Sign in to follow this  
Boba Rick

Does the damage card from the HARPOONED! condition activate Captain Jostero?

I don't think it does, but I thought I'd check.

Case in point:

Ship A fires a Harpoon missile and hits the Ghost, it is now harpooned.  Ship B shoots the Ghost and lands a crit, activating the Harpoon condition.  The Ghost discards the Harpooned condition card and takes a facedown damage card.

When the Ghost receives that face down damage card is it considered part of Ship B's attack, or is the Ghost receiving damage outside of the attack?  It is automatic damage, following the discard of the condition card, which would lead me to think it does occur outside of the attack.  But on the other hand the damage is coming as a result of that attack.

What think ye?

swx73-10.png    swx73-harpooned.png    image.png

2 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

Yes it would

Despite the trigger being during an attack, the "splash damage" is not the attack. Its a card doing it.

I know the splash damage will activate Jostero, but my question is about the additional card the original target receives. 

Thanks though.

You suffer damage...  then you are dealt damage cards.  So dealing cards skips suffering damage.

Sheesh.

Hey, quick question: I can check range to all enemy ships BEFORE declaring my target, right?  I'm just going over the timing chart and that stood out to me:

1. “Declare Target” step:

i. Measure range to enemy ships and check attacker's firing arc.

ii. Attacker chooses weapon.

iii. Declare target of the attack.

iv. Pay cost to perform the attack (if applicable).

v. Target of the attack becomes the defender.

55 minutes ago, Boba Rick said:

I don't think it does, but I thought I'd check.

Case in point:

Ship A fires a Harpoon missile and hits the Ghost, it is now harpooned.  Ship B shoots the Ghost and lands a crit, activating the Harpoon condition.  The Ghost discards the Harpooned condition card and takes a facedown damage card.

When the Ghost receives that face down damage card is it considered part of Ship B's attack, or is the Ghost receiving damage outside of the attack?  It is automatic damage, following the discard of the condition card, which would lead me to think it does occur outside of the attack.  But on the other hand the damage is coming as a result of that attack.

What think ye?

swx73-10.png    swx73-harpooned.png    image.png

Just for the sake of clarification.  Seems like the answer would be no for two different reasons.

1.  The Ghost did not "suffer damage" from the Harpooned! (don't forget the !) condition, it was dealt a damage card.

2.  The Ghost is still defending against an attack.  Jostero does not specify the damage has to be from the attack but only that the ship is not defending.  Seems like Harpooned! would trigger around step 7 of the timing chart and the Ghost is still definitely defending against an attack at that point.

Dealing is different because it bypasses shields. As a result its not the same as Suffering which would trigger shield damage, concurrently would trigger Jostero.
I actually forgot the harpoon did a facedown damage card to the target ship. That wouldnt trigger jostero, correct.

On ‎27‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 5:48 PM, Vineheart01 said:

Dealing is different because it bypasses shields. As a result its not the same as Suffering which would trigger shield damage, concurrently would trigger Jostero.
I actually forgot the harpoon did a facedown damage card to the target ship. That wouldnt trigger jostero, correct.

I guess your fully wrong about the Suffer / Deal Damage card. Suffer or Deal will not trigger the Jostero Ability.
TLT make the defender suffer 1 damage and doesn't trigger jostero ability.
So Sorry, in both case, the ability isn't trigger. it could only be trigger against a ship at range 1 of the defender !
That only the fact that you are health is going lower without defending against it that trigger Jostero.

Question might be more tricky if vader (crew) was in the same faction.

13 minutes ago, futil said:

I guess your fully wrong about the Suffer / Deal Damage card. Suffer or Deal will not trigger the Jostero Ability.
TLT make the defender suffer 1 damage and doesn't trigger jostero ability.
So Sorry, in both case, the ability isn't trigger. it could only be trigger against a ship at range 1 of the defender !
That only the fact that you are health is going lower without defending against it that trigger Jostero.

Question might be more tricky if vader (crew) was in the same faction.

