NeverBetTheFett

Don't make Boba Fett fix scum only!

On 10/27/2017 at 0:32 PM, Stompburger said:

How about:
-3 Points
Lose: +1 Block
Lose: Battle Presence
Gain: Professional (while attacking you may reroll 1 attack die)
Gain: Priority Target (figures do not block line of sight for your attacks)
Gain: "When you declare an attack, apply all 3 abilities from Battle Discipline, instead of choosing 1"
Gain: Captain Terro's Flamethrower ability, but it doesn't cost an action and does 1 additional damage.

I was idly pondering what a Boba fix would look like, this is pretty much what I was thinking too, specifically -3 points, getting all the Battle Discipline abilities and getting an actionless Flamethrower ability. `Professional and Priority Target are nice additions and losing the bonus block will make him fair. 

Uhhh there's temporary alliance to make him work with imperials, you know? XD

As for the fix, i would not like to see boba with abilities taken from other characters, i would like to fix what he already has in order to make him balanced and meta viable. Here's my idea:

Cost reduced from 13 to 9 (so that hey you can spend 1 more point to temp alliance);

Health changed from 12 to 13 (same as Terro);

Battle presence text changed into: "during your activation, you gain 1 damage token (from hote to be clear) when you move into a space containing an enemy figure. Limit once per round".

Now THAT would change a lot of things imho, especially considering the strongest point of Boba is his survivability, which now would fit very well with the modified text of BP.

Edited by erlucius90

16 minutes ago, erlucius90 said:

Uhhh there's temporary alliance to make him work with imperials, you know? XD

Cost reduced from 13 to 9 (so that hey you can spend 1 more point to temp alliance);

Temporary Alliance does not allow you to use Attachment cards from other factions. Wanting them to not make it "Scum Only" means that they want the fix attachment to be a neutral card.

1 minute ago, Stompburger said:

Temporary Alliance does not allow you to use Attachment cards from other factions. Wanting them to not make it "Scum Only" means that they want the fix attachment to be a neutral card.

Oh crap i forgot about that! You're right!

Donno why i was thinking at the deployment card, not at the attachment ?

Boba I think can be pretty fun with the new power tokens and they would represent his ability to adapt to any situation:

- At the start of your activation, gain 2 <? power tokens>
- After you defeat a figure, gain 1 <? power token>
- You may discard 2 power tokens to perform a free attack action during your turn
- Pierce increased to pierce 2.
- Some other minor change (remove or adjust battle presence. I'd keep Battle Discipline as is, because it works well with the <surge token>)

This way you can either make his (lackluster) attack a bit better, attack twice in a turn if needed (but at a cost) maybe even more if combined with some other cards.
It also presents fun dilemma's; do I spend 1 of my power tokens on this attack, hoping to kill the figure and gain a token back so I have 2 tokens again and can attack a second time this round? Do I not spend my token for the attack and just use it to attack a second time? There can be some balance changes as well (change first ability to gain 2 specific tokens or just 1 <?> token if it proves too good)
I don't think I want Boba to go down in deployment cost; he should be the most expensive bounty-hunter and a real pain to take down.

On 10/28/2017 at 1:19 PM, TauntaunScout said:

The FLGS has tons. If you are in the US I'm happy to send you one for $9.99 plus shipping.  

I'm always tempted to send them to our brothers who can't get them. It would have to be opened (to make it flatter) to be able to be shipped for cheaper. 

6 hours ago, NeverBetTheFett said:

I'm always tempted to send them to our brothers who can't get them. It would have to be opened (to make it flatter) to be able to be shipped for cheaper. 

Nah. I can fit one in a small box and it will still be underweight for First Class USPS. Which in the contiguous 48 usually means about $3. If you go right up to the weight limit (16oz) and ship far away, it might be more like $6... but at that point you'd be shipping several packs.

20 hours ago, NeverBetTheFett said:

One of the worst "death"* scenes in movie history! To give literature's greatest bounty hunter a "death" like this is terrible! :D

*he's alive. 

Actually, I kind of like this "Death". Who could have killed Boba, except for a ton of bad luck.

Thanks to @Bitterman's card generator, i'm working on a list of fixes for forgotten deployments, and Boba is among them.
Ofc i'm going to post them all once i'm done making them, atm i'll give you the fix i've been testing for Boba so that you can take a look and perhaps express an opinion!

