1 hour ago, Isawa Tasatu said:

"107

Phoenix Dynasty Character

(name redacted)

Courtier. Scholar. Shugenja. Water.

2 1/2/2

Reaction: After the Water ring is claimed, choose a Scholar character - honor that character" (Dynasty Character)

Always happy to see more cheap shugenja for the fire chickies. Are the only two characters with the scholar trait the Naive Student and the Solemn Scholar at this point, though? Even with the seal that doesn't seem to promote much synergy. 

3 hours ago, ElSuave said:

I've linked images of spoilers before. Here's the Bayushi Kachiko image that was mentioned above. Was easy to find since the original post was from a public L5R FB group:

https://imgur.com/a/j8eJq

Guess this gives credit to the rest of the spoilers.

I’m the only one that find that her flavor text is very similar to Hotaru’s? Could it be that they’re talking to each other?

7 minutes ago, Tabris2k said:

I’m the only one that find that her flavor text is very similar to Hotaru’s? Could it be that they’re talking to each other?

Yes, I think it gives the implication that Hotaru is ok with a tie, a mutual benefit. Kachiko is only interested in absolute victory.

13 minutes ago, Sometimes Y said:

Always happy to see more cheap shugenja for the fire chickies. Are the only two characters with the scholar trait the Naive Student and the Solemn Scholar at this point, though? Even with the seal that doesn't seem to promote much synergy. 

At least it can honor itself too.

43 minutes ago, Sometimes Y said:

Plus itself.... but more than anything its a 2 cost Courtier/Shug in Dynasty side. with decent stats. Everything else is just cherries on the top. 

36 minutes ago, Waywardpaladin said:

Yes, I think it gives the implication that Hotaru is ok with a tie, a mutual benefit. Kachiko is only interested in absolute victory.

Well, Hotaru mentions “the rule of ko”, which is a rule of the game of Go. So I assume that they’re playing against each other. We’ve already seen that Kachiko seems to be good at Go in one of the last fictions. 

Just as a fun fact, the rule of ko prevents a “loop” in the game in which one single stone is captured and the opponent captures another single stone, repeating the same position, and it goes like that ad infinitum.

56 minutes ago, Sometimes Y said:

And the Student of Law.

I can't read it on my phone (out of town), is aged crone  a dynasty or conflict character?

The Lion seem to be making out like bandits.

Tattered Missive seems bad - especially if you want that imperial favor or need a blocker/ easy attack

Edited by Shu2jack

36 minutes ago, Shu2jack said:

I can't read it on my phone (out of town), is aged crone  a dynasty or conflict character?

The Lion seem to be making out like bandits.

Tattered Missive seems bad - especially if you want that imperial favor or need a blocker/ easy attack

Crone is a conflict character, by my eyes. I could be wrong though.

If you specifically want favor, Missive actually seems ok. It lets you pass during conflicts, count glory towards favor, and then bow in the Fate Phase. Doesn't really work on their last turn, of course. Seems good when digging for answers for military conflicts, though. I like it. Don't have enough courtiers in my deck to run it right now, though.

27 minutes ago, HirumaShigure said:

With the Seal of Crab giving the berserker trait,  are there any cards that interact with berserker except Crisis Breaker? Could be my brain is tired, but I can't think of any other cards that do. Help please. 

I do not believe so.  Not at this moment.  But it will be a theme they will build upon a am sure.

Perhaps Crab will be in the first Felix box and will expand on the berserker theme!

Edit: we do have vengeful berserker with the berserker trait.  But that's it i believe.

Edited by hidasaurus

I like how Shoju is able to take on targets larger than his own political skill by whittling them down, but when Kachiko runs into an opponent stronger than her, she can't move them. Seems like what happened to her with her meeting with the Emperor. Fortunately for her, Shoju is more flexible.

Aye, her stats are exactly the same as Hotaru. 5 3/6/3. Courtier trait is better than Bushi with stats like that too. She'll be a beast but maybe telegraphed? I haven't played against/with Scorpion enough to know if it's normal to have 5 fate banked up going into the conflict phase...

Just now, HirumaShigure said:

Aye, her stats are exactly the same as Hotaru. 5 3/6/3. Courtier trait is better than Bushi with stats like that too. She'll be a beast but maybe telegraphed? I haven't played against/with Scorpion enough to know if it's normal to have 5 fate banked up going into the conflict phase...

In my experience, there's always at least one Agent of Shadows waiting for the conflict phase, plus Scorpion seems to like to fate-deprive me, so I wouldn't find it unusual at all. On an aggressive turn, sometimes they even play the same Agent of Shadows twice, so they definitely have ways to spend fate.

Just now, HirumaShigure said:

It's more normal than I like.

Shoju has 7 Political.  However, I think her ability (and it's ability to be dropped) is more powerful.

58 minutes ago, Asako Shinpi said:

Shoju and Kachiko work well together.

How much Pol strength do you need though? And how often are you going to be able to pay for both of them?

I think she runs into a similar 'problem' as Shoju - she probably wins whatever Pol conflict she goes in to, and the opponent probably doesn't bother opposing if they think she's going to show up in a challenge. Which is very strong, but also somewhat one dimensional. She's probably better than Shoju if you can bluff using her. Though I think at the very least she'll probably be used as a 1 x character to break the opposing stronghold, as there's very few things that are going to really stop her. 

4 hours ago, Asako Shinpi said:

Shoju and Kachiko work well together.

You might think they do but they don't. Shoju is mostly only ever 7 pol anyway cause people just let him do whatever he wants. What kind of complete ninny is gonna chuck someone in the way of both of them? They're actually much better off working alone if you want to actually get value out of them other than just being huge.