JediPartisan

Three Scum Ships That Have Somehow Been Missed

53 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Add more Star Wars to the game, please.

Actually DM, you're a good person to ask about this sort of thing:

What's the draw to FFG making such an official release? Considering there would be very little to add in terms of actual new content to the pack - what's the draw to even just people who like the minis, or want more scenario play to get an "official" HH-87 pack over just getting some custom HH minis and sticking them on Syck bases, or something, and saying "those are Zygerrian slavers now"? Because that's about all the HH adds. 

1 hour ago, UnitOmega said:

Actually DM, you're a good person to ask about this sort of thing:

What's the draw to FFG making such an official release? Considering there would be very little to add in terms of actual new content to the pack - what's the draw to even just people who like the minis, or want more scenario play to get an "official" HH-87 pack over just getting some custom HH minis and sticking them on Syck bases, or something, and saying "those are Zygerrian slavers now"? Because that's about all the HH adds. 

So, just assuming there is no way to make this ship's stat line and dial unique  (or unique enough) things that could happen are:

Adding iconic characters to the game (where's Pando Baba?).  These could be the bits that have new abilities.

Reprinting upgrades that needed to be reworded. 

Adding new upgrades, even if the ship isn't that unique.

Fill in PS slots that are missing from the ship it is "duplicating."

Making a Star Wars geek happy, because IMHO, that is what this game is supposed to be about.

And, lastly, to fulfill the narrative options you talked about.  There are lots of people who want to table a mini just because they love that ship.

Edited by Darth Meanie

15 hours ago, Gadgetron said:

V-Wings, Arc-170s, and X-Wings should all be in the Imperial arsenal.  All these served in the Imperial navy, the C-Wings and Arc 170 served for quite a few years before being phased out.  V-Wings on board a Venator Star Destroyer were used to track Thrawn, and that was only a few years before the events of Rogue One.

In legends the X-Wings were to replace the TIE fighter but the Incom engineers who designed it defected, stealing all the plans and prototypes they had on hand.  However, it should be pointed out there would still be a few test models still in Imperial hands at testing facilities spread around the galaxy.  So if FFG can give rebels TIEs because sabine had one, the Imperials should get X-Wings because they are bound to have a few left.  Besides, according to Battlefront 2 (which is canon,) Inferno squad has at least 2 in their possession, so we can assume we already have at least 3 pilots for them. 

I tend to file SW games under EU. (We Still Remember You Jan and Kyle!):P

V-wing I can easily see as another Imperial ship, and one with an Imperial Astromech slot as well to go with the Imperial Y-wing. You have to have at least two ships that have a particular upgrade slot otherwise why have a slot system?

The ARC-170 being the first prequel ship is clear to see that there will be no prequel factions instead the prequel ships will be given to other factions. Sure they could put out an Imperial one with Imperial pilots and the Imperial Astromech upgrade slot. They will have to errata the title "Alliance Overhaul" to rebel only and make an Empire Overhaul though.

C-wings I don't know that much but if it is a prequel ship then it could go to any of the 3 primary factions.

And as for Imperial X-wing. At first it the answer is an easy "why not?" after all Rebels have the TIE Fighter. As for the Incom working for the Empire story arc remember the predecessor to the X-wing is the Z-95 Headhunter. Imperials don't like those at all (unless there is an Imperial headhuter in the future). So why would Imperials have X-wings and not Z-95s? IMHO The Incom T-65 X-wing is very much like the real life Boeing X-22. It was developed for the Empire, and lost the bid against another competitor. However unlike Boeing, Incom could find another buyer. So they left, taking their X-65 prototype with them. If the Empire chased after Incom and got a hold of the newly produced starfighers them it would be more likely that they would destroy the entire production line given that Sineear Fleet Systems now provides the Empire with all their Starfighter needs. So sorry I can't get on the Imperial X-wing bandwagon. The other three sure, as for X-wings, they will always be a rebel ship.

Edited by Marinealver

5 hours ago, SabineKey said:

See, to me your first point (sub-factions not really meaning anything) defeats your second point (giving the two ships autonomy from Rebels and Imps). It doesn't actually do anything.

