XTrueFinale

How's your local LCG scene?

My local scene, currently has from I've heard or seen about 4 players for Game of Thrones 2nd, about 4 players that meet regularly to play Netrunner and about 6 for Legend of Five Rings...whereas there is about at least double that no. or more MTG players most of the time (outside scheduled organized play events).

Is the scene similar in your area? and if so why are LCGs not that popular in a local gaming scene for people to meet up and play? Lack of promotion from the hobby shops? Not as profitable as selling TCGs by hobby stores?

What are your experiences and thoughts? 

Yep.... too Many Lcg to get gritical mass...

if you take mtg deck with you and go holiday to new plase, you will find people to play with. If you take one of those Lcg... most likely not, or at least not the one that you did pring with you.

the MTG is just so huge and because of that it will stay huge. 

There are about 6 guys who meet up to play Netrunner, but no idea how long that will continue. Everything else has more or less nothing.

Area is dominated by Magic obviously, especially after the shop doing the principle support to those Japanese ones where all the numbers are in the thousands closed down.

Posted (edited)

At the moment there's me playing Conquest and Doomtown + one Conquest guy + one Doomtown guy + 2 AGoT guys. That's all. But have to add we live in small town without FLGS and card games were not so popular here. Except L5R CCG - we had 13+ players playgroup few years ago (mixed casual/competetive crowd).

Edited by kempy

I'm positive the main problem is poor point of entries options into pretty much all the LCGs. They need to figure out a way to remove that barrier of entry.  It only gets worse as time goes on which is unfortunate since arguably the games get better as the card pools mature.  Also players need tools to help recruit new players when a game group suffers from normal hobby game attrition. Ultimately I hope they figure out a better way to launch an LCG because I think the core sets are fairly problematic in this regards.  FFG front loads the expense on the players rather than make that initial purchase as attractive as possible.  That just seems wrong for the long term health of a hobby game.

I'm hoping since they are doing the AGOT starter decks that they are making moves to fix that.  It's much easier to get a casually interested person in the store to try a game if you can point them to a single 15-20 USD purchase rather than tell them they need to buy multiple core sets and maybe some expansions to make a reasonable deck and start playing with the group.  Maybe in the future we can move to a faction specific starter pack or something similar.  I know they've bene hesitant to do that for a variety of good reasons, but it feels like they gotta do something to address the issue.

Draft format was presented as a potential fix, but the draft formats for LCGs never really took off since vets were just drafting stuff already in their collection for the most part (expect for a few cards from future packs).  With no real secondary market for those cards I think it was seen as generally a bad investment.  That's too bad because Netrunner was a great game to play in the draft format. 

Edited by phillos