That Blasted Samophlange

The TIE Interceptor has missiles?

20 posts in this topic

So, ever since the latest episode of rebels aired (Flight of the Defender), I've been thinking about this.   We see where, and how many, missiles the defender has.   The loadout area also resembles the aperature found on the TIE Interceptor’s wings.   Now this is tangential evidence, but apparently the Interceptor in Battlefront II has missiles.   

If someone could confirm the battlefront info, that would be great.  Even without that, what does that mean for the humble ill played arc dodger?   Will Fel’s Wrath always let off his ordinance?

The TIE interceptor never shot missiles in the movies. However, in the old videogames (and in Legends) it could be equipped with warheads (and flares, and shields), if necessary.

If the new Battlefront series is canon, it is still capable of bringing missiles.

[New] Canon entry of the ship here.

PS: it had twin "chin lasers" in RoTJ, complementing the 4 wing guns, though.

Battlefront 2 has several ships Bering equipped wrong die to balanciert reasons.

In Legends the TIE/in had missile launchers where the TIE/LN hast its laser cannons.

Thats also the area the Defender had its missile launchers in Legends.

The TIE/in armament is all in all an nteresting topic as its cockpit mounten launchers can be swapped for lasers and repeating blasters can ne added to the area between the wing claws. 

All in all it could carry Up to 6 Laser cannons and 4 repeating blasters.

Would be great to see this in a future title.

11 minutes ago, rafcpl6868 said:

Procket Soontir would be nice

Procket Soontir would be hilarious. Getting a 5 dice shot off basically for free after repositioning, now that is tasty. 

Overall, TiE's carrying missiles from a canon point of view appears a bit odd to me. They are used as a defensive screen for capital ships, which is why they need to be able to operate in the combat zone for extended periods of time, hence no refueling or reliance on finite ordnance. 

Help me out here, other than for versatility's sake- what reason would there be to outfit TiEs with missiles? What could they do that an ISD couldn't? (Add to that that they would be giving up their best defence?)

Edit: I'm talking about the "standard", mass variants, of course. I do completely understand why other TiEs have different mission parameters completely negating this problem.

Edited by DampfGecko

12 minutes ago, Norsehound said:

As early as mission 3 in tie fighter, TIE/LN fighters could be armed with concussion missiles in a pinch.

Yeah, though personally, I always rather liked the looks of the TIE Experimental M3 from X-Wing Alliance.

tiewarhead.jpg

I think, given the TIE Defender Elite's placement of missiles, we can well and truly say that the TIE Interceptor's similar little ports can also totally carry missiles.

4 minutes ago, DampfGecko said:

Procket Soontir would be hilarious. Getting a 5 dice shot off basically for free after repositioning, now that is tasty. 

Overall, TiE's carrying missiles from a canon point of view appears a bit odd to me. They are used as a defensive screen for capital ships, which is why they need to be able to operate in the combat zone for extended periods of time, hence no refueling or reliance on finite ordnance. 

Help me out here, other than for versatility's sake- what reason would there be to outfit TiEs with missiles? What could they do that an ISD couldn't? (Add to that that they would be giving up their best defence?)

Edit: I'm talking about the "standard", mass variants, of course. I do completely understand why other TiEs have different mission parameters completely negating this problem.

From memory, all of the instances of TIE Fighter and TIE Interceptors carrying missiles on the old TIE Fighter game was for special circumstances.  None of the line missions had you packing those armaments.  

Occasionally they would get missile packs added on for special missions.  An example from memory being something like using TIE Fighters to raid some hard target because the heavier fighters in the fleet were occupied with another mission or had suffered heavy losses in a previous mission.  Even then it was a bolt-on quad pack, not the full 8-16 shot tubes the heavier fighters had.

24 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

Yeah, though personally, I always rather liked the looks of the TIE Experimental M3 from X-Wing Alliance.

tiewarhead.jpg

Was in this topic just to post about this ship. 

FlyingAnchors and JJ48 like this

I always wanted this card:

Experimental launcher

Tie only. Modification.

You may equip one torpedo, bomb or missile upgrade and no more.

Your action bar gains the TL icon. You cannot spend target locks to reroll dice.

0 points

JJ48 likes this

1 hour ago, JJ48 said:

tiewarhead.jpg

That beast of a thing was like a missile boat bolted to a tie interceptor.... I remember ignoring that one the first time around and could not stop the incoming missile alert.

JJ48 likes this

IIRC, the story of the Interceptors in XvT:BoP was that they were kinda special unit.  The ISD you were on was being sent into a remote region and therefore were specially equipped to be able to handle heavier and more varied missions without the need for extra types of fighter craft.

2 hours ago, Biophysical said:

From memory, all of the instances of TIE Fighter and TIE Interceptors carrying missiles on the old TIE Fighter game was for special circumstances.  None of the line missions had you packing those armaments.  

Occasionally they would get missile packs added on for special missions.  An example from memory being something like using TIE Fighters to raid some hard target because the heavier fighters in the fleet were occupied with another mission or had suffered heavy losses in a previous mission.  Even then it was a bolt-on quad pack, not the full 8-16 shot tubes the heavier fighters had.

Sounds like a modification to me :D

Is it time to start a 500 page thread about how External Munitions racks should be a thing?

FFG's even used them before in the RPGs, the Arakyd Missile Pack. Want to buy some missiles but don't want to install an expensive launcher? Just buy a missile block and glue it on your ship. 

Just now, UnitOmega said:

Is it time to start a 500 page thread about how External Munitions racks should be a thing?

FFG's even used them before in the RPGs, the Arakyd Missile Pack. Want to buy some missiles but don't want to install an expensive launcher? Just buy a missile block and glue it on your ship. 

It is more that the TIE Interceptor has these racks built in.

9 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

It is more that the TIE Interceptor has these racks built in.

That I'm not sure of. The TIE/IN model in rebels has the same central geometry as the original TIE/D model in rebels, which does include a couple of nub zones - and in the TIE Defender Elite model shown recently, has missiles in that place. But at the same time, I don't recall if Missiles were mentioned as a capability of the original TIE Defender prototype seen on Rebels. They had the schematics and noted the shields and multiple lasers, but not the missiles (we see them later), ion cannons (still unseen) or hyperdrive (also added later). I also didn't frame by frame flight of the defender to see if the place where they slot in looks the same. As of right now, there's no mention of even external warhead capabilities to a TIE/IN from the current canon. It might be a good Rebels Recon question.

It's also interesting to note, the warhead launchers in the original TIE Defender in the old Essentials guides were in the cockpit where the "chin" lasers usually are. The areas in the centers of the wings on the TIE/D and TIE/IN are referenced as Targeting Sensors. 

Now I'm getting the urge to reinstall TIE Fighter just so I can pop off some Interceptor or Fighter missiles and use the camera to see where they come out of. I imagine they're in the bottom of the cockpit if memory serves correctly as they just recycled the placement of the warheads from X-Wing (which really made the TIE Bomber's extra pod seem totally unnecessary unless it was feeding underneath the cockpit).

Heck, does anybody remember if the Missile Boat launched both sets of warheads from below the cockpit despite having two pods above it?

Punning Pundit likes this