Boba Rick

When Do You Pop Glitterstim?

I was using glitterstim on a ship in my list for awhile.

Besides guessing the best moment to use it, you were at the fate of the dice gods to roll several eyeballs to get your money's worth. 

When you guess right with several ships attacking you and you get a bunch of extra evades because of the Stims they are amazing. 

But often it ends up being a waste. Hence why I gave up on them to use the points elsewhere for something more reliable.

6 hours ago, Kieransi said:

I personally don’t use it much because I struggle with the timing, and it doesn’t always feel worth it. Usually, the first round of firing in the whole game is the best time to use it, in my opinion. The last time I flew it was two copies on Sabine Shadowcaster. That was fun!

This, but for wingman give her trandoshan slaver with Jabba as crew. Then 4 uses of glitterstim and she'll be recreating the end of Scarface except in space.

Edited by GILLIES291

Something that hasn't been touched on much, if at all, is the stress penalty. Doing it on the initial joust is fine, but where do you go from there? You can't K-turn or S-loop (unless you're Dengar, of course). Lancers are fast enough that they can run away, and they have the option of bringing their mobile firing arc around.

But what about the IG-2000? Do you just put all power to engines and come back around for a pass later? Are there times when that stress penalty has gotten you in worse trouble than if you hadn't dosed up?

8 hours ago, NoZone said:

Run two stims on Ventress with a YV-666 and Jabba and pop one every turn!

If you're going to do that, try Sabine - her ability combined with four successive rounds of snorting space-cocaine makes the Lancer stupidly hard to hurt.

13 hours ago, Boba Rick said:

How have you used Glitterstim and what strategies do you employ?

That's my question. 

Thanks.

Essentially as a one-use-not-an-elite-upgrade push the limit. But picking the turn where you expect to get shot at 2+ times and have a shot yourself is the real benefit - then you can target lock for your action (or even double-stress yourself on a K-turn) and a lot of benefit.

Essentially; every time you roll 3 dice you have a bit over a 50/50 chance of wishing you had a focus token. Getting real mileage out of the 'unlimited focus' effect therefore generally means a turn you're rolling dice 3+ times.

The absolute best case was facing 4 x Twin Laser Turret y-wings - Slave 1 evaded and popped glitterstim and countermeasures simultaneously, entering what can best be described as "I am a leaf on the wind" mode...

Thanks everyone.

Here's my specific scenario, and maybe more light can be shed on it:

I run PS 11 TalonBane, PS 8 Sol Sixxa, and PS 4 Captain Jostero with Deadeye.  All of them have chips and harpoons.

My flight pattern is such that on turn 3 or 4 if everything goes right (I know that's a big if) I can launch 3 harpoons at the same target from these ships.  My two K-Fighters are a little over range 1 from each other going from the bottom up, and Sol Sixxa is heading from one side towards the middle.  Most likely my two K-Fighters will have guns pointed at them.

With TBC and Sol Sixxa I will have Target Locked, because they have high PS and no Deadeye.  Most likely Jostero will have focused.

Is the safe move to pop both Glitterstims for my K-Fighters on that first round to ensure their survival?  But that creates problems for the next round because now they are both stressed.  I don't think I need Glitterstim for mods because I have chips.

Tips?

Edited by Boba Rick

36 minutes ago, Boba Rick said:

I don't think I need Glitterstim for mods because I have chips.

Guidance Chips and Target Lock rerolls should be enough - I would think - that you shouldn't need to use Glitterstim purely for the missile shot. If you're expecting to take a fair volley of incoming fire as well, then I'd want the drugs.

A lot of it will depend if they have a reaslistic green 'breakaway' move - the Khiraxz is not oversupplied with legal green moves!

Okay...we're talking Harpoons, so the focus tokens will not be spent on firing the missile. Lower PS, so there is a chance for them to be PS killed. Having chips is good, but having chips and a focus is better. K-fighters have okay greens, but not great. 

Mhmm. I'm gonna go with the defensive mind set and say that if you think you are gonna take a pounding, then pop it. If you feel confident that you won't take many hits, safe it for later. 

1 hour ago, Knightcrawler said:

Makes you wonder how that even works!

If you can make robots sentient, you can make robots susceptible to "mind" altering effects. As for the mechanics, it's glitterstim, after all; something in the way light interacts with the substance does weird things your optic nerves (or sensors, in this case), which grants you temporary hyper-focus (presumably at the cost of long-term damage to your brain and/or programming and/or hard/wetware).

Where's my no-prize?

Additional thought: If you are confident you will trigger Jostero's ability in the salvo, using glitterstim to ensure he has mods for both shots (missile and ability)  might be worthwhile. Plus, he is likely to pull the most agro because of his ability.

23 hours ago, Boba Rick said:

How have you used Glitterstim...

Roleplaying Answer: All the cool kids are doing it.

Useful answer: When you've got the potential to roll many eyeballs. Just launched an Advanced Proton Torpedo? Not before you blasted your 'stims, you madman! Totally on purpose ended up in the firing arc of the entire enemy squad! One last bump of Glitter before... oh, you survived. Rad. Are you one of those dangerous buzzsaws with multiple attacks, and you're confident that they'll go off this round? Glitter-up, cowboy. Are you part of a comedy duo of robot assassins who have hilariously mismatched personalities? CRAM GLITTERSTIMS INTO YOUR CIRQUITS, YOU CLICHE.

Pretty much all those times. Stims are better when you can shed the stress, but also good when you are already stressed and IT'S AN EMERGENCY,

I rarely run glitterstim, mainly because I would never have needed it if I'd flown better. But when I do it's normally in the following type of situations.

Fenn is tokenless at R1 of 3 Defenders with focus tokens, and he has 1 hull left. I have a Kihraxz at range 2 with 3 health left that has glitterstim, but otherwise naked. My opponent's best move is going to be to take out Fenn here (since He's a bigger target). I'll trigger glitterstim on the Kihraxz that turn to try to convince my opponent that the Kihraxz is worth more than it is, and take the heat off of Fenn.