Sarone

Compatibility of Imperial Assault and Legion

Scale has been a constant question, and thorn in the side since Legions announcement. What might be an interesting move is if FFG release just a rules pack as they did with Rune Wars, got the cards needed, got the rules, can buy the dice separately anyway, so those playing IA can buy into Legion without needing to replace minis, unless they want to of course. Even those wanting 15mil scale could adapt the system.

For the fans of Legion who are of course dominating this forum, don't shoot the messenger here, the fact is there has been official star wars wargaming for the last 25 years since West End Games released there ruleset. Check the facebook page its still got its fans playing it now. So some Star Wars Wargamers in some instances have spent decades, including the Collectable miniatures game from more than 10 years ago building up there collection. There not about to bin that overnight because another ruleset is on the market.

A Runewars style rules and cards only set could serve as a low cost entry to the game that could bring players over, or at least have players buying into the game who could play there m8s who have got the Legion figures.

I think that's a win-win for everybody.

On 10/27/2017 at 11:26 PM, ninclouse2000 said:

That’s a pretty significant difference in size, dude.  There is no compatibility between the two games. 

Compatibility between *games* or between miniature lines? 

I think the miniatures are somewhat compatible, especially on the Rebel side. While stormtroopers are fairly uniform, Rebel commandos come in a variety of sizes. IA human minis could be painted to resemble near-human species, and I think mixing in a few Duros, Wookies, Twi'leks, etc. would give some variety. The Rebel character minis would be particularly appropriate, I think, since they are already different from the rest of the squad. If you put Mac into your commando squad, who's to say that the Bothan is too short? ;)

Your mileage may vary.

53 minutes ago, VanorDM said:

The difference in size is enough that you'll likely not be able to get away with using IA models at any sort of official event, but not so much that you'll have issues with it playing friendly games.

Depends entirely where you play, I suppose.  My friends and I play in a community where we don't tend to allow proxies.  The games are still friendly and it's a generally casual environment.  We just run and go to a lot of official events.  Proxies are therefore simply not allowed in 99% of our events.

This more or less has ensured I don’t buy into this game. It would have been so easy to have the same scale as IA so I could use the boxes and boxes of FF minis I already purchased and painted. I am not about to buy and then paint ANOTHER set of FF storm troopers. I’ve used enough white paint already to last a lifetime. 

Such a shame. Looks like my miniature gaming will stay in the realm of WWII and Team Yankee. 

On 10/30/2017 at 10:15 AM, KrisWall said:

Depends entirely where you play, I suppose.  My friends and I play in a community where we don't tend to allow proxies. 

True, if your group frowns on proxies then that's a whole different thing.

22 hours ago, moodydoody said:

It would have been so easy to have the same scale as IA so I could use the boxes and boxes of FF minis I already purchased and painted

Expect that there's very few models in IA that actually would be useable in Legion period.  Stormtroopers, Vader and the AT-ST.  That's really it right now.

There's also the very real possibility that not wanting people to avoid buying Legion packs is precisely the reason why they changed the scale.  Not going to argue if that is a good or bad thing, just that I can understand why they'd not want to make it easy for people to not spend money on their stuff.

37 minutes ago, VanorDM said:

True, if your group frowns on proxies then that's a whole different thing.

Expect that there's very few models in IA that actually would be useable in Legion period.  Stormtroopers, Vader and the AT-ST.  That's really it right now.

There's also the very real possibility that not wanting people to avoid buying Legion packs is precisely the reason why they changed the scale.  Not going to argue if that is a good or bad thing, just that I can understand why they'd not want to make it easy for people to not spend money on their stuff.

Agreed.  Legion isn't a new way of playing Imperial Assault.  It's an entirely different game.  There is no reason to expect FFG to make it easy for players to play without actually buying the game.  There is every reason to expect that you will have to buy Legion product if you want to play Legion.

23 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

The games are 100% compatible, unless you play competitively, in which case it's probable you like the game and will buy into it.

But hey, I guess IA folks can still come over to the Legion forums and tell us how they don't want to play.

They really aren't 100% compatible.  The miniatures are a different scale and have different base sizes.  The IA AT-ST base can't slot into the Legion movement tool.  There are no rules/unit cards for the overwhelming majority of IA releases.  For the few units that do exist in both games, there aren't enough weapon options.  Show me an IA Stormtrooper equipped with a rocket launcher. 

You CAN make it work, but you'll have to do a lot of work to get there.  You'll have to buy/make some Legion dice.  You'll have to buy/make some Legion range/movement sticks.  You'll have to buy/make some unit and upgrade cards.  There will be a lot of pretending involved and you'll be ineligible to participate in any official events (which includes any store event that uses an FFG OP kit).  In an infinite universe, all things are possible...  but to say that the games are 100% compatible is a stretch.

1 minute ago, KrisWall said:

IA AT-ST base can't slot into the Legion movement tool. 

