Sarone

Compatibility of Imperial Assault and Legion

Has any one found out if there is a size difference between Imperial Assault minis and the Legion Minis?  I would very much like to do some cross compatibility between games.

3 minutes ago, Sarone said:

Has any one found out if there is a size difference between Imperial Assault minis and the Legion Minis?  I would very much like to do some cross compatibility between games.

Legion minis are larger.  Imperial Assault minis are smaller and have less detail.  They're not visually compatible.

2 minutes ago, KrisWall said:

Legion minis are larger.  Imperial Assault minis are smaller and have less detail.  They're not visually compatible.

Just checking.  Too bad they haven't post a comparison article yet of the two.

The scale difference kills this game in my eyes.  I like the tile-based nature of Imperial Assault, but I would undoubtedly have bought into Legion if the figures were cross compatible... No way I'm buying a Star Wars-themed Warhammer/40K game, though.

There is more to the two games than just miniatures. There is also cards to consider which are needed to make the game playable. Legion is a pure miniatures game and you really need to be into miniatures to like Legion. Otherwise IA is actually the better game.

3 hours ago, Arttemis said:

The scale difference kills this game in my eyes.  I like the tile-based nature of Imperial Assault, but I would undoubtedly have bought into Legion if the figures were cross compatible... No way I'm buying a Star Wars-themed Warhammer/40K game, though.

Different strokes for different folks.  If you're not a table top war gamer, you're not likely to like Legion.

2 hours ago, Mep said:

There is more to the two games than just miniatures. There is also cards to consider which are needed to make the game playable. Legion is a pure miniatures game and you really need to be into miniatures to like Legion. Otherwise IA is actually the better game.

Ha!  How do you know that IA is the better game?  Legion hasn't even come out yet.  We don't have the full rules and I've only seen demos using what we know is only part of a full army.  We haven't even seen units from all the different army slots yet.  At least wait for it to come out and play a game or two before declaring that the game is subpar compared to IA.  They're completely different games that scratch different gamer itches.

26 minutes ago, KrisWall said:

Ha!  How do you know that IA is the better game?  Legion hasn't even come out yet.  We don't have the full rules and I've only seen demos using what we know is only part of a full army.  We haven't even seen units from all the different army slots yet.  At least wait for it to come out and play a game or two before declaring that the game is subpar compared to IA.  They're completely different games that scratch different gamer itches.

I agree they are different games and which is better is a matter of opinion of what people are in to. IA has both skirmish and campaign modes, will soon have a app for even more playing choices. For skirmish, which translates best to Legion, it is a quicker set up, requires less space and is a quicker game and therefore more accessible. What it is not is a miniatures game, instead it is really more of a board game. So if you are really into miniature games, then yes, you will like Legion, otherwise, for the points I given, people will generally find IA to be better game for them. I realize many people are excited about Legion, it is the new pretty. Certainly those really into miniature games already should be excited about Legion. For everyone else, I think they will be disappointed since they don't quite get what this game actually is. IA is probably the better game for them even if it is largely ignored by most, usually because it requires painting. If painting is an obstacle for them, then really they should be properly educated what a miniature game truly is and what it isn't.

BTW, no idea what demos you saw, but the demos I saw were excellent at explaining exactly what Legion is. Also, this is an FFG game, rules are a temporary place holder for the next set of rules. Knowing a bit more about fine print details subject to change won't affect my opinion. The demos gave a very good overview of the game and FFG did a good job of communicating their new game.

11 hours ago, Mep said:

I agree they are different games and which is better is a matter of opinion of what people are in to. IA has both skirmish and campaign modes, will soon have a app for even more playing choices. For skirmish, which translates best to Legion, it is a quicker set up, requires less space and is a quicker game and therefore more accessible. What it is not is a miniatures game, instead it is really more of a board game. So if you are really into miniature games, then yes, you will like Legion, otherwise, for the points I given, people will generally find IA to be better game for them. I realize many people are excited about Legion, it is the new pretty. Certainly those really into miniature games already should be excited about Legion. For everyone else, I think they will be disappointed since they don't quite get what this game actually is. IA is probably the better game for them even if it is largely ignored by most, usually because it requires painting. If painting is an obstacle for them, then really they should be properly educated what a miniature game truly is and what it isn't.