Deployment Card - Mercenaries - Mandalorian Heritage (Skirmish Upgrade, Unique) [custom].png

15 minutes ago, erlucius90 said:

Thanks to @Bitterman's card generator, i'm working on a list of fixes for forgotten deployments, and Boba is among them.

Nice! Reducing Boba's cost significantly like that wasn't something I've considered before. I still don't like Battle Discipline being a pretty worthless part of his abilities.

If you'd like, take a look at my Skirmish Fixes document and feel free to comment there or in the thread here on the forum.

4 minutes ago, cnemmick said:

Nice! Reducing Boba's cost significantly like that wasn't something I've considered before. I still don't like Battle Discipline being a pretty worthless part of his abilities.

If you'd like, take a look at my Skirmish Fixes document and feel free to comment there or in the thread here on the forum.

Atm i'm working on Unique figures only, after those are completed i'll move on with regular and elites! :D
The document looks pretty nice and there are some things we fixed the same!
Gimme just a few time to complete them all and i'll place a reply to your thread with them all!

I don't like Battle Disciplice either, but i do like a lot Mandalorian Tactics, so in order to sustain its effectiveness, BD needs to stay put :|

Edited by erlucius90

I bet any Boba fix shall still price him at 13. This guy is supposed be the fiercest and priciest figure in the Scum faction akin to Darth Vader for the Empire or Jedi Luke for the Rebels.  He can be a total Luke rip-off with more versatility like the one attached.

Boba1.png

38 minutes ago, KReyloBen said:

I bet any Boba fix shall still price him at 13. This guy is supposed be the fiercest and priciest figure in the Scum faction akin to Darth Vader for the Empire or Jedi Luke for the Rebels.  He can be a total Luke rip-off with more versatility like the one attached.

Luke Jedi is not the biggest deployment card for the rebels, it's still Chewie, while on the Empire's side the greatest threat is definitely Palpatine, who costs 8 points only. Vader takes a different consideration because he's the chosen one, the strongest in the entire universe (till now, still waiting for the last jedi movie to go for more canon).
Being costy and being fierce are not the same thing xD
Plus, consider that each fix for a character has to consider his command card, so Boba has to be tied with Battle Discipline.
Apart from that, if Boba would cost more than IG-88 post fix, i'm pretty sure Boba still wouldn't be played, IG-88 is a freakin absolute monster, he deals a "black hole" of damage, runs like a Lamborghini and his command card is just like SoS, which is the strongest command card in the game (so basically you are very happy to get 3 damage at the end of the round if you can activate once more and basically remove Vader from the table).
In order to be as competitive as IG-88, Boba has to cost fewer than the droid :|

3 hours ago, erlucius90 said:

Ofc i'm going to post them all once i'm done making them, atm i'll give you the fix i've been testing for Boba so that you can take a look and perhaps express an opinion!

Deployment Card - Mercenaries - Mandalorian Heritage (Skirmish Upgrade, Unique) [custom].png

Interesting. Makes him viable and effective without adding a free focus or attack like the new fixes. 

Edited by NeverBetTheFett

Boba shouldn't be as expensive as Hater Vader or Jedi Luke, as he is neither the chosen one nor his son. But neither should IG be on that level, just from a fluff point of view. Points costs of 10 to 12 would be OK, but I doubt any point cost reduction.

- I like "You lose Battle Presence." I actually really like the ability, but I makes some game situations too complicated. And he has to lose something, so it should be that.

- Boba absolutely needs "Professional" for obvious reasons. No matter what else is changed, this one is a must.

- He should have Terro's Flamethrower and Shyla's Mandalorian Whip. As he cannot use all this goodness at once, this should not be at high cost. An additional once per game backpackmissilelauncher would be great, too, maybe as a new Command Card.

- He should have some kind of extra attack. I'd love him to be "Heroic", but he is not really a hero, so I doubt that. "Assault" would be OK instead, but then he would need some extra move like IG, and Assault would make his Command Card obsolete, so I doubt that too. Maybe instead he should be able to draw or re-draw his Command Card at the start of his activation, and it's either reduced to 1 action or Boba gains a free move, when he uses it. Maybe his Command Card's cost should be reduced in that process.

TL,DR.

