ArcaneSpringbrd

My own overlapping frustration.

I can't help but get frustrated over my own screwups. I swear, ever game we've played well over half of my own ships overlap with something (I'm normally playing Imperials). Any recommendations?  I'm almost to the point of just going with super-elite ships with lots of upgrades so I don't keep tripping on my own feet.

The thread pinned to the top of the first page does have some useful resources, particularly the one titled Earning Your Wings. When I started out I'd sometimes practice alone by moving a ship around between asteroids, as well as by setting a second ship base where I thought a maneuver would take me and checking how far off I was. I also practiced with 4 TIEs moving in formation to figure out how far apart they had to be to not bump when banking. Even now after several years of playing I'll sometimes reveal a maneuver during a tournament and then ask my opponent if he'll let me check if another maneuver would have fit. Good luck!

Practice. Put shield tokens around 12 rocks on a map as close to rocks as possible. Put the rocks close at range 1 of each other.

Pretend your favorite ship is hungry hungry hippo and overlap the shields to collect them.

Collect all the shields in the fewest possible moves and without overlapping any rocks. Use barrel rolls or boosts as necessary.

Make sure to actually set your dial.

Completely restart if you overlap a rock. Dont just change it to what works. Restart.

When you can do that do it with three ships at the same time, put the shields in the same general area and dont overlap your other ships either.

Also this is my 666th post. 

Happy Halloween i guess?

Edited by Boom Owl

I feel your pain. I flew my first tie swarm a week or two ago (being a relatively new player) and easily tripped up virtually every ship I had at one time or another. Truly a soup sandwich/hot mess/train wreck. I've also managed to lose Vader on no less than two consecutive occasions to asteroids. 

1 hour ago, Dismal Scientist said:

Don’t set your initial formations too tight. Put a range ruler width between each ship during setup.

I find that straight maneuver templates work better if you don't want to eyeball the pinwheel formation.

8 hours ago, darthlurker said:

The thread pinned to the top of the first page does have some useful resources, particularly the one titled Earning Your Wings. When I started out I'd sometimes practice alone by moving a ship around between asteroids, as well as by setting a second ship base where I thought a maneuver would take me and checking how far off I was. I also practiced with 4 TIEs moving in formation to figure out how far apart they had to be to not bump when banking. Even now after several years of playing I'll sometimes reveal a maneuver during a tournament and then ask my opponent if he'll let me check if another maneuver would have fit. Good luck!

Definitely second 'earning your wings' and the 'pinwheel formation' - fly multiple ships in a formation acting as a smaller number of larger ships.

Also; if you and your opponent are closing on one another, alway, always, guess the slower of the two speeds you're thinking of dialing in.

I'm relatively new to the game, and working on developing my flying skills as well.  My technique (for now) is to take a list where the ships have lots of maneuvers (and additional movement actions such as barrel-roll, boost, and cloak), and just focus on not running into stuff.  I can worry about actually destroying ships later, once I've mastered the basics.

Currently, the biggest issue I'm having is just remembering to take PS into consideration when planning my maneuvers.  I tend to pick maneuvers that would work well if I did them in a different order, but end up overlapping when done in the proper, legal order.

14 hours ago, ArcaneSpringbrd said:

I can't help but get frustrated over my own screwups. I swear, ever game we've played well over half of my own ships overlap with something (I'm normally playing Imperials). Any recommendations?  I'm almost to the point of just going with super-elite ships with lots of upgrades so I don't keep tripping on my own feet.

It's definitely one of the most frustrating problems because it's entirely of your own making!

That 'minds eye' view of where things are going to be takes time to develop, and along the way you learn to start making decisions like "I'm not sure I'll be ok or not" based on how much it's going to screw you to get it wrong... is a risk worth taking or should you play it safe? 

Big thing for me is once dials are down, just have a final mental check that movement order isn't going to mess you up.

13 hours ago, Boom Owl said:

Practice. Put shield tokens around 12 rocks on a map as close to rocks as possible. Put the rocks close at range 1 of each other.

Pretend your favorite ship is hungry hungry hippo and overlap the shields to collect them.

Collect all the shields in the fewest possible moves and without overlapping any rocks. Use barrel rolls or boosts as necessary.

Make sure to actually set your dial.

Completely restart if you overlap a rock. Dont just change it to what works. Restart.

When you can do that do it with three ships at the same time, put the shields in the same general area and dont overlap your other ships either.

Also this is my 666th post. 

Happy Halloween i guess?

Woooooooh back it up Boom Owl. Have you just invented an X-Wing Variant? Oh my glob you could do pac-man in same style have other people play as the ghosts, and can kill you by bumping.

Edited by the1hodgy

Mission F2: The Raid

It is very quick to set up and play (if you do the 36pts version vs the 100pts version), can be played solo and requires that, as the attacker, you are able to land your ship on top of small'ish tokens while avoiding getting blasted by the defender. If you mis-judge the final position, you get punished (by stress).

Just tweak it to allow you to fly what ship type you are interested in practicing and  have fun. I do this to get to know how a new ship handles better.

Edited by kris40k

It's also worth remembering a few rules of thumb - for instance, if a rock is outside your firing arc, you cannot land on it with a bank manouevre.  A small base 2 or 3 bank manoeuvre will put your ship outside the width of your own base.  A 1 turn on a large base actually rotates around a point the wide of the base plastic in from the top and relevant side.

Etc.  It's worth just spending some time with the templates working out how long and wide the various moves are and how they string together.

26 minutes ago, spamdex said:

I know you fly imperials but Just fly dash. He doesnt care if he overlaps stuff , apart from that it just takes loads of practice 

That's not really good advice, actually.   If someone is struggling in math, you wouldn't tell them, "Just get a calculator!"  It may help with a specific issue, but it doesn't help you improve.

9 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

That's not really good advice, actually.   If someone is struggling in math, you wouldn't tell them, "Just get a calculator!"  It may help with a specific issue, but it doesn't help you improve.

It wasnt meant to be serious thats why i added the practice part at the end  . Theres already plenty of decent advice that has been posted before mine . 

23 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

if a rock is outside your firing arc, you cannot land on it with a bank manouevre

I did not know that.  Is that both small and large base?

23 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

A 1 turn on a large base actually rotates around a point the wide of the base plastic in from the top and relevant side.

That wording was confusing.  Basically it's a forward pivot.

Edited by gennataos

I don't play much, and i have landed my interceptors on rocks a few times.

I improved a lot, just with the knowledge that the speed on templates is equal to the number of bases (small) it moves.

I know, it sounds obvious, but it wasn't for me :) It was a revelation!