BTW, no idea what demos you saw, but the demos I saw were excellent at explaining exactly what Legion is. Also, this is an FFG game, rules are a temporary place holder for the next set of rules. Knowing a bit more about fine print details subject to change won't affect my opinion. The demos gave a very good overview of the game and FFG did a good job of communicating their new game.

The demos I saw (at Gencon) did not use full, standard sized armies (800 points), did not include the morale/fleeing mechanic (which seems like it will be massively important) and had the players making poor strategic choices to ensure that a combat would happen so that everyone could see the dice roll.  They also didn't really see either player play to the mission objectives.  While interesting and while definitely giving the viewer a good flavor for the game, the demos I've seen do not appear to represent a standard game of Star Wars Legion.

I'm also not sure your assertion that people will generally find IA to be more appealing is actually true.  Skirmish is a board game version of Final Fantasy Tactics with Stormtroopers.  If that's your thing, awesome.  Lots of people don't like isometric tactics games.  There are tons of isometric tactics video games.  I don't keep up on the latest video game news, but I'd be shocked to see one in the top ten.  It's a niche game type.  The campaign version is also a weird mix of competitive and cooperative.  Many people prefer pure competitive or pure cooperative and try to avoid the 'many versus one' type games.  I think that's why even FFG is starting to move away from them.  Mansion of Madness is now pure cooperative.  IA will theoretically move towards coop if the rumored app ever actually comes out.  IF the app does come out, then IA may well appeal to more people.  That's a theoretical future state that doesn't mean anything today.

Ultimately, it just depends on what you're into.  IA is somewhat of a niche game.  The campaign version has a fair number of competing and similar games.  The Skirmish version (which everyone keeps comparing to Legion) doesn't.  I can't actually think of another game that is largely the same as IA Skirmish.  In other words, IA Skirmish doesn't have a massive player pool coming from other games who are already familiar with the general mechanics and are just thinking "omg...  this is just like the games I play, but with lightsabers".  With Legion, there are countless games already on the market that play similarly to Legion.  Warhammer 40k, Warhammer Age of Sigmar, Kings of War, Wrath of Kings, Warmachine, Hordes, Malifaux, Batman Miniatures Game, etc, etc.  Literally any of those players can look at Legion and say "omg...  this is just like the games I play, but with lightsabers".  I've heard Legion described as "Star Wars 40k" numerous times.  I've never heard IA Skirmish described as "Star Wars some other game".  I've also never heard any other game described as "some other game IA".

To summarize...  I think you're overestimating the appeal of IA Skirmish and underestimating the appeal of table top war games like Legion.

@KrisWall Yes there are people into the war gaming hobby and Legion will add a few to their ranks. It is however a hobby and not a pure game. I wouldn't expect Legion to have broad appeal anymore than I would expect 40k. Those who love it, love it, everyone else thinks they are kinda weird. The only thing I see holding a game like IA back is that the minis aren't painted like they are in X Wing. Otherwise it would have broad appeal. Few people are into painting minis, fewer still are into making terrain. The appeal to the miniature hobby is what it is and I certainly don't over estimate it. There are a lot of people very excited for a game they really don't understand. If they are disinterested in IA and 40k, they may buy into legion at first, but they will drop the game.

Also they demoed all the nuts and bolts of the game. The gravy is extra but not too hard to figure out. I am not sure why anyone would be confused as to what the game actually is. You actually gave a pretty good description of the game. Not much more to say on it. It is a miniatures game. It is far more about the painting and terrain and having things look cool than actual game mechanics, which seem to be sufficient.

Edited by Mep

Here you go. Close enough that you can use them casually, different enough that sactioned sponsored events will notice anyone trying to pass one off as the other.

No unexpected, there's already two other nonFFG star wars minis games out there also of slightly different scale.

uvcXi4o.jpg

2 minutes ago, Ghostofman said:

Here you go. Close enough that you can use them casually, different enough that sactioned sponsored events will notice anyone trying to pass one off as the other.

