Sign in to follow this  
keraun0s

We need new commanders

On 10/26/2017 at 8:37 AM, KrisWall said:

Then again, "Commanders" are optional in Runewars.  They aren't in Legion.

That was an appealing rule in Runewars. Where are the army building rules/limits posted?

41 minutes ago, Omegaclone said:

That was an appealing rule in Runewars. Where are the army building rules/limits posted?

Someone got a picture of the force organization chart at Gen Con. I don't  recall where it is but the basic list building rules are:

800 points

1-2 Commanders

3-6 Corps (Rebel Troopers/Stormtroopers)

0-3 Support (AT-RT/Speederbikes)

0-3 Special Forces (None announced yet)

0-2 Heavy (T-47/AT-ST)

On 10/27/2017 at 6:17 PM, Dr Lucky said:

Someone got a picture of the force organization chart at Gen Con. I don't  recall where it is but the basic list building rules are:

800 points

1-2 Commanders

0-2 Heavy (T-47/AT-ST)

Awesome! Minimum of 3 Corps/Basic Trooper Squad interesting, wonder what the next Basic troops will be? 2 commanders means they’re gonna need some basic none hero types to lead armies around.

23 minutes ago, Omegaclone said:

Awesome! Minimum of 3 Corps/Basic Trooper Squad interesting, wonder what the next Basic troops will be? 2 commanders means they’re gonna need some basic none hero types to lead armies around.

I dont really know if thats smart though. A basic commander will be squishy, and you risk him getting assasinated to prevent orders.........

Flip side of that it may be a lot easier to hide a cheap commander down the back, using your list make up and long range comm scanners to ensure your command pool is always stacked the way you want.

A cheap commander would make it easier to split your forces. One to go after objects and one to distract your opponent from theirs. 

Also be cheaper than a hero and allow for more units or upgrades in your army.

This is all speculation, but I think we'll see something in the way of cheap "generic" commanders such as "Rebel commander" at a point price tag of half the hero commanders. And on that topic, in one video Alex mentioned Scout Troopers as Spec Ops. I could see that unit having 2-3 minis and costing around 75 points. But on the other side of things, they could have a Spec Ops unit like Chewbacca that is closer to 150 points. Because not all heros are commanders. Again, speculation. But i hope we see something like this.

Edited by AldousSnow

7 hours ago, AldousSnow said:

This is all speculation, but I think we'll see something in the way of cheap "generic" commanders such as "Rebel commander" at a point price tag of half the hero commanders. And on that topic, in one video Alex mentioned Scout Troopers as Spec Ops. I could see that unit having 2-3 minis and costing around 75 points. But on the other side of things, they could have a Spec Ops unit like Chewbacca that is closer to 150 points. Because not all heros are commanders. Again, speculation. But i hope we see something like this.

I've been guessing that we'll get some named characters as upgrades for units. Chewbacca doesn't seem like a good choice for a Commander but as an upgrade to a unit of Rebel Commandos (maybe replacing the unit leader figure) he could be pretty cool.

I could also see him as an upgrade to a Commander version of Han, where he acted as a second model in the Commander unit.

I guess I could also see him as a stand alone Special Forces unit, but that seems less exciting somehow.

Edited by Dr Lucky

1 hour ago, demon3o5z said:

I'm real on board with the idea of generic commanders. Seems there are others here who feel the same. How do we make this real clear to the designers?

You post here. They read the forums, so they know. They may not respond and they may not do what you want, but I'm certain you have been heard.

I realize that it can be frustrating though, not to get conformation that they have seen your feedback. The way companies handle social media interaction varies significantly and there are problems with both approaches. FF seems to take a very hands off approach. 

I honestly think non hero commanders is already going to be a thing. I really do. The two commander possibility is a bit intense if all commanders are in the 175 to 200 point range. Thats half an army point allotment for 2 characters.  I think we need to see what the rest of Wave 1 reveals, and hopefully it sheds some light on this.

2 hours ago, Basylle said:

You post here. They read the forums, so they know. They may not respond and they may not do what you want, but I'm certain you have been heard.

I realize that it can be frustrating though, not to get conformation that they have seen your feedback. The way companies handle social media interaction varies significantly and there are problems with both approaches. FF seems to take a very hands off approach. 

