Reaver027

All the expansions (AT-ST and more)

111 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Mimikyu said:

Is it still going to be better to get two core sets if there are unique cards only obtainable in the expansions?

Looks like grappling hooks for the rebel troopers and he comm dampeners in the speeder bikes are going to be expansion only. 

The saving grace is I think one of everthing will net you a full army. (Maybe not actually. .. maybe)

I am hoping they provide enough upgrades in the expansions to fit out the units in the core aswell. 

Edited by Sk3tch

It still seems to me that t-47 is off-scale from infantry if you compare the size of the cockpit to the height of the base, and consider that two figures are supposed to be able to fit inside that.

swl09_photo3.jpg

Edited by Mimikyu
clarity
Tirion and Robin Graves like this

Okay so I'll say it: digging the new troops (except Rebel aliens, dude, where are they? A token Duros is supposed to hold me over?) that price point is killing me! Fifty bucks for a scout walker? Aw man, come on! Twenty five bucks for speeder bikes? I was kind of able to justify this with X-wing and Armada but adding Legion to the list is really making my credit card and my bank account think twice.

That being said is there word on whether these are prepainted or do we model these as well? I'm thinking specifically vehicles here. I know we have bantered back and forth regarding prepainted versus not prepainted. Curious about the big vehicles though. I'm digging the T47s but I am having a tough time with the solid base. Wouldn't an acrylic base be more thematic? And yeah that could be a part of modelling, I know. Curious about everyone else's thoughts.

ninclouse2000 likes this

2 minutes ago, Raging Celt said:

Okay so I'll say it: digging the new troops (except Rebel aliens, dude, where are they? A token Duros is supposed to hold me over?)

Depending on painting ability you might be able to paint some of them to be different species such as Chiss, Mirialan, or Rattataki.

Nihm and Ailowynn like this

4 minutes ago, Raging Celt said:

Okay so I'll say it: digging the new troops (except Rebel aliens, dude, where are they? A token Duros is supposed to hold me over?) that price point is killing me! Fifty bucks for a scout walker? Aw man, come on! Twenty five bucks for speeder bikes? I was kind of able to justify this with X-wing and Armada but adding Legion to the list is really making my credit card and my bank account think twice.

That being said is there word on whether these are prepainted or do we model these as well? I'm thinking specifically vehicles here. I know we have bantered back and forth regarding prepainted versus not prepainted. Curious about the big vehicles though. I'm digging the T47s but I am having a tough time with the solid base. Wouldn't an acrylic base be more thematic? And yeah that could be a part of modelling, I know. Curious about everyone else's thoughts.

Yes $50 for an unpainted At-st seems way way too high.  I got a fully painted armada imperial star destroyer for that price.  Looks like a great game but the prices seem the same as Armada which is beautifully painted. I feel $35 or so would have been a fair price for an unpainted atst.  I really want this game but the prices are scary.  I was hoping this game would be a bit cheaper since it’s not painted. 

Thraug and quantumsheep like this

37 minutes ago, Raging Celt said:

From the snow speeder article: " Along with the beautifully sculpted, unpainted miniature..." So unpainted.

Tirion likes this

Excited by this news, but a little bummed everything is monopose and the same sculpts. 

Hope it’s not the case. Will need to raid the WotC minis collection for conversion parts!

Nihm likes this

Ok ... new guy type question ...

My interpretation of the press releases are upgrade cards coming with the Imperials are unique to Imperials and for use by Imperials.  Likewise, Rebel gear comes with Rebel cards for use by Rebel troops.  The cards are not intended to be swapped.  

Not an X-Wing expert ... previous dabbler ... and I remember their being cards specific to a Faction and, then, common upgrades shared by all.  

As of now, it appears the expansions come with cards specific to their faction and, thus, not a need to buy all of them just to have every card.

Or ... am I way off the mark and, yes, I should in fact planning on buying 2 of everything just to have the required "cool" cards to have an even remotely playable army a month after release?

Price points ... little aggressive on the speeder & AT-ST.  Especially given the ability in the US to purchase the Bandai models for $17 at a Hobby Lobby.   Alas, the Bandai models don't have the upgrade cards so ... sort of stuck. 

The figure packs breakdown 7 for $25 (no tax) at $3.57.  The price for a 3 pack of IA Alliance Rangers without tax is roughly $3 per.  Figure a little bit more plastic required for the larger models and it does not seem FFG is gouging on the minis.  

The vehicles ... yeah ... tad bit overpriced

3 hours ago, JBar said:

The silver lining is that at least it won't topple over as easy I guess.

This is probably the case. No need to make a model that just falls over all the time. The X-Wing blockage runner was elongated/made skinny and bugged the **** out of me until I checked the balance on it. It has very good balance due to the distortion of the model. It does have two stands, so I am not sure why it needed such good balance.

Edited by Mep

If the fits on the weapon hardpoints are nice and chunky like Rune Wars you won’t need magnates.   

But uh yeah I fully expect I will never own an FFG AT-ST while I still own the bandai one. I will print my own cards and cut my own base for it. It’s too gorgeous to not play with it.

4 hours ago, devin.pike.1989 said:

Although it then does go on to mention the New grappling hook card upgrade.  Still, if it is just a single card it isnt really woth the extra cost

Even if you get 2 cores you still need an extra 2 units to max out the rank limits, so i'm still of the opinion 2 cores is optimal.

Of course if you expect to run double at st's as a permanent fixture you may have a hard time getting them on the table

poke450 likes this

They said there are some modding options like the flaps on the airspeeder. I wonder how static the legs are or if you can get the at-st into a different pose?

5 hours ago, Animewarsdude said:

From the snow speeder article: " Along with the beautifully sculpted, unpainted miniature..." So unpainted.

Yeah didn't catch that. Thanks!

3 hours ago, poke450 said:

The price points seem well in line with hobby miniature games like 40k, etc.

I was really hoping for something reasonable, something outside of 40K. Fifty bucks for a model and a set of cards seems excessive.

ninclouse2000 and Thraug like this

3 hours ago, TylerTT said:

But uh yeah I fully expect I will never own an FFG AT-ST while I still own the bandai one. I will print my own cards and cut my own base for it. It’s too gorgeous to not play with it.

Bingo.

6 hours ago, Raging Celt said:

The difference between the materials of the ISD and ATST here is gonna be different. I expect the AT-ST have much more plastic and weight compared to an ISD honestly.

I expect FFG to price these in line with other miniature games because they know people will pay those prices regardless of production costs. X-Wing/Armada players play a game. These miniature "games" are a hobby more than a game and the people who get into this hobby are willing to pay more. 

In the end far more units of X-Wing will sell than Legion so even if the margins are slimmer on X-Wing their is more money is there.

4 minutes ago, Mep said:

I expect FFG to price these in line with other miniature games because they know people will pay those prices regardless of production costs. X-Wing/Armada players play a game. These miniature "games" are a hobby more than a game and the people who get into this hobby are willing to pay more. 

In the end far more units of X-Wing will sell than Legion so even if the margins are slimmer on X-Wing their is more money is there.

They are also using a more variety of sculpts for the models which is cool.

Tirion likes this