Nytwyng

Wiping away a proud GM Dad tear...

Our 15 year old son has, over the past (nearly) 2 years joined into four of the SWRPG campaigns that I and/or my wife play in or run. He's having a blast, and has impressed one of the other GM's tremendously (who tells him that he may be the best roleplayer in all of the groups he runs).

A month or two ago, he came to us with the idea of starting an RPG club at his school. Over dinner tonight, he and I started tossing some ideas back and forth, and now, here we sit in the computer room, with him making notes on how he plans to port some ideas from Half Life over into the SWRPG, asking for advice on how to reskin existing elements, GM tips, and the like. He's looking over the Essential Atlas to find a world to set the lab on (and is eyeing Tund closely).

It's a good night.

I whole heartedly recommend the Tion Cluster as a whole to look at if he's planning to run a game - it almost literally has every plot hook in the setting available to it. It's about halfway between old Sith Space & Hutt Space, has birthed multiple historic conquerors and warlords, joined the Seperatists in the Clone Wars, is literally next door to a forgotten Jedi stronghold from millennia ago, is situated on a major hyperspace lane, and even has a detailed map of the system available.

You can toss a bunch of written-down plot hooks that aren't tied to a specific planet into a paper bag, and whatever you draw out of it WILL be easy to tie to a planet in the system with just enough relevant lore to get your mind buzzing with inspiration, without actually limiting what you can do with it if there's a lore lawyer in your game.

Edited by Degenerate Mind

Just now, Norr-Saba said:

this is actually really wholesome to hear, i don't have any kids yet myself, but i would love it if my kids would some day enjoy tabletop in the same way that i do. Glad to hear that your son is so enthusiastic.

God forbid they be lured in by the false promises of the Deciever: the collective sum of mmorpgs.

Just now, Degenerate Mind said:

God forbid they be lured in by the false promises of the Deciever: the collective sum of mmorpgs.

we've all had our mmorpg phases, they provide instantaneous reward and more of a guarantee of playability that is not determined by the proclivities of group availability/unavailability, but inshallah if they are lured in by the darkness they will find their way back. 

16 hours ago, Nytwyng said:

Our 15 year old son has, over the past (nearly) 2 years joined into four of the SWRPG campaigns that I and/or my wife play in or run. He's having a blast, and has impressed one of the other GM's tremendously (who tells him that he may be the best roleplayer in all of the groups he runs).

A month or two ago, he came to us with the idea of starting an RPG club at his school. Over dinner tonight, he and I started tossing some ideas back and forth, and now, here we sit in the computer room, with him making notes on how he plans to port some ideas from Half Life over into the SWRPG, asking for advice on how to reskin existing elements, GM tips, and the like. He's looking over the Essential Atlas to find a world to set the lab on (and is eyeing Tund closely).

It's a good night.

Enjoy these times while you can,,, My eldest has flown the coop for Uni, so youngest has stepped in. We introduced to Edge - he opted for a Bounty Hunter (natch) and the way the GM introduced him into the narrative it took him FOUR SESSIONS to get to us, we were on the same planet, same spaceport... FOUR SESSIONS, memories that will last a life time:

So (name deleted), you see a squad of stormtroopers approaching the target you are being paid (Obligation) to protect -his PC was on the roof tailing the rest of the party but we had no idea he was there - what does your PC do?

My son replied with - 'I'll lob a stun grenade at the sergeant'... All **** breaks loose and chaos ensues for FOUR SESSIONS :lol:

I have no children myself, but my little sister has adopted much of my GMing philosophy into her own endeavors.  By contrast, my oldest gaming buddy (whom I've known since '86) is growing increasingly disheartened that his now-teenage son has pretty much zero interest in his father's hobbies.  So consider yourself fortunate (or maybe you're just that awesome; who knows).