Lose Battle Presence.

Gain Professional, Flamethrower and Mandalorian Whip.

You may re-draw Mandalorian Tactics from the discard pile at the start of your activation.

Spend 1 action to use Mandalorian Tactics instead of 2.

At the start of the game, if Mandalorian Tactics is not in your Command deck, put Mandalorian Tactics on your discard pile for free.

Edited by DerBaer

35 minutes ago, DerBaer said:

TL,DR.

Lose Battle Presence.

Gain Professional, Flamethrower and Mandalorian Whip.

You may re-draw Mandalorian Tactics from the discard pile at the start of your activation.

Spend 1 action to use Mandalorian Tactics instead of 2.

At the start of the game, if Mandalorian Tactics is not in your Command deck, put Mandalorian Tactics on your discard pile for free.

And there you have your 20 cost Godda Fett!
Wanna give him a second defense die aswell? :blink:
That's totally over the OP definition, out of every scale

56 minutes ago, DerBaer said:

- He should have Terro's Flamethrower and Shyla's Mandalorian Whip. As he cannot use all this goodness at once, this should not be at high cost. An additional once per game backpackmissilelauncher would be great, too, maybe as a new Command Card.

Why wouldn't he use both of them? He can grab with the Whip and attack, use fleet footed to move one point and then flamethrower, jackpot. You have no idea of how insane this thing would be.

1 hour ago, DerBaer said:

- He should have some kind of extra attack. I'd love him to be "Heroic", but he is not really a hero, so I doubt that. "Assault" would be OK instead, but then he would need some extra move like IG, and Assault would make his Command Card obsolete, so I doubt that too. Maybe instead he should be able to draw or re-draw his Command Card at the start of his activation, and it's either reduced to 1 action or Boba gains a free move, when he uses it. Maybe his Command Card's cost should be reduced in that process.

1 action: Strike Twice + 2nd action move 6 with mobility (or 2 actions: strike twice and move freely) + redraw the command card
Likely 3 times stronger than SoS

- Boba absolutely needs "Professional" for obvious reasons. No matter what else is changed, this one is a must.

Another figure who can reroll for free...yey!...:(
I swear, if FFG fixes damage again by giving free rerolls, i punch their faces. Rerolls have evolved from a rare, super rewarding ability to something so far common in every list. *how to destroy unique mechanics (and makes the game boring aswell if everyone just have all the same old sheep)*
Wanna boost his damage? Freakin boost his surges and/or give him +1 passive damage, or again use your game mechanics (not focus, thanks)!

I think an extra attack would be great with Heroic, but I like the idea of "Villainous" letting him perform a special action without costing an action instead. Over-use of the Heroic ability will hurt the game, but I would agree that he needs Professional. 

Villainous would be especially good with his Speed 6 if you gave him all the things that came with his armor; the flamethrower, the rocket-launcher, and the mandalorian whip. I think the whip shouldn't proc an attack like Shyla's, but instead causes strain and stuns a target figure like how he ensnared Luke in RotJ. He could move a bit, trigger a free special action, perform an attack, and then move away again. At his current 13pts I don't think that's OP. If a player is in a good position, they could do two special actions and perform an attack, but then that's not Boba Fett's fault, its the opponent's.

Edited by Smashotron

No matter what tey do, I'd much prefer him to be the center of Scum lists, rather than IG-88. Cool with IG being center of Droid lists, but right now this is scums only 'powerhouse' unique. While rebels have 3 (if you count Chewie) and imperial have 1½ if you count Emperor. Scum does have a handful of solid cheap and midrange uniques though, but not really something to build around like Luke/Vader.

I think it's gotta be tough to find additional dice rolling modification mechanics that don't over-complicate & slow down gameplay. Adding rerolls is a really easy way to make a strategy dice-rolling game more about strategy and less about dice-rolling. But I agree that it shouldn't be overused.

3 hours ago, erlucius90 said:

And there you have your 20 cost Godda Fett!

Actually, I don't think so. This Boba has less health than Vader, waaay less defense than Vader, overall the same move like Vader (activation plus end of turn). Force Choke is better than both Flamethrower and Mandalorian Whip, rry does more damage than bgy, Vader has better Surges (except for Recover), both have a reroll, both can attack twice ... actually for 13 points I'd still really think twice about playing him.