TLT is an attack, the harpoon condition effect is not an attack. The ship is defending from an attack, so Jostero cannot trigger ("...enemy ship that is not defending from an attack")
The splat damage on Harpooned! straight up says "Suffers 1 damage" which triggers Jostero. The carrier of the Harpooned! condition "receives 1 facedown damage card" which is NOT suffers a damage or critical damage to trigger jostero.
Jostero's ability specifically says "After an enemy ship that is not defending from an attack suffers damage or critical damage"

Fully wrong about what? Suffer or Deal will not trigger Jostero? Explain to me how Suffering damage doesnt trigger him when he straight up says that word for word (and includes critical damage). He does NOT mention damage dealt which is why the facedown from harpooned! doesnt trigger him. Plus, the ship was defending from an attack anyway so it cant trigger his ability even if did cause a Suffer instead of Dealt damage.

There is a huge, HUGE difference between suffering and dealing damage. Learn the differences before you flatout contradict someone.

The vader crew comment is moot because of faction stuff but if timing happened when the ship wasnt the defender anymore and thus not "defending from an attack" he would trigger it, as he causes them to suffer a critical. But i think hes still technically a defender in an attack at that point.

Edited by Vineheart01

1 minute ago, Vineheart01 said:

There is a huge, HUGE difference between suffering and dealing damage. Learn the differences before you flatout contradict someone.

You should probably note yourself that the difference is between suffering damage, and dealing damage cards, not just dealing damage.  It's a minor but important distinction.

Just now, thespaceinvader said:

You should probably note yourself that the difference is between suffering damage, and dealing damage cards, not just dealing damage.  It's a minor but important distinction.

dealing damage cards is kinda implied because what are you dealing? a card.

Fortunately, that distinction is currently preserved, and FFG always use 'suffer damage' vs 'deal (faceup or facedown) cards'.  If they ever used the term 'deal damage' without using the word 'cards' it could get more confusing.  I hope they don't...

But since we're picking nits, I thought it apt to point out that you weren't picking that one quite right ;)

I know the difference about the Deal / suffer damage.
Harpooned condition trriger around step 7.5 in the timmeing chart. So the card is deal when the ship is still defending. 

So whatever trigger is done during this step, deal card, assign card, remove shield or suffer damage, the ability of joustero will NOT be trigger.

1 minute ago, futil said:

I know the difference about the Deal / suffer damage.
Harpooned condition trriger around step 7.5 in the timmeing chart. So the card is deal when the ship is still defending. 

So whatever trigger is done during this step, deal card, assign card, remove shield or suffer damage, the ability of joustero will NOT be trigger.

Correct.

Jostero doesn't trigger off the facedown damage dealt to the defender for two different reasons - because they're defending, and because they're being dealt a damage card, not suffering damage.

He triggers fine off the splash damage though, because that's not being suffered by the defender, and is suffered by those taking it, rather than them being dealt cards.

2 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

Or just use Advanced Sensors, VI, Seismic, Seismic, EM, Genius.

that doesn't trigger at long range, which means you're going to have to fenangle things and possibly expose Jost to a round of fire before his ability ever triggers

with trajectory, you can swoop in and hair-ball a bomb out and then double down on harpoons (seismic --> trigger deadeye jost --> PS 10 harpoon from nym) for a rather dreadful alpha strike on the opening round of dice rolling

feedback array is also range 1 limited and hurts yourself and shuts off your attack etc.

Edited by ficklegreendice

6 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

Or just use Feedback Array

No defender for that one. Zap. GO JOSTERO GO!

On ships other than Jostero, sure.

6 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

that doesn't trigger at long range, which means you're going to have to fenangle things and possibly expose Jost to a round of fire before his ability ever triggers

with trajectory, you can swoop in and hair-ball a bomb out and then double down on harpoons (seismic --> trigger deadeye jost --> PS 10 harpoon from nym) for a rather dreadful alpha strike on the opening round of dice rolling

feedback array is also range 1 limited and hurts yourself and shuts off your attack etc.

You're assuming a lot about how launching works.

Hopefully we'll find out if you're right tomorrow.