Sign in to follow this  
Xargonaut

Rebel ships stripe colors

Hey guys, I have a question for you Star Wars experts. :-)  I wonder if there is any significance behind the accent color of rebel ships. I notice that x-wings and T-47s have orange stripes, a-wing got burgundy and y-wing are yellow striped.

Any reason for this? Have other colors been seen? I ask because I wonder how much I can move away from the traditional paint scheme for my future Legion T-47, while remaining "canon", hehe.

Generally it's considered Squadron identification markings. 

There's also old(ish) stuff suggesting that red markings were to ID diplomatic ships.

The old republic used red markings in the clone wars, so the Rebellion might be indicating they feel they still represent the republic.

Finally the Rebs use whatever they can get, so some odd panel colors might just be salvaged parts from other craft that never got repainted...

The T-47 as seen in the films had two color stripes, orange for Rogue Squadron, and Grey for Rogue Leader (Luke in that battle). But generally they are squadron markers, going by the old X-Wing game rebel ships generally came in Red, Blue, Gold/Yellow, Green squadrons. And then with Rogue One's Partisans X-Wings and Saw's U-Wing black and white is also an option if you wanted to do a Partisan themed army. 

34533766614_5c42b6ef52_b.jpg

403-404-bts-gallery-12_8ecef2c4.jpeg?reg

The previews for Rebels Season 4 show green-marked X-wings - probably Green Squadron.

Phoenix Squadron used quite a mix - many ships were red, white, and blue (with varying patterns - some blue with white stripes, some white with blue stripes). Some were white with green markings, and Hera's A-Wing was grey with white central stripe and red accents.

Blue Squadron Y-Wings in Rebels have blue cockpits - but the rest of their markings are mostly red.

Edited by Ironlord

4 hours ago, Ironlord said:

The previews for Rebels Season 4 show green-marked X-wings - probably Green Squadron.

Phoenix Squadron used quite a mix - many ships were red, white, and blue (with varying patterns - some blue with white stripes, some white with blue stripes). Some were white with green markings, and Hera's A-Wing was grey with white central stripe and red accents.

Blue Squadron Y-Wings in Rebels have blue cockpits - but the rest of their markings are mostly red.

These?

34d6359f85fe067779a1f1f81b48217d.png3af8d94d02ca0a64d03954918186e876.jpghttps://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/starwarsrebels/images/8/8a/The_Siege_of_Lothal_Concept_Art_23.jpeg/revision/latest?

cb=20150621030820https://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/starwarsrebels/images/6/63/The_Protector_of_the_Concord_Dawn_Concept_Art_09.jpeg/revision/latest?cb=20160128015244

pat-presley-302-ppresley-y-wing-bva-sop.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/starwarsrebels/images/8/80/Zero_Hour_Concept_Art_02.jpeg/revision/latest?cb=20170326033341

30 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

These?

That's pretty much everything, yes. I think I recall green-marked Y-Wings in Zero Hour as well, but I'm not certain.

It's interesting to see how Y-Wings got refitted:

b42df852f5f60ba08453008c7c28e55d.jpg

c14b21dc7c0f47d06a8841a89de6a0b7--star-w

I think the Steps Into Shadow ones are two-seater, and the Zero Hour ones are single-seater - with the turret being repositioned, and now controlled from the cockpit. I'm not sure if the ion turret is now stationary like in the BTL-A4 upgrade - it's used in Secret Cargo and is only seen to fire forward, at least, as I recall.

Edited by Ironlord

10 hours ago, Ironlord said:

That's pretty much everything, yes. I think I recall green-marked Y-Wings in Zero Hour as well, but I'm not certain.

It's interesting to see how Y-Wings got refitted:

b42df852f5f60ba08453008c7c28e55d.jpg

c14b21dc7c0f47d06a8841a89de6a0b7--star-w

I think the Steps Into Shadow ones are two-seater, and the Zero Hour ones are single-seater - with the turret being repositioned, and now controlled from the cockpit. I'm not sure if the ion turret is now stationary like in the BTL-A4 upgrade - it's used in Secret Cargo and is only seen to fire forward, at least, as I recall.

They are, from what I remember, I think the crew working on the show wanted to sort of show the progression of the Clone Wars Y-wing to the GCW Y-wing.

open-uri20150608-27674-4lkl34_76727e8a.j

Personally, I sort of more prefer the old cross sections one, just because it looks more sleek, but the above image does fit more inline with the Clones Wars aesthetic. 

a7mra9q.jpg

Anyways, I cant' wait to see how people start painting stuff for this game. I probably will end up going with the classic orange look personally, but if not I might instead go with a green stripe, I've always liked the look of the green squadron A-wings from the X-wing game series:

maxresdefault.jpg