Boba Rick

Resurgence of Expert Handling and the Jumpmasters Getting their Tubes Tied

First question:  If missiles and torpedoes become more of a thing than they are now, do you think Expert Handling will see some use?  A great way to shed a Target Lock!

Second question:  Harpoons and the bombing nerf will increase missile/torp useage, but at the same time the Jumpmasters getting their tubes tied will decrease it.  Where do you think this will all pan out? 

If missiles are a thing it'll be either deadeye or very high ps

Either way, eh will be pretty bunk

You're down really to counter measures and Black1 (only after the silencer comes out and brings the tech that lets you effectively run Poe at ps 11), but even then it won't stop DEADEYE 

Edited by ficklegreendice

3 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

If missiles are a thing it'll be either deadeye or very high ps

Either way, eh will be pretty bunk

You're down really to counter measures and Black1 (only after the silencer comes out and brings the tech that lets you effectively run Poe at ps 11), but even then it won't stop DEADEYE 

I'm clearly insane.

Palob Godalhi — HWK-290 20
Expert Handling 2
Autoblaster Turret 2
Dengar 3
Vectored Thrusters 2
Moldy Crow 3
Ship Total: 32

Expert Handling is awesome on anything that can really use a barrel roll, especially as its only 2pts. I use it on Han almost all the time. Counter measures can be better on ships that don't really benefit from the b-roll. 

e.g. Han at PS9 = b-roll can be handy on top of dropping locks

Chewie at PS5 = not so useful. With smuggling compartment/scavenger crane you can reuse counter measures as well. 

It really depends on the ship, but its a solid card.

4 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

I've always loved Expert Handling. It's probably in my top 10 most used upgrades next to Wired and Elusiveness.

Wired, yes. 

Elusiveness...teach me, sensei. Tried it on an R2D2 Luke build a while back. Seemed promising, but...

5 minutes ago, Scopes said:

Wired, yes. 

Elusiveness...teach me, sensei. Tried it on an R2D2 Luke build a while back. Seemed promising, but...

Elusiveness AND wired on a Green Squadron A-wing ;)

Or Chewie with Elusiveness, Kanan and Ezra.

They're some of my rebel uses for it anyway.

The TL mechanic is at best a bonus use of Expert Handling. Its real value is in giving barrel roll to large based ships. I've used it to great effect on Bossk and even Cassian in the U Wing, in the right squad.

Expert Handling will never see top competive play because it is an action EPT. Unless there is some pilot that lets you perform a free action after using such an action EPT Expert Handling can go in the same pile you have placed Squad Leader in.

6 hours ago, CRCL said:

Wes is a good choice in a  missile meta:

32 Wes w/ VI, BB8, IA.

He's a surprisingly good pilot, even if your opponent doesn't bring ordnance.

He was solid in the Dengaroo meta, too. BB-8 is nice choice, and he can take M9-G8 and become a full support ship (My favourite), or he can take R3-A2 for a little stress control. Have been tinkering around with him, I'm sure there's a good list out there with him alongside a couple of Wookies. 

6 hours ago, DR4CO said:

Tragically, doesn't work. OS-1 specifically says you have to have your target locked to be able to shoot at it.

And if you have a target locked, you can therefore SLAM/ Advanced SLAM (focus)/fire non-lock-spending missiles at will, keeping the lock. 

you have to have a lock, not necessarily use it.

For that matter, if you can target lock an opponent, you can use a focus token to fire Unguided Rockets at them after SLAM-ing turn after turn.

1: No, expert handling just costs too much both in points, opportunity costs, and consequences for its benefit.  If you already have BR it's a huge opportunity cost to have to spend your EPT and 2 points on it just to gain the TL shedding, and if you don't the stress is way too big a cost, plus the lack of other actions affecting your mods.  And the necessity to be super high PS to counter the scariest missiles which are coming in at PS11 from Vader and QD.

2: Deadeye K Fighters and Vader/QD seem likely to me to fall out as the most common ordnance users now, at least until the Gunboat drops.

8 hours ago, DR4CO said:

Tragically, doesn't work. OS-1 specifically says you have to have your target locked to be able to shoot at it.

I know. Anyone who can read knows that. I meant that you don't have to SLAM or reload ALL the time. JUst do it when you need to. 

And put on XG-1 instead so you can still shoot while reloading for the ordnance. 

3 hours ago, Marinealver said:

Expert Handling will never see top competive play because it is an action EPT. Unless there is some pilot that lets you perform a free action after using such an action EPT Expert Handling can go in the same pile you have placed Squad Leader in.

Just being an action EPT doesn't automatically make it bad.

The concept of action EPTs is fine.

It's just that thus far the execution has been... wanting...

17 hours ago, LagJanson said:

I've been looking at Expert Handling on Rey for a bit... Not the best EPT but provides her that barrel roll option to dodge arcs. I've only put it on the table once though. It worked there, but not feeling confident in how well it'd work long term.

Ran that build for awhile and I don't have kannan and I found it to easy to double stress myself, Kannan or not. So while expert handling was useful, the two turns where you couldn't do anything after were not. I'd say stick with expertise or VI.