Marinealver

FFG thanks you for meeting the demands for an Official List Builder.

honestly, agreed

as necessary as I feel the erratas are, it's going to be a massive pain in the *** to keep all this **** in order and the mistakes weren't made on the part of the playerbase

moreso for the official list builder suggestion, though. Otherwise, it's going to be a mess keeping track of unofficial printouts and alt art proxies at larger events

Edited by ficklegreendice

If FFG is going to continue to hold the rules hostage by printing them on cards and scattering them throughout different expansions, then they have to send out free updated cards. 

At the store where I play, we've almost all ditched the cards and gone either to printouts from list-builders or apps. I encourage others to do the same.

6 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

Care to elaborate?:mellow:

As I understand it they're about to go the opposite direction and ban alt art proxies (and actually police it).

Alt art cards have got too widespread and it's got onto somebody's radar that people are making money from unlicensed Star Wars art, and that FFG are tacitly consenting to it by allowing them to be used in their tournaments.

2 minutes ago, Stay On The Leader said:

As I understand it they're about to go the opposite direction and ban alt art proxies (and actually police it).

Alt art cards have got too widespread and it's got onto somebody's radar that people are making money from unlicensed Star Wars art, and that FFG are tacitly consenting to it by allowing them to be used in their tournaments.

that explanation sounds very legit.

I'm actually surprised alt-arts were not cracked on by the mouse a lot earlier. If this happened it's going to happen to alt arts too. 

6 minutes ago, HolySorcerer said:

FFG makes money when people buy ships just for the upgrades (TLT, EM, AT, etc) so they are strongly incentivized to require original cards.

On the other hand, they lose money when people are driven away from the game due to awkward tournament guidelines or confusing rule changes. As ficklegreendice said, they might be good errata, but the game definitely needs a way to make up for inconsistent printings or it'll hurt in the long run.

Edited by Jokubas

Just now, Rinzler in a Tie said:

+1 for an official squad builder. 

FFG's new Interactive work stream has their first assignment. 

People seem to be misunderstanding what FFGI is actually doing. FFGI is making video games- Board game supplementary Apps will still be in house.

A squad builder would be awesome, but I'd also want a PDF of all the cards with corrected text.  It is really needed for a pickup game.  If you're already at the store you may not have your printer handy nor would everyone have their tablet for their own squad.  Please with a PDF of the cards I wouldn't worry so much about sleeves :D

Please!

11 minutes ago, HolySorcerer said:

Agreed.  FFG needs to release an official squad builder, and printouts from said squad builder should be considered valid.  That, or they need to start offering replacement cards for those that receive serious errata.

Same for me, cards requirement should be removed. Not only the FAQ make them incorrect but this will make the game more accessible for new players (and this is important in some countries / small cities)

concerning the printing of cards, just say that arbiters may disqualifies players if they come with unofficial cards with incorrect text (including numbers like cost, range, attack value), that will make .

+1 for the App, you can even hire me to work on it !

I'm actually going to do this, just to be renegade! 

I will promise to bring printed cards out in my next official tournament, even if I would get kicked out. Honestly my gaming is getting pretty distracted by all these changes that I almost feel like I need to do it to stay focused in my game. :P

Anyone here has idea what is best type of an paper to get these cards out equal quality as possible? 

I kinda hate that I do have to agree with printing, if anyone would have asked me yesterday I would have been highly against it, but now I need change my opinion here.. :huh:

Doesn't EA hold the license to make Star Wars video games? It'd seem weird to have two major partners each hold a conflicting license for the product.

As for why they won't allow non-FFG cards to be used at official events... Disney maintains a tight hold on their intellectual property (as any company should that cares for their property). If, in a legal sense, a company doesn't enforce their rights to the images/names/characters/likenesses/etc. and lets things go, then they can potentially lose claim on them in the future. Allowing people to print their own images/names/etc. of the intellectual property of the SW universe, would mean that Disney/LFL could potentially lose control of their property.

So yeah, it'll never happen.

10 minutes ago, Ken at Sunrise said:

Whether X-Wing 2.0, card packs, new rules or what, the future growth of this game may become limited by its very weight of the rules, mechanics, ever growing FAQ, interactions, etc.  Do you want an easy Star Wars game to play? This may not be it.

