Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shosur0

Art Question.

27 posts in this topic

Hi there guys.

Im a big fan of some of the old art from the TCG. It was really great seeing some of that art come back like Mario Wibisono's Kakita Asami. My favourite artist from the old card game is Michael Komarck though and we've seen nothing from him afaik. He has some done some stunning charaters like Doji Seo or Mirumoto Etsuya that really deserve to be in the new LCG.  Wondering if you guys know if FFG has the rights to all images from the old game so there's hope I/we will see some art from him in the future.

Edit: Art direction so far is great. Cards are really beautiful. So keep up the good work FFG.

Edited by Shosur0

No FFG don't have all rights becasue AEG had different contracts for various artists. And seems that they used CCG era arts in Core Set only, none of spoiled Imperial Cycle cards have reused art - all are new. 

OsramTaleka likes this

11 minutes ago, Ide Yoshiya said:

Fixed. ;)

Haha. Yeh I know. Well I wouldnt mind seeing Doji Seo around even if they changed her name ;).

8 minutes ago, kempy said:

No FFG don't have all rights becasue AEG had different contracts for various artists. And seems that they used CCG era arts in Core Set only, none of spoiled Imperial Cycle cards have reused art - all are new. 

Thanks! Aww bummer. Well, I guess since I dont really know the details, there's always place for hope. :P

Ide Yoshiya and OsramTaleka like this

I wes told by multiple people that FFG owns the vast majority of the art starting from the Diamond Edition era, but almost nothing from the Clan War, Scorpion Clan Coup or Hidden Emperor eras (as in, the first few years of the game).

No official confirmation, though. I, too, hope to see some Michael Komarck art.  This would have looked so much better, for example:

l8wjCDC.png

6 hours ago, Togashi Gao Shan said:

I wes told by multiple people that FFG owns the vast majority of the art starting from the Diamond Edition era, but almost nothing from the Clan War, Scorpion Clan Coup or Hidden Emperor eras (as in, the first few years of the game).

No official confirmation, though. I, too, hope to see some Michael Komarck art.  This would have looked so much better, for example:

l8wjCDC.png

I like the new art for Mirumoto Raitsugu.  However, that is pretty darn boss!

6 hours ago, Duciris said:

I like the new art for Mirumoto Raitsugu.  However, that is pretty darn boss!

I like the concept of Raitsugu's art. The execution...not so much.

The art I used was on an Ol5R card 'Mirumoto Etsuya'. Sadly, it wasn't a very good card. It would be nice if such great art were actually on a card that sees a lot of play (as Raitsugu does).

4 minutes ago, yujufrazer said:

i seen that Drew Baker was doing art work for the new game which made me excited.

Any Drew work would be reprinted. I'm absolutely certain Drew will not be working with FFG in the foreseeable future - he's outright stated as much.

I would really-really like to see Matsu Miyahara's art in the new L5R:

image.jpg

Her card back from the Lotus days:

matsu_miyahara.jpg

For me no other art captured the frenzied and borderline psychotic spirit of the Matsu better than this. Ever.

16 minutes ago, Serazu said:

Matsu do not tend to live long, anyway :-)

But they aren't so easy to kill anyway.

jpeg

Edited by kempy

7 hours ago, Hordeoverseer said:

Is there a card maker online or was that card made thanks to elite photoshop skills?

Matsu Ushio? That's a real card from the CCG. The alt-art Raitsugu was probably Photoshopped.

Edited by Kakita Shiro

20 hours ago, Hordeoverseer said:

Is there a card maker online or was that card made thanks to elite photoshop skills?

Which card? If you mean the Raitsugu, I don't have 'elite Photoshop skills', to put it mildly.

Wintersong made some blank card templates way back in May and I've been making some more. I then just use paint.net most of the time to make the alt-art cards.

Here's a link to Wintersong's templates:  https://imgur.com/a/fUZxi

Hordeoverseer likes this

5 hours ago, Togashi Gao Shan said:

Which card? If you mean the Raitsugu, I don't have 'elite Photoshop skills', to put it mildly.

Wintersong made some blank card templates way back in May and I've been making some more. I then just use paint.net most of the time to make the alt-art cards.

Here's a link to Wintersong's templates:  https://imgur.com/a/fUZxi

Thank you. Now I need to find a way to duplicate the text and icons.

1 hour ago, Hordeoverseer said:

Thank you. Now I need to find a way to duplicate the text and icons.

I'm on mobile right now, but some time by tomorrow, I'll upload the icons I've isolated and made into small .png images.

Also, I'll see if I can find the link for the font that closely approximates the card titles.

Hordeoverseer likes this

Ok, the title font is (very close to) 'brushtipTexe'.  You may be able to find  free trial version of the font online.

The skill numbers, fate cost, and glory number is the 'forte' font.

Text box uses either Arial, or something close to it.

Here's an album with some icons I've made quick n dirty .png's of, and a few custom templates (including Brotherhood of Shinsei, and Shadowlands)  https://imgur.com/gallery/GkpF2

Edited by Togashi Gao Shan
Akodo Tetsuo likes this