Jump to content
Nephlim24

The 2 cores or the expansions debate after a peak

Recommended Posts

Now that we have a peak and a price point I ask the FFG age old questions 2 cores or a core and expansions?

Are you going to be collecting both sides?

Are the extra upgrade cards revealed worth it? 

I would love to see fresh discussion with this new light being shed, as well the 2 Heavys look amazing.

For now I'm going to go the 2 core route because extra barricades rulers etc, as well grappling hooks and the jammer are cool and while both could be hand it also depends on builds per normal. My AT-RT is going to be more of the stand there and blow stuff up rather than trying to get in range 1 of something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well as much as I believe that 2 cores is the better value, I may just buy a single core and play that for a few months.  I won't be doing tournaments or any sort of official play so I don't need the full 800 pts right off the bat.  I may buy a second core in the future for more dice though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll get the core + heavy units. I'll have stickers for the dice because I'm cheap and I'll likely be using extra units from a friend's core so we can do Rebelion v Empire. Then I'll proxy the upgrades and see if I want 2 x core or expansions. As much as I want it all on day 1 I will have to wait and see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really want to get everything. I really, really want to get everything! But I also really want to sell my wife and gaming buddies on this game. I’m going to stick with the Core for now. I’ll paint it up really nicely (hopefully), build a nice table (well, gaming mat with terrain pieces. Yay Scarif!), and once it really gels and if they take to it, then invest more into it.

Our table at home is a small Ilea table. We can fit 6 around it for D&D, but just barely. So the Core armies should do fine for us initially. None of us have much experienced with minis or wargaming, so while we all think it looks and sounds cool, I’m the only one who pulled the trigger so far. Hopefully I can sell them on it (especially my wife. We’ve been looking for a fun new 2-player game), otherwise this’ll be an expensive diorama...

TLDR: I’ll start with just the Core set, but hopefully I’ll expand as things catch my eye (or even better, my wife’s eye!). Probably with individual unit boxes instead of a second Core.

Edited by Cheek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we know enough about the card overlap vs expansions?

If there aren't new cards in the expansion, seems that if you want two factions, you're better off with a second core; if you want one faction, at MSRP you're better off with a second core if extra dice/templates matter (2x Infantry + 1 x Vehicle + extra dice + extra templates = $105 bought separately).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well reading the articles and taking into concern the way they went with Runewars MG, it is pretty certain that you will get new upgrades with each of the expansions. So you would basically need them at least once for the cards. So minimum would be one starter and one of each expansion. Best outcome would be to play just one faction. Than get a starter trade models with somebody else get one expansion each and have enough troupers for all times ?.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is FFG and they have very predictable behavior. You want to wait for the expansion as they WILL include cards not available in the core.

You will want to buy one core, a dice pack, eventually a new ruler when the old one breaks/gets worn out, and of course at least one expansion of pretty much everything for the side you want to play and if you want to play both, sell a kidney.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two cores for me + 1 heavy from both factions + secondary market, custom or proxy upgrade cards.

I wouldn't think less of anyone who proxies cards or figures. I know money and time is in limited supply for a lot of us, so as long as we get to play some version of the game, I don't care if you bring green army men and Mr. Potato Head to fill in for units. LET'S PLAY STAR WARS!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

Two cores for me + 1 heavy from both factions + secondary market, custom or proxy upgrade cards.

I wouldn't think less of anyone who proxies cards or figures. I know money and time is in limited supply for a lot of us, so as long as we get to play some version of the game, I don't care if you bring green army men and Mr. Potato Head to fill in for units. LET'S PLAY STAR WARS!

They do make a Darth Tater

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Potato-Head-Darth-Tater/dp/B00061I4U6

and a Luke Frywalker

https://www.amazon.com/Playskool-Potato-Head-Luke-Frywalker/dp/B00TPB0PR8/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_21_lp_t_3/133-9103788-8862962?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4GKB6MKN73T8MXTAA47E

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I’m going to get two cores, and 1 of each expansion except the Heavies I’ll buy two. 

Having two rule books is super convenient when starting out with the family or friends. Plus everything else tokens, range rulers, dice, etc. 