Now, that is just me. If others like the idea, then maybe it'll be worthwhile.

Eh, the second point was more to point out that even if FFG decided to make sub-factions mean anything, then making Partisans and Mining Guild into new sub-factions would allow them to not cause problems for the Rebellion, Resistance, Empire and First Order sub-factions. Basically, my point was making new sub-factions for them doesn't harm anything, allows them to be thematic, but still puts them in the lists that make the most sense.

Of course, I'd also like to see Mandalorians be a sub-faction, but FFG may have already mucked up that idea by making the Scum already use the Mandalorian logo... ah, well. Not like anything I suggest here is going to end up in the game, anyway! :P

1 hour ago, Marinealver said:

And as for Imperial X-wing. At first it the answer is an easy "why not?" after all Rebels have the TIE Fighter. As for the Incom working for the Empire story arc remember the predecessor to the X-wing is the Z-95 Headhunter. Imperials don't like those at all (unless there is an Imperial headhuter in the future). So why would Imperials have X-wings and not Z-95s? IMHO The Incom T-65 X-wing is very much like the real life Boeing X-22. It was developed for the Empire, and lost the bid against another competitor. However unlike Boeing, Incom could find another buyer. So they left, taking their X-65 prototype with them. If the Empire chased after Incom and got a hold of the newly produced starfighers them it would be more likely that they would destroy the entire production line given that Sineear Fleet Systems now provides the Empire with all their Starfighter needs. So sorry I can't get on the Imperial X-wing bandwagon. The other three sure, as for X-wings, they will always be a rebel ship.

The Z-95 was used by the republic, so its not unlikely that the Empire has them in boneyards.  That's just an aside though, as the newfluff has them being replaced by V-Wings and ARC-170s (remember, the ARC-170 is an Incom development) during the course of the Clone Wars.  As for the X-Wing, it IS in Imperial possession.  It seems like they would want to keep them, even if it was only for live training, let your recruits fly against the real thing not just simulators.  Through normal combat attrition its also very likely that the Empire takes numerous crashed, emergency landed, ect X-Wings (think WWII, its why we had German/Italian/Japanese aircraft and they had ours.)  If the Rebels use ours, why cant the Imperials use theirs?  If you're going to infiltrate Rebel held worlds for recon,  I think that's why Inferno Squad has them in their hangar.

I'll be honest, I was never for shared ships between factions, personally I felt that's what scum should have been, mercs, usable in both factions with some restrictions, this would have allowed shared ships while in keeping with the theme.  FFG opened the door with the TIE and Y-Wing, these are both icons of their factions.  Seems only fair is all.

As for the sub-faction Icons.... Why do they even bother to have them?  Scum should have multiple sub-factions though, the Hutts, Black Sun Syndicate, Bounty Hunters Guild, and Mandalorians.  There should be some sort of bonus and/or detriment to running multiple sub-factions.

Edited by Gadgetron

1 hour ago, Gadgetron said:

The Z-95 was used by the republic, so its not unlikely that the Empire has them in boneyards.  That's just an aside though, as the newfluff has them being replaced by V-Wings and ARC-170s (remember, the ARC-170 is an Incom development) during the course of the Clone Wars.  As for the X-Wing, it IS in Imperial possession.  It seems like they would want to keep them, even if it was only for live training, let your recruits fly against the real thing not just simulators.  Through normal combat attrition its also very likely that the Empire takes numerous crashed, emergency landed, ect X-Wings (think WWII, its why we had German/Italian/Japanese aircraft and they had ours.)  If the Rebels use ours, why cant the Imperials use theirs?  If you're going to infiltrate Rebel held worlds for recon,  I think that's why Inferno Squad has them in their hangar.

I'll be honest, I was never for shared ships between factions, personally I felt that's what scum should have been, mercs, usable in both factions with some restrictions, this would have allowed shared ships while in keeping with the theme.  FFG opened the door with the TIE and Y-Wing, these are both icons of their factions.  Seems only fair is all.

