Marinealver

FFG thanks you for meeting the demands for an Official List Builder.

Just now, VanderLegion said:

The biggest reason is probably that the alt-arts aren't tournament legal.  If you're using an unofficial alt-art, you only technically have a legal list if you ALSO have the original card.  All of my alt arts are sleeved with the original card behind them just in case.

hu? no the reason why the explanation sounded legit to me is because there are people making money off the Disney IP without payin Disney who do not have the licence. So if Disney wanted FFG to issue a warning to the alt-art community along the lines of "your alt art are no longer allowed in OP even with the original card" it makes a lot of sense. After that, expect cease and desist orders to all the card makers. I know a few card makers who have always been concerned with the C&D notice. 

I know they can't just print up a hundred thousand updated cards and ship them across the country for free, so I'm more than willing to pay for these tournament packs.  I still think it's insane that they've been pumping out alt. art cards and they haven't been the cards that actually NEED reprinting.

And as much as I love the X-Wing Squadron Builder android app, I think it's time for an official one.

Edited by Arttemis

1 hour ago, Marinealver said:

But point is now your cards are completely point less and out dated.

How is it different from card text?!

There is literally no change to what we had before - they changed card symbols before, they changed card symbols at another place now.

We've had this discussion before, and I know you won't budge, but I still can't understand why you put so much more value on symbols and point costs than card text. If anything the card text is worse because it can be confusing during the game where everyone is a bit more stressed and occupied, while upgrade slots and point cost affects list building before the game where it's less of a problem.

8 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

How is it different from card text?!

There is literally no change to what we had before - they changed card symbols before, they changed card symbols at another place now.

We've had this discussion before, and I know you won't budge, but I still can't understand why you put so much more value on symbols and point costs than card text. If anything the card text is worse because it can be confusing during the game where everyone is a bit more stressed and occupied, while upgrade slots and point cost affects list building before the game where it's less of a problem.

No I won't budge.

but FFG listens to those that share your opinions so what does it matter. I have explained again and again but since it has happened there is no point to argue. If I don't like it that much I can treat it like Hearthstone after their consumer unfriendly practice. Still this is a way to lessen that impact but as it has been mentioned before there is more profit in consumer unfriendly than consumer friendly. So yeah once again my pleas fallen on the deaf ears such as yours. Keep defending the whalers.

An official list builder would bother me, actually.

Yet Another X-wing Minatures Squad Builder is my absolute go-to favorite; if they have an official app you're almost certain to see it become mandatory for squad building in tournaments. What are the odds it lets you have so many handy options for, eg, printing? The FFG apps to date have tended to be pretty barebones in functionality.

The changes made to the game was because the game was defective, hence my old misprinted cards are defective. I should be able to exchange my misprinted defective cards for new correctly printed cards. I don't want a 3rd party or even my own print out to replace a defective product. I would like my defective product to simply be replace.

Seriously, there are too many errata now and the only way to keep up is replacement. Using the old, out dated and now misprinted cards is too confusing. There needs to be a replacement program.

2 minutes ago, marcnelsonjr said:

It's not like FFG sends the X-Wing police to every store event to enforce the card requirement. All you have to do is stop enforcing it and let everyone know that printouts are legal. It's our game.

No, but for anything store championship or above, all it takes is one tattletale and the store could be in hot water.

1 hour ago, Squark said:

No, but for anything store championship or above, all it takes is one tattletale and the store could be in hot water.

Probably why FFG has made store and regional championship separate from Premier events such as Nationals, and Worlds. That way if Disney finds out proxied cards were used at regionals FFG has enough plausible distance to say that they are not giving out the trademarked brand since they still have total control over the premier events.

However if the included Regionals as premier events then having errata cards available to participants is a must. I might even find an exchange suitable.

5 hours ago, HolySorcerer said:

FFG makes money when people buy ships just for the upgrades (TLT, EM, AT, etc) so they are strongly incentivized to require original cards.

They lose money when people get pissed about this kind of errata when people bought expansions for cards which are not valid anymore. If the cards become goodies instead of essentials, FFG can increase the frequency of massive card changes and rotate the power houses and thus increase expansion sales this way ...

… basically what GW did and why people hate GW. ^_^

So I rather print my proxies myself, which solves not only the issue with buying expansions just for cards, but as well the updating old cards to new faqs :P

Just now, SEApocalypse said:

They lose money when people get pissed about this kind of errata when people bought expansions for cards which are not valid anymore. If the cards become goodies instead of essentials, FFG can increase the frequency of massive card changes and rotate the power houses and thus increase expansion sales this way ...

So I rather print my proxies myself, which solves not only the issue with buying expansions just for cards, but as well the updating old cards to new faqs :P

I agree, this would be my preference as well and seems better suited to the long term health of the game (especially for attracting new players), but how many Star Vipers did they sell?  Nobody was buying them to fly, I can tell you that.

4 minutes ago, HolySorcerer said:

I agree, this would be my preference as well and seems better suited to the long term health of the game (especially for attracting new players), but how many Star Vipers did they sell?  Nobody was buying them to fly, I can tell you that.

Mindlink Guri+Palob gave me actually a few top 4 results :P
I still bought my two Star Vipers for the autothrusters ;-)

17 minutes ago, HolySorcerer said:

I absolutely bought my starviper a to fly, and flew them quite a bit :)

13 hours ago, Marinealver said:

If I don't like it that much I can treat it like Hearthstone after their consumer unfriendly practice.

Bit of a tangent, but what has Hearthstone done that's consumer unfriendly?  As far as I'm aware, every time they've made major changes to a card, they've let you disenchant it for full value which seemed like a good approach - letting them do nerfs without screwing anyone over in the process.  It's been a while since I last played though, so I may have missed something...

Edited by Jarval

16 hours ago, HolySorcerer said:

FFG makes money when people buy ships just for the upgrades (TLT, EM, AT, etc) so they are strongly incentivized to require original cards.

They've already lost money from me, I haven't bought a single ship from the last several wave because of this marketing/rules/faq/new mechanics strategy.  I suspect there are others and though I'm just a small fraction of their gross sales, if I am just one of many then it may already be affecting sales.  Who knows beyond they marketing and sales and they are incentivized not to tell us.

17 hours ago, Stay On The Leader said:

As I understand it they're about to go the opposite direction and ban alt art proxies (and actually police it).

Alt art cards have got too widespread and it's got onto somebody's radar that people are making money from unlicensed Star Wars art, and that FFG are tacitly consenting to it by allowing them to be used in their tournaments.

Unofficial alt art cards have -never- been allowed, this is nothing new.

At the last couple premier events, FFG has even made announcements staying that official cards MUST be used.

38 minutes ago, DekoPuma said:

Unofficial alt art cards have -never- been allowed, this is nothing new.

At the last couple premier events, FFG has even made announcements staying that official cards MUST be used.

You do realize a lot of the top tables at this years Worlds had unofficial alt art cards. It may have been a rule but as many US premiere events of the past year or so as shown they are not enforcing this rule. 

12 hours ago, SEApocalypse said:

And how much money do they lose if they piss off their licensor? 

Hold unofficial tournaments.  Allow whatever you would.

The most fun tournament I ever attended was held in a brewery/used book store.  Some folks used cards, others used printed lists.  There were scenarios each round, beer was drunk, sandwiches were ingested, dice were rolled, and a fine time was had by all.  Prizes were handed out.  No hoots were given about sanctioned status.