cookluke5150

How many people will leave Armada for Legion?

I will definitly not quit Armada. (I know it's dead, but even so...)

I really would love to play Legion. I'm so curious how it feels! I sorted out, that I could get the Box and every Expansion for 240€ all together. That's not too bad! But I began to paint all my ships and squadrons for Armada and there are about 100 Squadron minis and half my Imperial Ships waiting. (Painting TIEs drives me crazy!) Too new ships coming next year.

I really don't know when to build and paint so much other stuff. (Did you notice: when you are young and have time, you don't have the money to buy the toys you want. Then you become adult, with the money you need, but no more time to play with them...)

So I would prefer if there would be a friend buying and painting the Legion-stuff. Then I could concentrate on rolling the dice!

On 3/11/2017 at 1:32 AM, GiledPallaeon said:

I wouldn't expect many initial outright defections. Once Legion gets going it may start to pick off odds and ends but given Armada's sizably divergent system and preconditions, there won't be many who jump ship from one to the other. We talk about combined arms on here to measure ship-squadron synergies, but Legion is true combined arms at somewhere near the reinforced company/light battalion size scale, and that doesn't have a lot of cross adherents in Armada. Many of us trust FFG enough and enjoy the SW IP enough I expect a fair number of cross pollination but outright defection should be rare.

Legion looks great with painted figures, but I've just reached a point in my life that I prefer as much as possible to be prepainted. Legion looks more like a re-inforced platoon  size game, with the odd 50 individual figures.

If you have to go Company or god forbid Batallion size game, you are looking at 150 or 450 individual figures, which would make the game very longer to play.

Edited by Kiwi Rat

Legion is wholly unlike Armada in regards to gameplay, so it'll never replace that one. 

If Legion was the same scale as Imperial Assault, I'd likely buy one of everything just to get the new figures, but it's not, so I'll not even bother.  Imperial Assault is far more my speed and structure in regards to a ground tactics game, and the upcoming app would make it even better if it's like its Descent cousin.  

The Warhammer or Warmachine style of miniature game is just not appealing to me.  I like structured movement, like the movement tool in Armada, the templates for X-Wing, and the grid based system in Imperial Assault.  

The armada community is much more friendly to noobs.  The legion thread seems to have a lot of war gaming snobs that are just kind of unfriendly. When I was a new player in armada, I joined this community and have been treated pretty good and found plenty of interesting conversations and topics. 

If you dare state that you would prefer painted miniatures or want to buy terrain over in the legion forum, heads roll.  

3 hours ago, ninclouse2000 said:

The armada community is much more friendly to noobs.  The legion thread seems to have a lot of war gaming snobs that are just kind of unfriendly. When I was a new player in armada, I joined this community and have been treated pretty good and found plenty of interesting conversations and topics. 

If you dare state that you would prefer painted miniatures or want to buy terrain over in the legion forum, heads roll.  

Ooo... You don't say?

tenor.gif

8 hours ago, ninclouse2000 said:

You have a point. But if we dilute the legion community with armada players then it will get better right?

8 hours ago, ninclouse2000 said:

It is definitely more hostile over there, but I think a lot of that is upset IA players trolling the fledging community. It's not like we're saints over here though. We sporadically erupt in tantrums, usually around major tournaments and the latter end of waves as we wait for product news (like right now).

45 minutes ago, Truthiness said:

It is definitely more hostile over there, but I think a lot of that is upset IA players trolling the fledging community. It's not like we're saints over here though. We sporadically erupt in tantrums, usually around major tournaments and the latter end of waves as we wait for product news (like right now).

Lol yea I am more irritable right now over the long wait for the new stuff.  

11 hours ago, ninclouse2000 said:

As I recall you definitely caught an unnecessary degree of flak over there for simply saying that you thought the AT-ST would be cheaper.

3 minutes ago, Megatronrex said:

As I recall you definitely caught an unnecessary degree of flak over there for simply saying that you thought the AT-ST would be cheaper.

Being in the legion forum is like being next to a ship with Flechette torpedoes. You get flakked to **** and back

16 minutes ago, Megatronrex said:

Lol yea they were pretty mad at me for that.  The at st just doesn’t seem worth it when our beautiful ssd is the same cost.  The ssd looks sooooo much better and it’s painted.  