No unexpected, there's already two other nonFFG star wars minis games out there also of slightly different scale.

uvcXi4o.jpg

FYI the imperial assault Luke in this pic has also been re-based so the difference is even bigger then what is portrayed. 

5 minutes ago, MrMustang said:

FYI the imperial assault Luke in this pic has also been re-based so the difference is even bigger then what is portrayed. 

True, but not hugely different. Little Luke's head would be closer to Big Luke's mouth than eyes if they were on matching bases.

21 hours ago, Mep said:

@KrisWall Yes there are people into the war gaming hobby and Legion will add a few to their ranks. It is however a hobby and not a pure game. I wouldn't expect Legion to have broad appeal anymore than I would expect 40k. Those who love it, love it, everyone else thinks they are kinda weird. The only thing I see holding a game like IA back is that the minis aren't painted like they are in X Wing. Otherwise it would have broad appeal. Few people are into painting minis, fewer still are into making terrain. The appeal to the miniature hobby is what it is and I certainly don't over estimate it. There are a lot of people very excited for a game they really don't understand. If they are disinterested in IA and 40k, they may buy into legion at first, but they will drop the game.

Also they demoed all the nuts and bolts of the game. The gravy is extra but not too hard to figure out. I am not sure why anyone would be confused as to what the game actually is. You actually gave a pretty good description of the game. Not much more to say on it. It is a miniatures game. It is far more about the painting and terrain and having things look cool than actual game mechanics, which seem to be sufficient.

You do realize 40k is the second best selling minis game right? Not really a niche.

36 minutes ago, Tirion said:

You do realize 40k is the second best selling minis game right? Not really a niche.

Globally, it's still the first. There are numbers out there tracking independent US retail numbers, which show X-Wing leading, but once you pull in GW's own stores, mail-order, and significant global reach, it's still way out in front.

As a publicly traded company, GW puts out a lot of documents for shareholders and such if you want to look into it further.

20 hours ago, Ghostofman said:

True, but not hugely different. Little Luke's head would be closer to Big Luke's mouth than eyes if they were on matching bases.

687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f5a

For me, this is really the picture that drives home the size difference. The Legion figures really are a lot bigger, to the point where most of the IA figures will probably look weird in the table.

18 minutes ago, Dr Lucky said:

For me, this is really the picture that drives home the size difference. The Legion figures really are a lot bigger, to the point where most of the IA figures will probably look weird in the table.

Not to mention los issues

20 minutes ago, Dr Lucky said:

Globally, it's still the first. There are numbers out there tracking independent US retail numbers, which show X-Wing leading, but once you pull in GW's own stores, mail-order, and significant global reach, it's still way out in front.

As a publicly traded company, GW puts out a lot of documents for shareholders and such if you want to look into it further.

Just furthers my point

2 hours ago, Tirion said:

So it is the second or is it the best selling niche game? Either way, it is a niche game. As I said, people who love this type of game will be happy with it. Most people who game aren't into these types of games. The sky being blue isn't a bad thing. It just is what it is.

7 hours ago, Tirion said:

Niche: Wargaming, Niche: Grimdark wargaming

Just because you're the #1 dealer of ferret milk doesn't mean you're a household name. 40k is the grimdark elephant in the room, but it's not really that big a room when you really get down to it.

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 6:23 PM, Ghostofman said:

uvcXi4o.jpg

8 hours ago, Dr Lucky said:

Now this is what I am talking.  Though the scale is a bit different, it's not a huge difference.  Plus, bases can be changed out.

If they also bring in some customs rules for the minis, it could grant new life to the figures already in IA until the Legion version comes out.

41 minutes ago, Sarone said:

Now this is what I am talking.  Though the scale is a bit different, it's not a huge difference.  Plus, bases can be changed out.

If they also bring in some customs rules for the minis, it could grant new life to the figures already in IA until the Legion version comes out.

That’s a pretty significant difference in size, dude.  There is no compatibility between the two games. 

10 hours ago, Dr Lucky said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't one of those a little short for a storm trooper....

6 hours ago, Sarone said:

Isn't he a little short for a stormtrooper?