Which ironically was the original appeal of the game when it first came out. The core set was cheap (compared to warhammer 40,000) it was simple to play and easy to get in. Now with all the accretion and rules creep not so much.

16 minutes ago, Slugrage said:

Doesn't EA hold the license to make Star Wars video games? It'd seem weird to have two major partners each hold a conflicting license for the product.

As for why they won't allow non-FFG cards to be used at official events... Disney maintains a tight hold on their intellectual property (as any company should that cares for their property). If, in a legal sense, a company doesn't enforce their rights to the images/names/characters/likenesses/etc. and lets things go, then they can potentially lose claim on them in the future. Allowing people to print their own images/names/etc. of the intellectual property of the SW universe, would mean that Disney/LFL could potentially lose control of their property.

So yeah, it'll never happen.

First off, an app to assist a miniature game would not be categorized under the distinction of a video game.  Furthermore, not every Star Wars game falls under EA's umbrella; look at the Lego Star Wars game.  

10 minutes ago, Ken at Sunrise said:

Whether X-Wing 2.0, card packs, new rules or what, the future growth of this game may become limited by its very weight of the rules, mechanics, ever growing FAQ, interactions, etc.  Do you want an easy Star Wars game to play? This may not be it.

With a 2.0 overhaul, so much of the game can be streamlined.  Developers can look at gameplay mechanics introduced in later waves and apply it to the entirety of the library.  Just look at the reload action on the Alpha Class Star Wing Gunboat and its reload action.  That action alone removes the need for Munitions Failsafe and Extra Munitions.  If they take a long, hard look at the different upgrades released to fix certain issues and address them directly, then consider different dice options for different probabilities/accuracies, turret implementation vs mobile firing arcs, available upgrade slots, and dials, this game could be made more consistent.  

36 minutes ago, Rinzler in a Tie said:

Can you be more explicit? I skimmed the two articles that are floating around... 

Not sure how that's unclear - FFGI will be making video games based on FFG's properties.  So think things like 'TES V: Skyrim', but using FFG's Terrinoth setting (Runewars/Descent/etc) instead of the Elder Scrolls.  Or 'Resident Evil' set in the Arkham Horror universe.  Or 'Deus Ex' set in the Android universe.  More likely they will start with direct board-to-video game adaptations where they can.  For example, you can pick up Space Hulk on Steam - take a look at that as an idea, as it's a completely faithful adaptation of the boardgame.  Ditto, more or less, the older 'Starfleet Command' games as straight (more or less) adaptations of Star Fleet Battles.  etc. (Just spitballing - you get the idea)

FFG, proper, remains with their own software development team focus on creating apps for tying into their board- and miniature- games.

4 minutes ago, xanderf said:

Not sure how that's unclear - FFGI will be making video games based on FFG's properties.  So think things like 'TES V: Skyrim', but using FFG's Terrinoth setting (Runewars/Descent/etc) instead of the Elder Scrolls.  Or 'Resident Evil' set in the Arkham Horror universe.  Or 'Deus Ex' set in the Android universe.  More likely they will start with direct board-to-video game adaptations where they can.  For example, you can pick up Space Hulk on Steam - take a look at that as an idea, as it's a completely faithful adaptation of the boardgame.  Ditto, more or less, the older 'Starfleet Command' games as straight (more or less) adaptations of Star Fleet Battles.  etc. (Just spitballing - you get the idea)

FFG, proper, remains with their own software development team focus on creating apps for tying into their board- and miniature- games.

Alright, thanks, could've done w/o the 'tude, though... Not that I asked you. 

A lot of people are forgetting that FFG makes money by getting you to buy ships you don't want in order to get cards you do.  It's basically their entire business model in both this game and in Armada.  How many StarVipers would FFG had sold if you could legally proxy Autothrusters?

1 hour ago, Wiredin said:

that explanation sounds very legit.

I'm actually surprised alt-arts were not cracked on by the mouse a lot earlier. If this happened it's going to happen to alt arts too. 

The biggest reason is probably that the alt-arts aren't tournament legal.  If you're using an unofficial alt-art, you only technically have a legal list if you ALSO have the original card.  All of my alt arts are sleeved with the original card behind them just in case.