1 minute ago, ninclouse2000 said:

Lol yea they were pretty mad at me for that.  The at st just doesn’t seem worth it when our beautiful ssd is the same cost.  The ssd looks sooooo much better and it’s painted.  

I've come around on the AT-ST now that I've seen more pics and think it's at least somewhat reasonable. I assume you mean ISD and not SSD if/when we get an SSD I expect it to be expensive.

4 minutes ago, Megatronrex said:

I've come around on the AT-ST now that I've seen more pics and think it's at least somewhat reasonable. I assume you mean ISD and not SSD if/when we get an SSD I expect it to be expensive.

Oops yes I mean ISD.  Hahaha.  

Ive never painted and that is one of the things that seems 1. Intimidating and

2. Very time consuming.

The at st is closer to $40 on miniature market at least so I could always buy it there if I decide to play legion.

Edited by ninclouse2000
Typo

8 minutes ago, ninclouse2000 said:

2. Very time consuming.

The at st is closer to $40 on miniature market at least so I could always buy it there if I decide to play legion.

I highly recommend trying your hand at painting. Before Armada I had never painted anything and I was certainly intimidated. Now I love doing it and it's a big part of the hobby for me. I feel you on the time consuming side though. I paint very slow and some projects have taken me forever.

1 hour ago, ninclouse2000 said:

2. Very time consuming.

You'll find painting vehicles that are 1 solid color (i.e. AT-ST) is super easy and looks great once you learn how to "dry brush".

I always found its the infantry that takes the longest.  So many small details to get right.

On 11/3/2017 at 0:45 AM, Gallanteer said:

After playing 40k since the Rogue Trader days (its original name) I'm done with painting minis and huge army games. IA campaign mode is more interesting to me these days. Plus Armada (and XW which I'm taking a break from at the mo).

If they bring an Epic scale with prepainted minis as a ground based game with herds of AT-ATs etc then I might be interested.

I wanted a SW equivalent of 40k 20 years ago. I'm done with killing my heals stood at a table for 4 or 5 hours.

To me I think IA combines more with X-wing in which I am starting to wish FFG will make an official HotAC type scenario but given since the vomit inducing 100 point competitive standard is dictating every aspect of that game it is unlikely any resources would be redirected to that game for anything else.

On 11/6/2017 at 3:33 AM, Jabby said:

You have a point. But if we dilute the legion community with armada players then it will get better right?

No, if you purify the Armada community of those people who have that 'war gaming snob' spirit, then the Armada community will benefit.

Probably neither for me. Been slowly moving away from Armada for a while now thanks to a variety of factors, but Legion just triggers massive Star Wars fatigue in me. Plus the ground battles in Star Wars never seemed super interesting to me, so I don't see much reason to jump in.

On 11/5/2017 at 10:15 PM, ninclouse2000 said:

It's friendly cuz I'm over there picking fights with those pretentious ***** rather than spending my time here. Once I drive out all the IA haters, it should be good.

At this point I'm more concerned about losing Armada players to the Void of information we seem to have as opposed to another game. I'm sure people threaten to quit all the time when bad news happens, it's just heart breaking to see when i do really enjoy this game and want it to succeed. 

"if you gaze long enough into an abyss..."

19 hours ago, ShadowFox1138 said:

I will wait and see how Legion pans out first...I made that mistake when I was playing 40k long ago. For now, I will wait for the God-Emperor named Thrawn to arrive...

Well there are two different possibilities but depends on how competitively popular it is.

1. It could go Armada/Imperial Assault where it is not overwhelmingly popular but popular enough to keep up. However it only occasionally gets updates and expansions, not enough to really get mainstream appeal.
  2. It becomes overwhelmingly record breaking popular in the competitive scene like X-wing. Thus gets a dozen new models dumped on it every year with product tie ins from Disney to include new heroes new models, new expansions. With a new migration of players from X-wing to Legion (likely the same ones just from 40K) where now instead of a fun playable enjoyable and affordable experience is what matters the reddits will be flooded with meta discontent.