Sarone

Compatibility of Imperial Assault and Legion

Is it any different then using the usual FFG supplied cardboard tokens for miniatures that come out later in an official expansion?  Every IA box set comes with punch out tokens to use.

I think the main point people are making is that it doesn't make sense to manufacture a complete new line of minis whwn you already have sculpts. Yes, house rules vs tournament will vary. Just like x-wing there are casual/friends house gamers and then there are the meta busting hardcore tourney people. 

Like anything...usual the minis are just for looks. The game mechanics are what make or break a games lifespan.

Edited by Nihm
Autocorrect error lol

3 hours ago, Megatronrex said:

Sounds like a lot of you guys are just saying that you want to play Legion without having to buy Legion. Not just at a casual level but also in official FFG tournaments and events, and that Legion's minis should be scaled with the Star Wars game that you already own instead of being its own game. Those are some seriously unrealistic expectations.

Agreed.  

3 hours ago, Megatronrex said:

Sounds like a lot of you guys are just saying that you want to play Legion without having to buy Legion. Not just at a casual level but also in official FFG tournaments and events, and that Legion's minis should be scaled with the Star Wars game that you already own instead of being its own game. Those are some seriously unrealistic expectations.

When at home, play whatever rules with whatever game pieces you want but at the game stores you should be expected to use Legion minis for it and imperial assault minis for that game. 

Edited by ninclouse2000

On 11/7/2017 at 10:35 AM, Nihm said:

I think the main point people are making is that it doesn't make sense to manufacture a complete new line of minis whwn you already have sculpts.

Of course it does, when you can make even better models now then you did before.  Also I don't know anyone who's actually making that point, what they're saying is that they don't want to have to buy Legion models when they already own IA ones.

FFG learned alot about making models from IA and even more from Runewars.  So they took what they had learned, and used that to make Legion models look a lot better then IA ones.

Following your logic... Why have modern cars when the Model T would work just fine?

I like IA. I feel it is by far the better game. With that said, IA and Legion are two different games and there is more to both games than just minis. You also have different cards, dice, terrain pieces, map tiles, tokens, etc.....

They are just not the same game and no need to try to smash them together. However I can see some IA players "stealing" the Legion models since those models are better. I am not sure why Legion players would want to buy IA models.

7 minutes ago, Mep said:

I like IA. I feel it is by far the better game. With that said, IA and Legion are two different games and there is more to both games than just minis. You also have different cards, dice, terrain pieces, map tiles, tokens, etc.....

They are just not the same game and no need to try to smash them together. However I can see some IA players "stealing" the Legion models since those models are better. I am not sure why Legion players would want to buy IA models.

How can you judge a game when you haven't played it under the full rules? And we still don't know how each class of unit will play.

4 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

How can you judge a game when you haven't played it under the full rules? And we still don't know how each class of unit will play.

Yeah...... I answered this question already. I know enough to have a good strong opinion even if you do not. Miniature games are what they are after all and FFG explained their game very very well at GenCon.

1 hour ago, Mep said:

Yeah...... I answered this question already. I know enough to have a good strong opinion even if you do not. Miniature games are what they are after all and FFG explained their game very very well at GenCon.

So why bother coming over to the Legion forums if you don't want to play?

Edited by Undeadguy

1 hour ago, Undeadguy said:

So why bother coming over to the Legion forums if you don't want to play?

To steal the better miniatures of course. This is why you know nothing about Legion - you don't pay attention. Also, don't believe I ever said I wouldn't play Legion. Again, paying attention, it works. Seriously though, Legion will never be considered the best game ever by everyone who ever lived. Your ego shouldn't get so bruised because someone likes a different game a bit better. You didn't create the game and I am not hear calling Legion a bad game, so why do you even care?

3 minutes ago, Mep said:

To steal the better miniatures of course. This is why you know nothing about Legion - you don't pay attention. Also, don't believe I ever said I wouldn't play Legion. Again, paying attention, it works. Seriously though, Legion will never be considered the best game ever by everyone who ever lived. Your ego shouldn't get so bruised because someone likes a different game a bit better. You didn't create the game and I am not hear calling Legion a bad game, so why do you even care?

Haha that's an excellent reason actually. Getting the better sculpts.

I do pay attention, just not to you. Sorry I'm not subscribed to your every post. 

2 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

Haha that's an excellent reason actually. Getting the better sculpts.

I do pay attention, just not to you. Sorry I'm not subscribed to your every post. 

I'm pretty sure we had this discussion before or someone with the same profile pic. I personally don't need to revisit it so a bit salty.

16 minutes ago, Mep said:

I'm pretty sure we had this discussion before or someone with the same profile pic. I personally don't need to revisit it so a bit salty.

Hahaha wow that's great. Well it's not my intention to follow you and harass you. I certainly have no memory of you. To avoid any further conflict, I'll just block you. 

Sorry if I've caused any stress. Clearly it's me, not you.