It's a big catch 22,

You listen and respond, then have posters expect it on every little issue diverting resources from the important ones and the the poster base gets volatile over how long it takes to implement (not to mention the forums rarely agree on a solution)

you listen and work on it in the background, making the poster base volatile because they feel they are being ignored

4 hours ago, Basylle said:

I’m that case, please ffg give us main characters as commanders, not lame generic characters.  I want han and Chewie, Lando, Reikan, Jyn Erso, saw gerrera etc.  make this game all about Star Wars, there is no reason to mimic other war games.  This is Star Wars and you already have your huge core of people that are buying this. 

5 hours ago, AldousSnow said:

I honestly think non hero commanders is already going to be a thing. I really do. The two commander possibility is a bit intense if all commanders are in the 175 to 200 point range. Thats half an army point allotment for 2 characters.  I think we need to see what the rest of Wave 1 reveals, and hopefully it sheds some light on this.

To be fair, I think this will be like Armada where the standard points increase once more items release. I bet the standard point total goes up to 1000 by Q3 2018. That will make two Commanders a lot easier. 

My must-have commanders.

Rebel:

• Han Solo (with his cool jacket)
  • Leia (in ESB commander uniform)
  • Ahsoka Tano (two white lightsabers...  12 white dice? :) )
  • Hera Syndulla
  • Wedge Antilles (In a t-47?  Fingers crossed for vehicle commanders)
  • General Dodonna (not great in combat but lots of command special abilities)
  • Cassian Andor (Maybe some sort of intelligence ability?  Switching enemy command tokens or something)

Imperial:

• THRAWN (Thrawn Thrawn Thrawn.)
  • Agent Kallus (I know he goes rebel but a model with his roman style helmet would be cool)
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Director Krennic (That cape)
  • Emperor Palpatine (maybe a little cheesy to have him leading troops but he is in Battlefront II)
  • Governor Tarkin (Shoot his own troops as an example)
  • Commander Karbin (The Mon Calamari version of General Grievous.  Look him up.  Seriously.)

13 hours ago, AldousSnow said:

The more I learn about this game the more I'm expecting this as well.

It seems like an interesting strategic decision. You can roll with Darth Vader for 200 points, or you can roll with 2 minor commanders for 75 points each (freeing up 50 points... and allowing for a 4th squad of Stromtroopers?) The risk is your Commanders are more likely to be taken out, but you can defend them better with more units. 

What's more, in terms of who Commanders could be... we could have "Generic Officer" or (as I suggested in another thread) it might be kind of cool to see minor expanded universe characters in this roll. Rae Sloane, as an example, is in no way as interesting as the movie characters. She would be a "no-name random" for 90% of players, but a need shout-out to those who have spent some time with the expanded universe.

Obviously not a priority... I want to see Krennic and Han Solo far more than Rae Sloane, but I see it as an opportunity to really open up character options. 

14 hours ago, AldousSnow said:

You have to remember though that our 2 heroes are top of pivotal faces for star wars.

Generic commands doesn't feel like ffg's style, i'm thinking more named non force users with minimal impact outside of commands......

1 hour ago, Ralgon said:

You have to remember though that our 2 heroes are top of pivotal faces for star wars.

Generic commands doesn't feel like ffg's style, i'm thinking more named non force users with minimal impact outside of commands......

Well they could release any named officer type and have a generic unnamed version of the them as well as the named version, like ships in X Wing, or the AT-ST/Dewbacks.

Would be a good move, Also doubles the purchases of any given commander type (potentially) 

To be honest, there's usually a good number of minor officers in the Star Wars universe. Maybe not as many now that they've tossed the EU, but still. There's plenty of background officers, ones from books, video games, tv shows, comics, etc. They have names and enough info to make cards but they're not major characters or anything. If anything, I expect something like that as a compromise. They're a lot cheaper, the same as the "generic" ones you guys have mentioned, but still have that name and flavor behind it.

Even if they don't go that route, I figure the cost of the commander reflects their strength/abilities. Not everyone is a force user, and not all of them- even Luke- are going to be as strong as Vader. 

