Sign in to follow this  
Nephlim24

Armor is the trump word

I was kind of hoping the T-47 wasn't going to get the armor keyword. That thing is going to be tough to bring down, white def with surge is ok. But it's the same def for the AT-ST which makes me feel like without more than one major impact weapon a list can very easily get over run with AtRT's and T-47's 

I wasn't hoping they'd avoid big speeders altogether, as they just don't mesh well with the squad-level combat game. 

Movement is the most important aspect of any wargame and if you give something great movement and good defense, that's gonna be tough to beat. 

No worries,  in Dust Warfare the Russians had very little to bring down enemy tanks.  Most of my Russian lists only through a couple dice from one of my units, and that was at close range.  And my son and I were able to win games and tourneys.  Its about OBJECTIVE, just like in Dust.  Sure your enemy may run around with a speeder that can't be touched, or an ATST that you may not have an answer for.  But the game is not a game of attrition.  At times we would just stay away from the big tanks rolling down the board.  Remember- speeders and ATSTs can't take objectives.  And Im sure speeders can't shoot at troops that are under a roof.  So maybe building an army that has priority on what side of the table you may chose will work into your list that does not have much to combat heavys.

Russian choppers and German airplanes were also a ***** to deal with if you did not have much Anti planes in your list, but there are always ways around it.

One last thing_  those speeders may be tough to fly getting its front arc in sight of your mobile troops.  The turn radius might not be that tight- meaning out of 6 rounds it may only be able to get shots off half the rounds!

7 minutes ago, cookluke5150 said:

No worries,  in Dust Warfare the Russians had very little to bring down enemy tanks.  Most of my Russian lists only through a couple dice from one of my units, and that was at close range.  And my son and I were able to win games and tourneys.  Its about OBJECTIVE, just like in Dust.  Sure your enemy may run around with a speeder that can't be touched, or an ATST that you may not have an answer for.  But the game is not a game of attrition.  At times we would just stay away from the big tanks rolling down the board.  Remember- speeders and ATSTs can't take objectives.  And Im sure speeders can't shoot at troops that are under a roof.  So maybe building an army that has priority on what side of the table you may chose will work into your list that does not have much to combat heavys.

Russian choppers and German airplanes were also a ***** to deal with if you did not have much Anti planes in your list, but there are always ways around it.

One last thing_  those speeders may be tough to fly getting its front arc in sight of your mobile troops.  The turn radius might not be that tight- meaning out of 6 rounds it may only be able to get shots off half the rounds!

Agreed.  A unit that can't claim objectives and can't line up shots is a unit that can be ignored.  With a limited turning radius and a mandatory move, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out roughly where a speeder is going to be pointed next turn.  Run for cover or, barring that, run straight towards the speeder.  You want to be out of line of sight or in cover.  Being behind a unit with a fixed front arc (which I think the speeder has?) is the ideal spot to be.

25 minutes ago, cookluke5150 said:

Some one gets it. 

31 minutes ago, HaranHaste said:

the T-47 seems to me to be something you would just buzz across the battlefield hitting whatever is in front of you instead of trying to target specific units or objectives. 

True, but that seems like it would be a bad tactic.  You generally don't want to let your opponent dictate your target...  which is what you will do if you just fly forward and shoot whatever is in arc.

Doesn't the movement tool rotate 90 degrees? The Airspeeder should be able to turn decently well. 

I think the downside is that you have to resist its natural tendency to overextend. Even with Armor and Cover 1, it's not going to live very long if you fly it such that it's in range of the entire enemy army and is the only thing they've got to shoot at.

The AT-ST and speeder both have Arsenal 2, which if my understanding of the blurry blown up text is correct I think it says when they attack they can attack with two weapons, so whatever they hit is going to be hit pretty hard. Still as others had said the speeder might be mobile but the forced mobility will hamper it abit, especially since it has a range 1-3 where as the AT-ST has range 1-4 for its generic ranged attack. Meaning that you can just use the AT-ST as a artillery piece to hit the rebel troopers hard as they try to approach the objective to pin them down or slow them down while your storm troopers get into position or ideally are working to getting the objective. 

Seems pretty clear to me. You take a little anti-armor in all your lists. I think you can add a trooper to your mandatory 3 squads for 20ist points a pop that comes with Impact. Or you take an AT-ST or T-47. 

I think it will be fun and interesting trying to deal with enemy armor. 

58 minutes ago, KrisWall said:

True, but that seems like it would be a bad tactic.  You generally don't want to let your opponent dictate your target...  which is what you will do if you just fly forward and shoot whatever is in arc.

well yes, you don't want your opponent to dictate your target, but with a compulsory movement, you have to be planning where you will be heading a couple turns in the future. I guess you could just do 90 degree turns to focus on one target, but it would be pretty easy to move the units to not be in arc.