I want to make custom units and alternate poses so having the extra troops to use for these purposes.  Luke and Vader to customize in case we do Rebel vs Rebel or Imperial vs Imperial. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Omegaclone said:

I think I’m going to get two cores, and 1 of each expansion except the Heavies I’ll buy two. 

Having two rule books is super convenient when starting out with the family or friends. Plus everything else tokens, range rulers, dice, etc. 

I want to make custom units and alternate poses so having the extra troops to use for these purposes.  Luke and Vader to customize in case we do Rebel vs Rebel or Imperial vs Imperial. 

 

There won't be a physical rule book

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After speaking with my better half, it looks like we'll be aiming for 1 of everything at the start. 1 core, 1 rebel, 1 stormtrooper, 1 speeder, 1 at-rt, 1 snowspeeder, and 1 at-st. That gets us the 3 corps per faction needed for 800 pt. tournament play. Plus a mix of support and heavy units. After playing, we may get a second core to bolster the trooper count if one of us feels our corps are lacking at the minimum 3 units. 

We are curious to see what the new commanders are, what spec ops will look like, and when they'll be announced. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Tirion said:

There won't be a physical rule book

I really hope that there will be. It won't be 40k hardback or anything but they should have a rule book like armada and x-wing do 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Tirion said:

There won't be a physical rule book

There will be a physical rule book, which is to say a Learn to Play book that teaches you how to play.  There will likely not be a physical rules reference.  The rules reference is something you'll want as a reference, but that you normally don't need for any given game once you've learned how to play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Nephlim24 said:

I really hope that there will be. It won't be 40k hardback or anything but they should have a rule book like armada and x-wing do 

No I'm telling you there isn't one. Not that there might not be there is not a physical rule book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, KrisWall said:

There will be a physical rule book, which is to say a Learn to Play book that teaches you how to play.  There will likely not be a physical rules reference.  The rules reference is something you'll want as a reference, but that you normally don't need for any given game once you've learned how to play.

Not completely true the rrg is the official rule book and no there won't be one 100%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There will be a book, with pages, that outlines rules for this game contained in the core set. These threads are available to new players and tons of people with valid questions. We're all here to help. Confusing people with semantic arguments about the differences between rule books and rules reference guides helps nobody. I hope this clears things up. May the Force be with you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on past performance, the expansions will have different cards (I mean, if there's no difference, why wouldn't people just buy a 2nd core).  We also know that core boxes are usually loss leaders to entice us into a game.  Yes, you will always get better value out of the core on physical components.

The big question is... will upgrades repeat so you can stay within a faction and still be competitive?

We know that 0-3 Troops will be a list building requirement.  So the Troop expansions will be necessary right away.  Thinking ahead, unless you will be hardcore competitive where you spam a certain type... there will be more expansions in the future so why not have an opportunity to play with all your toys?

To me, I think "1 of" is the way to go unless you really like something or am trying to win at a Nats and above level.

Of course, these are just my two cents - do what makes you happy!  :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AldousSnow said:

There will be a book, with pages, that outlines rules for this game contained in the core set. These threads are available to new players and tons of people with valid questions. We're all here to help. Confusing people with semantic arguments about the differences between rule books and rules reference guides helps nobody. I hope this clears things up. May the Force be with you. 

I'm trying to do the exact opposite.... you are completely diminishing the actual rulebook for the game. It's not semantics the differences in the learn to play and rules reference guide in past FFG games is massive. One is the official rulebook the other is a tutorial that teaches you the bare bones. 

The box WILL NOT contain the official rule book outside of the learn to play scenario which DOES NOT contain all of the rules for the game. The official rules will only be available online and will be a living document. Meaning it will be subject to change at all times. 

This should help everyone and clear up confusion.

That's not how the force works.

Edited by Tirion
Debating = diminishing/clear = cheese.... WTF?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Tirion said:

The box WILL NOT contain the official rule book outside of the learn to play scenario which DOES NOT contain all of the rules for the game. The official rules will only be available online and will be a living document. Meaning it will be subject to change at all times. 

 

So the RRG will be online? What does this mean for an FAQ? Where did you hear this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Undeadguy said:

So the RRG will be online? What does this mean for an FAQ? Where did you hear this?

The man himself Alex Davies. He stated that the rrg will be online which should eliminate the need for FAQs or awkward rulings as they can just change the actual rules. 

I'm hopeful and worried about this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...