On 10/27/2017 at 6:17 PM, Dr Lucky said:

800 points

1-2 Commanders

0-2 Heavy (T-47/AT-ST)

I was wondering if you could make a full list of nothing but a commander and troopers but from what I've seen where people talked about lists and costs, that may not be possible. Blast. On the plus side, I don't have an excuse to buy 12-15 packs of troopers now so at least my wallet is happy.

On 10/30/2017 at 10:44 PM, devin.pike.1989 said:

My must-have commanders.

Rebel:

• Han Solo (with his cool jacket)
  • Leia (in ESB commander uniform)
  • Ahsoka Tano (two white lightsabers...  12 white dice? :) )
  • Hera Syndulla
  • Wedge Antilles (In a t-47?  Fingers crossed for vehicle commanders)
  • General Dodonna (not great in combat but lots of command special abilities)
  • Cassian Andor (Maybe some sort of intelligence ability?  Switching enemy command tokens or something)

Imperial:

• THRAWN (Thrawn Thrawn Thrawn.)
  • Agent Kallus (I know he goes rebel but a model with his roman style helmet would be cool)
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Director Krennic (That cape)
  • Emperor Palpatine (maybe a little cheesy to have him leading troops but he is in Battlefront II)
  • Governor Tarkin (Shoot his own troops as an example)
  • Commander Karbin (The Mon Calamari version of General Grievous.  Look him up.  Seriously.)

Don't forget General Veers!

5 hours ago, HadeusHawkyns said:

To be honest, there's usually a good number of minor officers in the Star Wars universe. Maybe not as many now that they've tossed the EU, but still. There's plenty of background officers, ones from books, video games, tv shows, comics, etc. They have names and enough info to make cards but they're not major characters or anything. If anything, I expect something like that as a compromise. They're a lot cheaper, the same as the "generic" ones you guys have mentioned, but still have that name and flavor behind it.

Even if they don't go that route, I figure the cost of the commander reflects their strength/abilities. Not everyone is a force user, and not all of them- even Luke- are going to be as strong as Vader. 

This is what I'm looking forward to. Vader costs more than an AT-ST. The power of Vader and Luke is specifically designed to make them very, very powerful Commanders. I fully expect to see "Commanders" at half of their power or weaker. Then the question will be about what the trade-off is like. Is an extra set of speeder bikes, or  another two squads of Rebel Troopers, better than running Vader or Luke? Or perhaps two 75 point commanders with a ton of synergy between them open the door for more strategies.

I imagine lists will be pretty standard at first, but as more and more characters come out I think that Commander choice will really impact list building and I think that it is in the benefit of everyone to have cheaper commanders for more variety.

On 10/26/2017 at 8:38 AM, Sk3tch said:

Yes, it will be a problem until they announce Generic commanders. I am hoping they do soon. And I hope there are Generic/un named/faceless options for command, because I want it to be about troops and vehicles not Vader vs Luke or even worse, Vader vs Vader/ Luke vs Luke. I can handle empire vs empire if there's options for generic commander, makes enough sense Vader trying to stop a renegade stormtrooper faction or Luke and his group coming to blows partisan rebels. 

Good to see that I'm not the only one thinking this.

On 10/26/2017 at 8:50 AM, VAYASAN said:

Agreed in that I very much want there to be generic commanders.

It dosnt always have to be about the heroes.

True. Honestly, no-names just give me the opportunity to make up my own characters :)

On 10/31/2017 at 7:39 AM, Copes said:

The more I learn about this game the more I'm expecting this as well.

It seems like an interesting strategic decision. You can roll with Darth Vader for 200 points, or you can roll with 2 minor commanders for 75 points each (freeing up 50 points... and allowing for a 4th squad of Stromtroopers?) The risk is your Commanders are more likely to be taken out, but you can defend them better with more units. 

What's more, in terms of who Commanders could be... we could have "Generic Officer" or (as I suggested in another thread) it might be kind of cool to see minor expanded universe characters in this roll. Rae Sloane, as an example, is in no way as interesting as the movie characters. She would be a "no-name random" for 90% of players, but a need shout-out to those who have spent some time with the expanded universe.

Obviously not a priority... I want to see Krennic and Han Solo far more than Rae Sloane, but I see it as an opportunity to really open up character options. 

Yes! I would like to have characters like Sloane and Ciena Ree from the New Canon, and maybe even EU people like Pellaeon. Give me more Imperial characters please FFG!