Sign in to follow this  
Celestial Lizards

Is G4H a necessary purchase?

Seems like most people want Harpoons in their lists. As an Imp player, I never buy other faction's expansions, because I can usually trade with my brother. But he won't trade for this card, so I may have to get the expansion. But I need those GUNBOATs and Silencers and Lambdas and Interceptors... 

I’m pretty sure if the Harpoon Missiles are actually really good, they’ll be released in a new expansion. For example, Cruise Missiles were Scurrg only, but then got put in the GUNBOAT when Cruise Missiles were really good!

Eh...

My beef with imp harpoons is you have no good way to gchip crit results

This is important because if you combine fire with two harpoons and trigger the condition, you're basically going to kill or severly maul said target

But imp missile carries don't have native 3 dice primaries, apart from the defender which can't take it with x7 or use it with TIE/D's benefit 

I'm not totally sure myself. I don't fly a lot of scum casually as it is so I'm not sure about the purchase of more scum ships. Are they going to be competitive at all? A lot of question marks.

I'm not sold on harpoons, really. Potential to do good things, but... meh...

3 minutes ago, The Penguin UK said:

We've had one of our local players testing it at the club - he's one of the best in the country. Scurrg and 2 Kirgsjkfbbav's with them does about 18 damage in the initial joust. 

It's horrific.

Yeah that's the ticket

DEADEYE scum with gchips farting out crits + boba Fett utility on SCURRG 

Really works anyone over if they get shots

Edited by ficklegreendice

Just now, ficklegreendice said:

Yeah that's the ticket

DEADEYE scum with gchips farting out crits + boba Fett utility on SCURRG 

Really works anyone over if they get shots

You have PS10 Nym, Ps9 Talonbane and Jostero with Deadeye. All with Guidance Chips and Munitions Failsafe.

Nym and TB TL - and both fire. Nym hits, giving you Harpooned (and say 3 damage). Then TB shoots, doing another three, plus the face down for harpooned and another to the ship next to you. Then Jostero shoots with his normal attack into the ship next to you and finally harpoons the first ship doing more damage and triggering the splash again.

I dunno what FFG thought they were doing with harpoons. It should probably be unique (like Cruise Missiles). Although personally, I think all ordinance should require spending a TL...

Personally, no

Harpoons are all thats in there a non-scum player would care about and i dont really care for them. I've used them a fair bit and i rarely ever get the effect off when its a good time to do it, its always when that ship was off on its own or it hugged my face so i would risk damaging myself.

On paper theyre ridiculous but if you cant (didnt get the crit, they dodged it, etc) then it can be a real problem for you.

i still prefer cruise missiles. Plus, unless im running bombers the harpoons are generally JUST too expensive anyway.

30 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

Eh...

My beef with imp harpoons is you have no good way to gchip crit results

This is important because if you combine fire with two harpoons and trigger the condition, you're basically going to kill or severly maul said target

I've heard RAC is pretty good. 

51 minutes ago, The Penguin UK said:

You have PS10 Nym, Ps9 Talonbane and Jostero with Deadeye. All with Guidance Chips and Munitions Failsafe.

Nym and TB TL - and both fire. Nym hits, giving you Harpooned (and say 3 damage). Then TB shoots, doing another three, plus the face down for harpooned and another to the ship next to you. Then Jostero shoots with his normal attack into the ship next to you and finally harpoons the first ship doing more damage and triggering the splash again.

Oooh, now my interest is piqued. I'm looking for a new Scum list since my Mindlink Mangler Skycs were Murdered by FAQ. Care to share the list?

Edited by T70 Driver

39 minutes ago, Hawkstrike said:

Only if you want to fly Khiygvfy or StarVipers. 

Lots of good missiles and I'll bet Harpoons will get another release. 

So... yes, absolutely you must buy it!

Still makes me chuckle every time I see somebody spell “Kihraxz” by just typing the letter “K” and then Donkey Kong-punching their keyboard! 

Also makes me laugh that I’m still the only one who spells Kimogila “Caligula”.

Biggest problem with Guns for Hire is mathematical. 2 titles for each of the ships means I need other players to trade ships and titles with. Before buying it, I have 5 Kihraxz and 2 Vipers. Most of my friends who like these ships already have multiples.

How many do I buy and trade so I end up with 4 Vipers with titles and 5 Kihraxz with titles?

Just buy Palp & Autothrusters instead. Makes Harpoons range 2 only sometimes. 

Also if you dont have a Lamda shuttle yet drop what you are doing right now and go get one. 

If your lucky like me you will find one of those rare Lamda's that has horizontal wings and is wobbly on every base. 

Very disruptive for your opponent. 

LambdaShuttle_600px.gif

#SoImperial

Edited by Boom Owl

2 minutes ago, Sekac said:

He doesn't need to. Ace takes harpoons, he triggers them more reliably than almost anything else in the game. 

not true

he needs range 1-2 and a focus result, AND he has to fire after the harpoon ship

it's very easy to trigger harpoons more reliably and cheaply than cheri, you just need anything with deadeye, harpoons, and gchip crits. You also don't lose out on damage by replacing a harpoon attack with a 3-dice primary weapon.

Edited by ficklegreendice

9 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

yeah but then Dash can't HLC

and that's MORE than a fair trade for the one not playing them

Hmmmmm.....

Well, Miranda drops 5 hits, then Dash hits for 3 with at least 1 crit, then the condition goes off giving the ship a facedown damage card..  that's at most 9 hits plus a nasty crit.  That is one heck of an alpha strike, and if that crit is a direct hit then it's 10.

With low agility ships today the above scenario is not that unlikely.

Also, going to Mangler frees up points for Countermeasures for when someone wants to try and alpha Dash.

With so many high hit point ships today crits matter a lot more.

46 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

won't be an issue unless you're going to sanctioned events, because then you just use proxies or bring one card for reference

at least if your local group isn't incredibly uptight :wacko:

My group is fine. We often just use print outs anyway. But I intend to run my ships in tournaments too.