As for the sub-faction Icons.... Why do they even bother to have them?  Scum should have multiple sub-factions though, the Hutts, Black Sun Syndicate, Bounty Hunters Guild, and Mandalorians.  There should be some sort of bonus and/or detriment to running multiple sub-factions.

Yeah, I do know that other nations keep captured aircraft for training purposes (I have seen MIGs on a USAF base). But training is not combat, as for stolen TIEs yeah Rebels did use them for that purpose especially to hit Imperial logistical bases. For the Imperials they only had one logistical target, the Rebel Base.  As for Inferno Squadron well they are pretty much a FO unit and not GE. Saying otherwise would be like calling Tarkin a Republic faction.

For cross faction ships again it is something that should be seldom and there should be enough difference between the faction ships (like different upgrade slots) to make them not the same ship. I think the only cross faction ship that is very similar to its cousin is the Y-wing because the only difference is an upgrade slot is switched instead of additional upgrades. To be honest I think there should have been a few more Imperial Scum cross faction ships. Instead of the blasted things they did with the Jumpmaster to obtain faction balance they could have just give them over the the Imperials (after all they have them in Armada). Remove the <illicit> slot and swap the <Salvaged Astromech> slot aka "Trashmech" for the new <Imperial Astromech> aka "Shinymech" and you got an Imperial bounty hunter that would make the Imperials as powerful as Scum. However as for tri-faction ships lets hold off on that. Y-wings might be the best, at least the Rebel TIE Fighter doesn't play the same role as an Imperial TIE Fighter but I don't know what role would a scum TIE Fighter be without copying one of the other rolls.

For subfactions, well I have this alt format I want to see what will happen below, but too many nerf hearders only want to play 100point competitive standard.

Edited by Marinealver

54 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

Yeah, I do know that other nations keep captured aircraft for training purposes (I have seen MIGs on a USAF base). But training is not combat, as for stolen TIEs yeah Rebels did use them for that purpose especially to hit Imperial logistical bases. For the Imperials they only had one logistical target, the Rebel Base.  As for Inferno Squadron well they are pretty much a FO unit and not GE. Saying otherwise would be like calling Tarkin a Republic faction.

Inferno Squad was a well established special forces unit before the war went sideways (keep in mind, the war went on for two years after Endor, and no one is sure when the First Order even organized) they are definitely an Imperial unit first and foremost, but we wont know for sure for a few weeks.  They also aren't likely to be the only one.  There are probably are multiple units out there, all with similar doctrines, and it may well be that they use X-Wings for subterfuge as well as spying/training.  If pirates are causing you a headache with illegal mining/smuggling/piracy, perhaps you might do well to destroy a base with a squadron of X-Wings, the rebels are always trying to help the local populations, it wouldn't be far fetched, but, it also turns the pirates against the rebels for a time.

Just saying, its just as likely for the Imperials to use stolen rebel ships, as rebels to use stolen TIEs.  Is FFG ever going to give the X-Wing to Imps? Probably not, but its likely because they realized how stupid it was to give the rebels a TIE when the Imps aren't getting anything in return.

I really want to know what FFGs plan was with the sub-factions and why it didn't break up scum, when they have the most (possible) sub-factions.

On 11/3/2017 at 0:12 AM, Gadgetron said:

Inferno Squad was a well established special forces unit before the war went sideways (keep in mind, the war went on for two years after Endor, and no one is sure when the First Order even organized) they are definitely an Imperial unit first and foremost, but we wont know for sure for a few weeks.  They also aren't likely to be the only one.  There are probably are multiple units out there, all with similar doctrines, and it may well be that they use X-Wings for subterfuge as well as spying/training.  If pirates are causing you a headache with illegal mining/smuggling/piracy, perhaps you might do well to destroy a base with a squadron of X-Wings, the rebels are always trying to help the local populations, it wouldn't be far fetched, but, it also turns the pirates against the rebels for a time.

Just saying, its just as likely for the Imperials to use stolen rebel ships, as rebels to use stolen TIEs.  Is FFG ever going to give the X-Wing to Imps? Probably not, but its likely because they realized how stupid it was to give the rebels a TIE when the Imps aren't getting anything in return.

