Sign in to follow this  
Hrathen

Now that we have the expansion prices we can try to figure out how good of a deal the starter is.

So most of the expansion cost about $25.  The starter costs $90.  So not counting Vader and Luke (since multiples won’t be useful) I think the starter will start with about $100 worth of minis.  So not a great deal for multiples, but there is some savings as long as you want doubles of everything.  But extra movement tools and range rulers is nice.

Edited by Hrathen

So if you are into one faction, the second core set value for one faction (minus commander) is $105: 2xInfantry, 1xVehicle, 1x extra dice, 1x extra maneuver tool (assuming the dice and tool are worth it to you).

Though if there are different upgrade cards in the separate expansion, maybe that matters to you.

35 minutes ago, Wired4War said:

If it is like every other FFG mini game then there will be upgrades only available in the expansions to consider, not just price per model.

This, you will be buying the expansions. The non-core cards are going to be very desirable. I would advise against a second core, no need. You'll end up with more units than you can field soon enough.

13 minutes ago, Mep said:

Oh man, two Armada cores is expensive and pointless unless you really really like the box.

I only had the option of Core and another core when I did get into it. However I must admit while having the extra core bits is nice, totally not worth it. I plan on just grabbing a core for now. I already am in Armada, IA (Casual Campaign usage), and Runewars (Daqan) so I am not in a hurry to buy two Legion Cores.

18 minutes ago, 1728maxfirepower said:

One benefit of 2 Core Sets: if you plan on painting your models, it'd be nice having a second copy of Vader and Luke to improve upon the second time.

If you don't like the paint job just strip the paint and start again. A bottle of sterilium (here in germany) to strip the paint from the models is much cheaper than a second core box ;)

3 hours ago, 1728maxfirepower said:

One benefit of 2 Core Sets: if you plan on painting your models, it'd be nice having a second copy of Vader and Luke to improve upon the second time.

Depending on the plastic, and paints you use you can always easyli strip the paint to repaint them later.

6 minutes ago, Sk3tch said:

2 cores + Heavy units for casual/non tourney players. 1 of each expansion for people that intend to tournament. 

Core may still provide value *if*  the app list builder hype is real (refer alex davy team cov interview).

It may be possible the torney scene to require only 1 copy of each original card to reference text

2 minutes ago, Ralgon said:

Core may still provide value *if*  the app list builder hype is real (refer alex davy team cov interview).

It may be possible the torney scene to require only 1 copy of each original card to reference text

Would be amazing if it was true. 

20 minutes ago, Sk3tch said:

2 cores + Heavy units for casual/non tourney players. At least 1 Core and At least 1 of each expansion for people that intend to tournament. 

Fixed. 

Gunna go find that video to watch. I think an official squad builder companion with tourney legal printouts would be amazing. Would really help with how well they can errata broken things and re-balance further down the line. Even If I had to buy the app (discount or for free with Proof of purchase)

For Armada I bought two but sold the second one munus the rebel ships. That way i had a good starting fleet and my buddy who had no interest in Rebels got a cheap starter he could build upon.

It looks like the stormtrooper and Rebel squad upgrades are the same in the expansions meaning if I did that then i wouldnt loose out. but i guess we need confirmation.

2 hours ago, TylerTT said:

Someone could do some math and figure out what the total card counts are between what we know of the full core set and an expansion set

It varies pack to pack. It appears the troopers add 2 cards ( grappling hooks + the facedown if thats an unreleased as theres no mention of what it is) 

Some of the other packs have up to 3 facedowns