Trace the base and make your own. The only issue is LOS, but I've yet to see the official rules on LOS to pass judgement.

There are no rules/unit cards for the overwhelming majority of IA releases

Print the cards .

Show me an IA Stormtrooper equipped with a rocket launcher. 

This is arbitrary. You can sub in another storm trooper. The mini does not make the rules.

2 minutes ago, KrisWall said:

You'll have to buy/make some Legion dice.  You'll have to buy/make some Legion range/movement sticks.

You can share components with your friend.

2 minutes ago, KrisWall said:

There will be a lot of pretending involved and you'll be ineligible to participate in any official events (which includes any store event that uses an FFG OP kit).

If this is your goal, just buy the game.

If people really come here to say they don't want to play Legion and want to stick with IA, I see no point int having the discussion. It's people just showing up to ***** because they think they are entitled to forcing their opinion on people who actually want to play Legion.

But if people want to play test Legion with their IA stuff, it's quite easy to do. Rather than painting a bunch of Storm Troopers again, why not cut the ones off of the IA base and glue it to the Legion base? Why not buy the new AT-ST, which by itself looks to be a stunning model, and now you don't have to proxy the IA one. You don't need to by the core because you can SHARE dice and tools, and the rules are going to be a living document. The cards will be online so you can print, or you can photo copy a friends.

There is literally no reason someone with an IA collection cannot play Legion, with the exception of their own constraints they place on themselves. 

1 minute ago, Undeadguy said:

There is literally no reason someone with an IA collection cannot play Legion, with the exception of their own constraints they place on themselves. 

This is incorrect, insomuch as it doesn't apply to all situations.  I play mainly as part of a large, multi-state community of gamers who generally expect you to play with official components.  99% of store events are supported with official FFG prize support, making them official events and bound by official FFG rules.  If I want to participate in my local community, I need to use official components.  The "constraints" are being placed by the community, not by me.

It's important to be aware that your situation may not be someone else's situation.  Generally speaking, if you play only with close friends or only at home, you can do whatever you want.  If you play regularly with strangers or light acquaintances, you'll frequently be expected to use only official rules and components.  House rules work fine in your house.  They don't always work fine in someone else's house (or store).

12 minutes ago, KrisWall said:

99% of store events are supported with official FFG prize support, making them official events and bound by official FFG rules.  If I want to participate in my local community, I need to use official components.  The "constraints" are being placed by the community, not by me.

What you've described sounds a little bit strange to me. You don't have like a regularly (weekly?) gaming night divorced from prize support? I think that's what he was talking about.

1 hour ago, svelok said:

What you've described sounds a little bit strange to me. You don't have like a regularly (weekly?) gaming night divorced from prize support? I think that's what he was talking about.

There is an X-Wing night (where people expect you to have official components), but for other games like Armada and Imperial Assault, there is no regular game night.  It's official events and then prep games for those events.  The non-event games are largely prearranged via a community Facebook group.  Since they're practice for official events, the expectation is that you have official components.  If a new player shows up and asks "when do they play Armada here", the shop just puts them in touch with our group and we arrange some games.

On 10/29/2017 at 10:10 PM, Ghostofman said:

22852077_10155864701706983_5871770328257

Well now.. that's interesting...

Okay...IA Royal Guard has a 25mm base...measuring SWL rebel commando base it looks like 30mm or 32mm ?

Sounds like a lot of you guys are just saying that you want to play Legion without having to buy Legion. Not just at a casual level but also in official FFG tournaments and events, and that Legion's minis should be scaled with the Star Wars game that you already own instead of being its own game. Those are some seriously unrealistic expectations.

25 minutes ago, Megatronrex said:

Sounds like a lot of you guys are just saying that you want to play Legion without having to buy Legion. Not just at a casual level but also in official FFG tournaments and events, and that Legion's minis should be scaled with the Star Wars game that you already own instead of being its own game. Those are some seriously unrealistic expectations.

this

44 minutes ago, Megatronrex said:

This guys has his head screwed on right.

srsly guys? You want to play legion with legion? Thats very ironic

Edited by Jabby

22 hours ago, KrisWall said:

House rules work fine in your house.  They don't always work fine in someone else's house (or store).

Well put.

I could quite easily play Legion with nothing more than wooden disks, and correctly shaped bases for the larger stuff.  LoS can be dealt with by a simple template, kind of like what they do in Infinity.

Of course if I try that at my or any LGS it wouldn't go over well.  An official FFG event, it wouldn't go at all.  

40 minutes ago, VanorDM said:

Well put.

I could quite easily play Legion with nothing more than wooden disks, and correctly shaped bases for the larger stuff.  LoS can be dealt with by a simple template, kind of like what they do in Infinity.

Of course if I try that at my or any LGS it wouldn't go over well.  An official FFG event, it wouldn't go at all.  

I want to do this at an official FFG event just for fun! Or even better try this and when they complain pull out imperial assault stuff!