I really want to know what FFGs plan was with the sub-factions and why it didn't break up scum, when they have the most (possible) sub-factions.

Yeah but was Inferno Squad established before EABF2? I get you like the game and it is the first instance of FFG's cannon ship the Raider corvette to cross over into other story lines of the Star Wars Franchise but frankly I don't see how they fit into X-wing any more than Delta squad from Republic Commando. Legion yes, in a later wave but as far as X-wing goes not really.

Imperials don't seem like the sneaky type with all their ISB agents wearing half of a storm trooper armor subtitle doesn't seem like their suit. Besides if they did use X-wings they would have found Yavin Base before the Alliance found Jyn (thanks to Rouge One showing Rebels lack of security measures). You are thinking way too much for Star Wars. The Rebels are poor decision makers do to their frequent uses of committees and the Imperials are even more oblivious given how half of their officers can stare right at a Rebel Base and not even notice it.

As for subfactions, probably nothing. It isn't uncommon for a game to have some sort of trait that servers nothing more than flavor text. Take a look at the Identity types in Netrunner, there is no difference between a G-mod from a Natural or even a Division from a Megacorp. That is also why I tried to set up my alternative format to make something of those subfactions.

Edited by Marinealver

On 2017-11-02 at 9:08 AM, Incard said:

The slaver ship looks like a Jawa Sandcrawler with oversized VTOL jet engines. I agree with others who have said it looks too similar to the YV-666. Mining Guild TIE? meh. HH-87 passes the Star-Warsy look gut-check for me, so I'm ok with it.

As far as the HH passing the Star-Warsy look, it was an alternate art design for the imperial shuttle in RoTJ, so it should pass the test.

It finally became cannon in the Clone Wars series.

The Mining Guild TIE IS Scum.

As quoted from StarWars.com: As the Mining Guild was in league with the Empire, its forces were granted certain Imperial weaponry and craft, including TIE fighters. Mining Guild TIE fighters, however, had a distinct yellow color scheme, clearly delineating that they were not in direct service of the Empire.

Please note the, “...they were not in direct service of the Empire.”, meaning not Imperial, but were allowed to have certain hardware.

Also when Sabine’s TIE is flown onto the deck of a Stardestroyer, one of the stormtroopers standing there says, “I don’t think that’s regulation.”

If the Mining Guild was a part of the Empire, do you really think the colour and the missing stabilizers would be allowed? As far as factions within the empire, I didn’t take the Emperor as a sharing control kind of guy. If you work for him, he’s a sweetheart, until you piss him off, then you’re generally dead.

What if Scum isn't really miss ships just pilots, they really should make a "Scum Pilot Pack" and give out new pilots for all the ships out that way they can be played more

14 minutes ago, Raltus said:

What if Scum isn't really miss ships just pilots, they really should make a "Scum Pilot Pack" and give out new pilots for all the ships out that way they can be played more

I think we need most wanted II. Instead of converting other ships to the faction it could just introduce some new pilots for ships that don't need a repaint but could use some more variety. A G1a and protectorate repaint could include some extra cards for other ships in the faction such as the YV-666, HWK and Firespray to help boost them up a little.

On 11/2/2017 at 4:06 PM, Freeptop said:

It's not like the those symbols have any in-game meaning at this time - it's mostly just thematic. It's not really necessary for them to be fully-fleshed out sub-factions, and it would allow FFG to still make use of any future plans for the existing sub-factions without having to worry about how Partisans or Mining Guild might unbalance those plans.

Also, the only additional effort required would be to generate the symbol, which really isn't all that much. That said, I'm not invested in the idea, just I saw a way FFG could avoid shoe-horning the Partisans or the Mining Guild into the Scum, but still stay lore-accurate to them not really fitting into the Rebellion/Empire. Seemed like a simple fix, if you're assuming those entities are going to be brought into the game in the first place.

It would be nice if they did have some in-game meaning. Line up all your factions.

Resistance

Rebels

Partisans

Scum

Mining Guild

Empire

First order

Your faction may field one ship from an adjacent faction.

As to the original post. I wouldn't mind seeing any of those ships on the mat, but I doubt it will happen.