On 10/25/2017 at 1:53 PM, Arttemis said:

The scale difference kills this game in my eyes.  I like the tile-based nature of Imperial Assault, but I would undoubtedly have bought into Legion if the figures were cross compatible... No way I'm buying a Star Wars-themed Warhammer/40K game, though.

I've never played IA, but I would have totally bought every single one of the IA minis to use in custom Legion games had they been compatible. 

2 hours ago, Lumberjack Nick said:

I mean this really doesn't look that far off to me.

I think some people are sticklers for size/quality. It honestly doesn't bother me and I'd have no problem with mixing. There's a very good chance my minis will also find their way into my RPG games (though I may have to find a slightly larger grid) along with my old WotC minis.

There's only two real problems with using them both in Legion. First, the size of the bases appears different- and I'm referring to diameter rather than height. You have to measure from one mini to another to determine whether or not something is in range, so you'd have to put your IA stuff on another base. The other problem (that someone brought up, I just forget where on the forums) is line of sight and how they handle that, exactly. I think you have to determine LoS based on what the mini can see, so if the mini is of a different height, that might skew things with terrain at different heights. It might not be an issue but it's one of those where we'll have to wait and see.

Granted, you'd have to use the official Legion minis for the official tournaments, but for casual games and the like you can do whatever you want. Plenty of people are already planning on doing things not allowed by the rules anyway, like armies with different points, armies with more of a mini type than allowed, etc.

8 hours ago, Makelumpycanon said:

Sigh...can this thread just die already?

16 minutes ago, jrmypdgr said:

^ pls

I don't know if there's an "Ignore Thread" option, but you can always ignore it the old-fashioned way. By just ignoring it. You can also mark it as read if the fact that the title is slightly bolded on the main page bothers you. There's threads that don't particularly interest me, and I do the same thing. It really does work.

On 10/11/2017 at 11:56 PM, Mep said:

Amazing

On 11/10/2017 at 10:55 PM, Lumberjack Nick said:

I've never played IA, but I would have totally bought every single one of the IA minis to use in custom Legion games had they been compatible. 

There's a ton of IA models out there, and even if they were compatible in terms of size, 98% of them aren't in Legion yet, so you couldn't use them due to there being no unit cards or rules for them.

If you were going to make up your own cards/rules for them, then there's nothing stopping you from using them now because the issue won't be the difference in size, it will be that you're making up your own rules.

What it comes down to is that legion is a new unique game. Trying to build it around an existing games' miniatures would be marketing suicide. They need a product that can stand on its own to feet. If they made the scale compatible then nobody would buy the legion miniatures because they could get ia instead and get a whole second game for free. Also allowing use of imperial assault minis is unfair to the new player base. Most people would be running armies built from the small pool of legion units while they're would be ia players with a huge pool to pick from.  It just does not make sense from a marketing sense or a game balance sense to make the lines compatible. They need sales to drive this game. So if we want to be seeing new legion content years down the road than we need to be supporting it with our dollars. Otherwise it will go the way of dust.

On 11/14/2017 at 8:22 AM, VanorDM said:

There's a ton of IA models out there, and even if they were compatible in terms of size, 98% of them aren't in Legion yet, so you couldn't use them due to there being no unit cards or rules for them.

If you were going to make up your own cards/rules for them, then there's nothing stopping you from using them now because the issue won't be the difference in size, it will be that you're making up your own rules.

Thats not really true though. Say I use a Rebel Saboteur or Alliance Rangers from IA to fill in for a random non-special Rebel Soldier from Legion...does it matter? Its just a body, it still uses the exact same rules, it just shows the Rebel army in a more accurate fashion, as the hodge-podge of randoms that come together for a common cause.
Storm Troopers are Storm Troopers so say I have a base squad of IA Troopers beside Vader as his "501st" or whatever.....It would actually look amazing IMO as he should dwarf the random joe. I doubt there would be much complaint if a Kayn Somos IA model was tossed in as some sort of SGT. Remember that StormTroopers arnt Clones either, so height differences isnt THAT big of a deal.

14 minutes ago, Xodis said:

Thats not really true though. Say I use a Rebel Saboteur or Alliance Rangers from IA to fill in for a random non-special Rebel Soldier from Legion...does it matter? Its just a body, it still uses the exact same rules, it just shows the Rebel army in a more accurate fashion, as the hodge-podge of randoms that come together for a common cause.
Storm Troopers are Storm Troopers so say I have a base squad of IA Troopers beside Vader as his "501st" or whatever.....It would actually look amazing IMO as he should dwarf the random joe. I doubt there would be much complaint if a Kayn Somos IA model was tossed in as some sort of SGT. Remember that StormTroopers arnt Clones either, so height differences isnt THAT big of a deal.

At home when playing casually you can do this.  I doubt this would be ok in a tournament though.  

IA is closer to X-wing in terms of campaign and set up. Or Star Wars Role play go hand in hand.

For me I am interested in how a combined Legion and Armada campaign will work out like?

However it does strike me odd as this is going to be the game with AT-ATs are in yet the figure scale is larger than IA?

Edited by Marinealver