Reaver027

All the expansions (AT-ST and more)

111 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

I'm sort of hoping that they will announce two more expansions for wave 1 just to give us a special forces option and a secondary commander. I don't expect to see that, but it would be nice, and if they announced the heavy units separately maybe they might do that for the others? 

I think best we can hope for, but not count on, is a q2 wave 2.

I think everything is reasonably priced. Considering you can never field more than 2 AT-STs, it's not a big deal if you spend $50 to buy 1. It's really no different than Armada. You buy 1 or 2 large expensive ships and fill in your fleet with small cheaper ones.

Tirion and Megatronrex like this

13 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

I think everything is reasonably priced. Considering you can never field more than 2 AT-STs, it's not a big deal if you spend $50 to buy 1. It's really no different than Armada. You buy 1 or 2 large expensive ships and fill in your fleet with small cheaper ones.

At first I thought the AT-ST was overpriced but after seeing some more pics of it I think it's reasonable and if it's $50 at full retail it won't be hard to find them for around the $40 that I was expecting.

Undeadguy likes this

5 minutes ago, Megatronrex said:

At first I thought the AT-ST was overpriced but after seeing some more pics of it I think it's reasonable and if it's $50 at full retail it won't be hard to find them for around the $40 that I was expecting.

I'm more surprised the Air Speeder is $40 rather than $50, but I guess that's the same for the ISD and MC80.

Megatronrex likes this

2 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

I'm more surprised the Air Speeder is $40 rather than $50, but I guess that's the same for the ISD and MC80.

The air speeder looks like it's a good bit less plastic so I think that's about right. I know I'll be getting at least one of everything for the first wave and they'll look bad a** sitting on my shelf collecting dust with my X-Wing stuff if nothing else.

Tirion, Undeadguy and Omegaclone like this

41 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

I'm sort of hoping that they will announce two more expansions for wave 1 just to give us a special forces option and a secondary commander. I don't expect to see that, but it would be nice, and if they announced the heavy units separately maybe they might do that for the others? 

The downside to that would be an initial "everything" haul would run you $200+ for just one faction; and a lot of people take that "everything" approach to FFG games by tradition. Those folks might get sticker-shocked away.

From the perspective of most other miniatures games, where you're not expecting to own everything for one faction - let alone more than one - having a box per slot at launch makes sense. You don't get into 40k by buying the entire Tau line, you pick and choose from the choices available what you like. But FFG's fans might show up to their FLGS with different expectations.

Whether FFG is going to bend to those expectations or not, who knows? It is a mystery.

36 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

I think everything is reasonably priced. Considering you can never field more than 2 AT-STs, it's not a big deal if you spend $50 to buy 1.

Agreed. The price/model is half of what you'd pay for 40k; and the AT-ST is both a huge model and a huge chunk of your army.

9 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

The Airspeeder is only $30, in fact.

It's a lot smaller than the walker; somebody posted pictures of them in a different thread. The AT-ST is huge, possibly even true to scale. The Airspeed is tiny, and presumably piloted by ants, or maybe an Ewok.

Edited by svelok
Undeadguy and Megatronrex like this

13 minutes ago, Mimikyu said:

@Undeadguy I'm seeing $30 for the pre-order price on the airspeeders. Are you outside the U.S.?

He's in the US. I missed the $30 too, makes it even better.

Those are FFG prices.  They will be a bit less at stores or Minimarket.  FFG price for core is $89,  Miniature market has it for $71.  So no fears.  An ATST will not be $50+ tax!

Actually, the airspeeders pretty close to scale, air recconaisance vehicles tend to have cramped cockpits, here’s a real life pre ww2 example 

you’d be surprised at how small spaces that pilots have to fit into can be. Also only the head and shoulders are in the visible cockpit

19 minutes ago, MandoBard said:

Actually, the airspeeders pretty close to scale, air recconaisance vehicles tend to have cramped cockpits, here’s a real life pre ww2 example 

you’d be surprised at how small spaces that pilots have to fit into can be. Also only the head and shoulders are in the visible cockpit

Go look at the Essex photos.... It isn't too scale

1 minute ago, Tirion said:

Go look at the Essex photos.... It isn't too scale

Well if the AT-ST and T-47 isn't too scale, I sure as **** won't allow that in my Legion games. Can you imagine unscaled minis on the table? You sir can take those vehicles and throw them in the IA. More minis that can never be mixed with Legion. 

Megatronrex and Tirion like this

Just now, devin.pike.1989 said:

Have you watched Empire recently?  T-47s are tiny.

2snowspeeder.jpg

Look how cramped in there the pilot and gunner are

All I'm saying is a rebel trooper mini couldn't fit in one and they are operating on a sliding scale which I have zero issue with and was calling for for months. 

Undeadguy likes this

A rebel trooper in the wide legged "hero pose" with a backpack and rifle wouldn't but I could see a pilot cramped in there.  If anything it looks like they maybe squashed the scale vertically (flattened it slightly).

Hinnyboy likes this

1 hour ago, svelok said:

The downside to that would be an initial "everything" haul would run you $200+ for just one faction; and a lot of people take that "everything" approach to FFG games by tradition. Those folks might get sticker-shocked away.

Armada's core plus wave 1 was $190 for Imperials or $200 for Rebels.

Which isn't to say that aiming that high is a great idea, mind. 

Nice stuff, the AT-ST and the Snowspeeder (never knew the real name is airspeeder) are quite nice but getting the same guys in both Trooper expansions as in the core set is a sad thing.

Megatronrex likes this

1 minute ago, Iceeagle85 said:

Nice stuff, the AT-ST and the Snowspeeder (never knew the real name is airspeeder) are quite nice but getting the same guys in both Trooper expansions as in the core set is a sad thing.

Yeah it is a little bit disappointing. I would have especially liked to see more non-human Rebels.

I'm ok with flying vehicles being a little out of scale...they are moving fast and higher up in the air, further away from the troops, so in reality they would/could appear smaller to the eye.  Also, easy to pretend that these air speeders are different models than the ones we've seen in the movies... (if you want to wrap your head around it for fluff's sake.)

Also a big flyer would be unwieldly and awkward imo. I never liked flyers in WH40k because it looked sill to have these big, hulking flyers on the table top.

I just want all of the miniatures....now. Is that so much to ask?

I'll be collecting both sides...this will be a game that is good to have both sides to get others into the game.

Edited by asgelb

I am really curious about the pilot upgrades for the AT-ST and T-47. There is only one face-down pilot shown in each picture, but that does not guarantee that there will be only one in the final product. If there is only one, I would expect for it to be generic (e.g. Airspeeder Ace or Rogue Ace). If there are multiple, we have a number of unique options for T-47s:

• Zev Senesca
  • Wedge Antilles
  • "Hobbie" Klivian
  • Luke Skywalker (not yet, unless we get another commander or two)

There are fewer unique options for AT-ST pilots. However, it does raise an interesting possibility: can we have Commander cards that are also pilot upgrades? Can General Veers command the attack while piloting an AT-ST? That would go a long way toward making it possible for two AT-STs to fit within an 800 point list.

steveisbig, Sk3tch, JBar and 1 other like this