hour ago, Church14 said:

Ketsu Onyo. I can make every other Rebel ace useful except for her. I have not (in 5-6 Games or so) found a use for her. Which sucks, because her text seems awesome. 

Sloane. As much as people like her, I always feel like a different Admiral would have been better or more useful after each game I use her. The one time I got her text to trigger hard, all I did was strip both defense tokens off of a fresh Gozanti. 

A well placed Ketsu can absolutely neuter Maarek Stele (or most of a squadron wing for that matter). She really does require practice to use well.

I have very mixed feelings about Sloane. Either she shreds your opponent or her ability does nothing and makes you wish you had JJ or Motti.

1 hour ago, Church14 said:

Agreed, Ketsu is very situational.  I had to use her in one of my Perdant Vassal tournament matches and she was actually a little helpful.  She was able to keep a Firespray from jumping off an Asteroid and engaging my ship.  Did it change my feeling on her much, not really.  She does counter Intel which I guess is useful as well as the rock jumping I experienced but again way to situational.  That said she is a Rebel Scatter ace and there are not many of those, just not worth the points unless I know exactly what list I'm facing before hand and that's not gonna happen very often.

Edited by Thrindal

10 minutes ago, Megatronrex said:

A well placed Ketsu can absolutely neuter Maarek Stele (or most of a squadron wing for that matter). She really does require practice to use well.

I have very mixed feelings about Sloane. Either she shreds your opponent or her ability does nothing and makes you wish you had JJ or Motti.

I don’t play Imperials often, so I have only played a few Sloane matches as her. I have not put in the time to really unpack her ability. That is the real root of the problem

Edited by Church14

23 minutes ago, Thrindal said:

She does counter Intel.  

I never realised this. 22pts to make enemy intel ineffective is incredible. She is a scatter ace too. I suspect its possible to do amazing things with Keytsu Tucho and Shara. (Sloane aside) 

I tried hot-dropping five VT Decimators (Rapid Launch Bays + Flight Commander out of an ISD-I with Expanded Hangars) on to something thinking the three die battery would utterly crush whatever I dropped on. All five struggled to kill a Nebulon-B through the side arc.

For the three dice and rogue they get, VTs lack a couple of things to make them as terrifying as we thought they'd be: No blue dice against fighters for accuracy (so aces get by scott free), and no Bomber (so two faces of the three do no damage, Sloane can't help VTs because they're rogue, no BCC bonus).

Edited by Norsehound

16 hours ago, Pervertious said:

I was looking through the Forum and noticed a fair amount of dose this work or dose that work and I thought what has been the worst list plan we thought would work but just didn't. So I want to know what has all your amazingly planned lists that just failed or just did not work or just a part of your list you thought was BRILLIANT and a spark of genius that turned out to be terrible.

My example of this was thinking Phantoms would be Amazing with Sloane with the chance to get locks, Crit rerolls or the double damage being a nice and cool idea and then when I played it, it failed. It failed hard. 

so what has your recent great list plan that Just did not work? 

The hard and difficult thing about this is that sometimes, something needs to be played repeatedly in order to properly start playing it to its full potential.  Saying that something doesn't work well from one game doesn't account from bad dice, bad setup, etc. 

I recall when I played the final match of Massing at Sullust.  Because nobody knew how to equip or deploy the new ships, and because we were going from a 300 point tournament to a 400 point showcase game, the relative strengths of the ISD were very apparent but the tricks to getting the best out of the MC80 and MC30 were less obvious.  So after a few rounds, the Rebel player had suffered severe losses without much to show for it.  Now, MC30s are among the best individual ships in the game and double MC80 lists are at the top of major tournaments.

6 hours ago, thecactusman17 said:

The hard and difficult thing about this is that sometimes, something needs to be played repeatedly in order to properly start playing it to its full potential.  Saying that something doesn't work well from one game doesn't account from bad dice, bad setup, etc. 

I recall when I played the final match of Massing at Sullust.  Because nobody knew how to equip or deploy the new ships, and because we were going from a 300 point tournament to a 400 point showcase game, the relative strengths of the ISD were very apparent but the tricks to getting the best out of the MC80 and MC30 were less obvious.  So after a few rounds, the Rebel player had suffered severe losses without much to show for it.  Now, MC30s are among the best individual ships in the game and double MC80 lists are at the top of major tournaments.

The MC30C is a nasty little ship, I struggle to deal with them most the time just because they have a mix of speed, shielding and fire power, as a result of this iv ended up having a games where my focus becomes killing it before it can get a chance to destroy me. 

2 hours ago, mhd said:

The original "should work, doesn't" is the overload pulse avenger combo. Or more generally, overload pulse and anything!

I feel the Problem with overload pulse is that it becomes the soul purpose of that ship at that point, Like putting it on a Vic is kinda of a waste so you end up putting it on a raider but its still a costly ship for that job. I feel the Rebels may get better use out of it in all honesty with things like the CR90. 

On 03/11/2017 at 7:45 AM, Belisarius09 said:

I tried a "Long Range" build.  two VSD2's w/ disp caps, one quasar 2, and one arquitens.  Put out a good amount of damage, but lacked finishing power or the ability to chase down targets. 

Did you try adding intel officers? You really need to get those evades discarded.

20 hours ago, mhd said:

The original "should work, doesn't" is the overload pulse avenger combo. Or more generally, overload pulse and anything!

Overload Pulse/Avenger worked fine, it just didn't work in the way people wanted it to work because order of operations and double-arcing a target is apparently too hard for some people.

I flew an Ackbar MC 80 Assault cruiser between an Imp II and Demo. I one shorted the Demo and would have gotten the Imperial had I taken a blue die instead of a black from Defiance. Then it colored head on with a Vic 1. Needless to say, it didn't last very long!